Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My sc4 Progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 10:14 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need some help...

Soooo another problem just came up. Went to the gym and was sitting in the car with the windows down and the radio on waiting for my friend to get there. When I went to roll up the windows, they were even slower than normal, and I noticed right before they would reach the top, it would cut the radio off... Did it a few times in a row to see if it was consistent and it was. When the air was on, it cut the radio off at about half way up. So I just figured another electrical issue with the car and went inside. Came back out and went to start the car it didn't make the clicking noise where it doesn't start, but instead it made a click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click really fast and the cluster lights were flickering during the noise. The radio worked and the air worked with the key in accessory mode but it wouldn't start.

What should I do...? The car's currently sitting in the gyms parking lot (neighborhood gym) which is a mile away from my house. Thanks...

Last edited by BeaksSC; 03-10-15 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 11:55 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Alright

So we tested the battery strength with no key and it was at 12 but with the key in accessory mode, the battery started at about 10 and then was going down by .01 or so per second. So we jumped it and I drove it home and we tested it again and it was still dropping, was about to be below 9 when I got it home. So I'm going to take the battery up to autozone or somewhere to have it tested, but we think it could be the alternator... Still need to make sure all the connectors are on tight but it's still too hot right now.
Old 10-11-14, 02:05 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Took the alternator to have it checked and it was completely done for. Guy said he had never heard an alternator hum the way mine was in 30 years of working on cars. So got a new one, installed it and it works. Everything was back to normal. So that's fixed.

But I just can't catch a break. Painted the trac cover since I never got around to it and took out a bolt in the intake but then put it back in right after. Tightening it down and it broke in the manifold. fml. That's the whole reason why we switched manifolds in the first place. The other one has a bolt in the exact same spot broken in it. And this is the one I spent time painting and what not. Just annoying to say the least. Guess I should have bought 100 10mm bolts when I bought the car since these expire at 20 years old apparently. Always something with this car to ruin a day after you fix something else.
Old 10-11-14, 04:51 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Broken bolts suck. I have one in the bottom of the block where it holds the bracket for the ignition coil. Theres no way I'm getting it out without taking the belt off. Which I'm not gonna do. At least the car runs fine now and you have no immediate problems.

Old cars are like a girl on her time of the month. Some days they wanna do fun things to you and then the next they wouldn't mind having you dead.
Old 10-11-14, 05:39 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldManTan
Broken bolts suck. I have one in the bottom of the block where it holds the bracket for the ignition coil. Theres no way I'm getting it out without taking the belt off. Which I'm not gonna do. At least the car runs fine now and you have no immediate problems.

Old cars are like a girl on her time of the month. Some days they wanna do fun things to you and then the next they wouldn't mind having you dead.
Yeah, I drove with the other one broke for a while and it drove just fine. I don't know what possible issues can arise from it.

Last edited by BeaksSC; 10-15-14 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-25-14, 08:41 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Since we replaced the alternator, I haven't noticed the air conditioning light blinking... Is it possible that the poor alternator was just too weak and causing that to act up? Thought that was kind of weird but it could make sense. Maybe the car decided to fix itself for a change.

So that a new thing can appear.

Last edited by BeaksSC; 03-10-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 05:12 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Have you looked at your ecu? You're having problems left and right maybe it's just the ecu?? I don't remember if you did or not so just saying.
Old 10-26-14, 07:17 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

We have not yet. I guess we should probably take a look at that. Can that cause these random things to start crapping out? Only thing to look at on the ecu is for leaking capacitors right? If I get time this week, I'll look into it and try to see if it could be the problem.
Old 10-26-14, 09:58 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BeaksSC
We have not yet. I guess we should probably take a look at that. Can that cause these random things to start crapping out? Only thing to look at on the ecu is for leaking capacitors right? If I get time this week, I'll look into it and try to see if it could be the problem.
yea exactly, leaky capacitors are an issue. and if i'm not mistaken 94-95 are the most famous for faulty ECUs, i might be wrong on that but that's the pattern i've noticed on here.
Old 04-08-15, 11:55 AM
DShiekhi
Driver

Default One Sexy SC: This Lexus SC 400 is Simply Good-Looking

One Sexy SC: This Lexus SC 400 is Simply Good-Looking

Forum member BeaksSC's 152,000-mile 1995 Lexus SC 400 has had more than its share of complications. Despite those, visually, it's very simple: clean and white.

Read the rest on the ClubLexus.com homepage. >>