Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

something never been done to the headlights

Old 03-24-15, 06:19 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
aahh! I searched Rain Led Strip or falling led strip and found some if anyone is looking. very cool man!
yea on ebay when i looked for them i search meteor shower, because you're supposed to hang them from trees or something and they look like meteor showers. they're all over the place, only problem is finding them for a good price. good luck!
Old 04-12-15, 12:20 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

finished product! figured out how to modify the flasher thanks to Ali, all i had to do was jump the capacitor and no more flashing! next up will be the headlights, gonna sink some time into getting some new models test printed, then start modifying my spare housings and wiring up those lights. have some sweet ideas for those.

Old 04-12-15, 12:44 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

That looks so badass man, great work! Inspiration for me to work on my own tail lights.
Old 04-12-15, 02:39 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
That looks so badass man, great work! Inspiration for me to work on my own tail lights.
nice man, that's what i was hoping this would do. i've never seen custom 92-94 tails so thats why i did these, i could have done 97s but they have already been done. hopefully this will spark more creativity in the community, i don't see much DIY stuff anymore, just people buying stuff usually.
Old 04-13-15, 09:11 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is so awesome!!! good job with this
Old 04-14-15, 06:59 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

thanks dude, there's more to come, it will get even more exciting from now on.
Old 04-16-15, 08:37 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

update!!! got pulled over today, officer said he didn't see me use the turn signals so i had to show him that they work and he said they're too dim. reason for this is because in direct sunlight, the light from the sun fills the housing with reflective light which washes out the light coming from the LEDs, to remedy this hopefully, i tinted the tail ights with vinyl. i think they look great, hopefully they're more visible in sunlight now.

this weekend i'm hoping to finish modeling the triple beam L housings and start concepting how i'll wire them. i'm getting mroe and more excited about this, don't have pictures but i also started cutting up the spare headlight housings i have that will hold these lights.
Old 04-18-15, 12:38 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

the tints turned out too dark, i'm going into full clear lens production. anyone got any tips on making a mold?
Old 04-18-15, 11:41 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, looks very cool man.
Old 04-18-15, 12:15 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

can you guys guess what's next???
Old 04-18-15, 12:28 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read up on various mold making ventures, and it's way more trouble than it's worth, and results are far from perfect usually. The final pieces always seem to look "home-brewed" if you know what I mean...(Not 'Lexus' quality standards.) You could start with a set of cheap Ebay Altezza lights, since you're replacing all of the internals with LED anyways; then could use the clear inner diffuser lens from the 92-94, and/or 95-96 factory SC lights inside, with some cutting around the edges.

ScottURNot used my idea to combine the 97-00 outer lenses and housing with some 95-96 clear/red inners, to produce reverse 50/50 tails which is a similar idea (You've probably seen)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iy-thread.html

Good luck either way. Another idea would be to combine the clear outer lens of the Altezza style Ebay lights, with the inner housings from the Ebay 50/50 red/clear style tails. They probably use the same overall design mold, so might fit together without any cutting.

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 04-18-15 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 03:35 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
can you guys guess what's next???
Thermal forming?
Old 04-19-15, 07:20 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Thermal forming?
i guess that's the technical way to call it? i'm making clear lenses yes. and i have an idea for making headlights as well. it involves liquid plastic and fiberglass molds, should be fun
Old 04-19-15, 10:20 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i guess that's the technical way to call it? i'm making clear lenses yes. and i have an idea for making headlights as well. it involves liquid plastic and fiberglass molds, should be fun
The process is actually called thermoforming (I was close). The liquid plastic sounds interesting and I hope it works out for you. The only concern that comes to mind is what is the optical clarity like? Can light be dispersed properly through the liquid plastic?
Old 04-20-15, 03:39 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The process is actually called thermoforming (I was close). The liquid plastic sounds interesting and I hope it works out for you. The only concern that comes to mind is what is the optical clarity like? Can light be dispersed properly through the liquid plastic?
yes, the liquid plastic is usually used for encasing coins and stuff like dried bugs and leafs. it's really sturdy and actually kind of flexible so it won't crack, it doesn't really matter on the clarity too because it will go on the edge of the light and not on the actual lens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: something never been done to the headlights