Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

something never been done to the headlights

Old 09-11-14, 10:42 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default something never been done to the headlights

well since i like to mess around and spend money on stuff that usually won't work, i've decided to try and modify the headlights to look like this

See the 3 L's inside the headlight. i'll be attempting to model, 3D print and wire up some freakin dope LEDs for the SC headlights. SC headlights are perfect for this too because of the pretty large gap where the city light is. it probably won't be all 3 L shapes, but either 1 or 2. we'll see. the L shapes will be replacing the city light completely and will mount in the same hole so no new holes or anything will have to be drilled or glued. just double sided tape probably to keep it from vibrating or something.

3D printing is cheap at one of the chicago libraries so that's where i'll be doing all my test prints. once i have the shape and dimensions correct, the wiring will begin. any and all tips on wiring will be appreciated since the only thing i've wired were LED strips to other lights and soldered some LEDs onto a board.

for the LEDs themselves i'll be using PLCC2 LEDs since they're cheap and super bright. i got 500 from ebay for 7 dollars lol, so yea... maybe later i'll use some bigger LEDs but for now i think 2 columns of LEDs in the lights will be fine and bright enough.

i'm getting some donor lights from LexiiBabe to measure and get the dimensions for the 3D model correct, and for fitting so i don't have to take my own headlights apart. this would be much much harder if LexiiBabe didn't melt his/her (i'm not sure about the gender, idk if anyone is lol) headlights so thanks very much for your mishap lol and sending me those headlights. hopefully i'll receive them ASAP so i could start measuring. i've started modeling the shapes and will upload some screenshots this weekend.

hope this makes you guys and gals excited as i am. if i perfect this, we might even be able to do custom designs and STUFF!!!
Old 09-12-14, 05:59 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw up some renders when you have them
Old 09-12-14, 09:16 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

definitely will! can't wait for the donor lights to come in.
Old 09-14-14, 10:26 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

the LEDs i'll be using for the lights, they're PLCC2 LEDs and i've used them before on an xB dash and many of its other lighting components. these lights are really bright and i think will look great.
here's how they looked in the xB dash

and some other spots

Old 09-15-14, 09:55 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Should look good, can't wait to see them in their housings
Old 09-15-14, 05:07 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

the housings came in! test fitted the Halos i got off superbrighleds. they're the 90mm ones and they fit perfectly!!! can't wait to start measuring stuff up. gonna be weird since everything is curved and shaped so weird. i realized the gap isn't so big in the back of the headlight. so i'll probably be extending the Ls to the front, almost near the lens. we'll see how that will turn out. renders will come sometime this week. got finals next week so trying to get done with school then i'll get to this.
PICTURES!!!

Old 09-15-14, 05:07 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

one more picture, for some reason it didn't work.
Old 09-16-14, 10:52 PM
headlite
Driver School Candidate

Sweeeeeeeet
Old 09-17-14, 01:37 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

got some measurements today before work. these are just rough and won't matter much, just approximations to get the model the right size so it will fit in the headlight with minor modification after the print.

almost done with finals so i'll start modeling this ASAP during break
Old 09-18-14, 06:09 AM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for the final product.... Keep at it man!
Old 09-18-14, 09:12 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

BeaksSC made me realize on the city light the measurement says 3 3/3" it's supposed to be 3 3/8", just saying if anyone is curious lol. gonna try to start modeling that part today. i'm hoping the light fixture will just slide right into the same spot as the city light and just replace it.
Old 09-18-14, 06:46 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

started modeling the lights. for now just doing the parts that will insert into the original headlight city lamp hole. very simple model for now and hopefully will print it next week and test fit it. once i have that done. it will basically be just whatever and staying within the confines of the measurements and trying to make it look good.

for anyone wondering, i'm using Autodesk Maya 2014, which isn't great for precise things like this, but it will work. the perfect program would be AutoCAD.
these are just some pictures of the very first stage of the prototype. you can see i've drawn out measurements in the 3D space to somewhat close to what they were in real life. hopefully everything will fit.

Last edited by oldManTan; 09-18-14 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-19-14, 08:29 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting! Subscribed..
Old 09-19-14, 11:11 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 09-20-14, 04:33 PM
LexiiBabe
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haha yea I'm a guy Lexii is just my babe that's all. I was planning on messing with the headlight by painting it black but you had a better plan with it so why not send it to you instead. We need more people like you to come up with stuff for our rides. The halos are cheap too. Looking forward for the finished product ( I should maybe get a little discount lol) Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: something never been done to the headlights