Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

something never been done to the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 11:56 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

this awesome weather means awesome progress!!! the tail lights are so close to finished!!! just have the running lights and reverse lights to wire and it will be time to seal them up!!! just gotta buy some silicon tmr, hopefully i can get it all done.
So first i decided to paint the inside black because i thought it would look nice with the lens on, and i didn't want to smoke the lenses (still not completley decided on that)

prepping the original bulb sockets for wiring, this way no harness is ruined and i can just unplug the bulbs whenever i so please

Turn signal and Brake lights laid out, running lights will go on the bottom left and right corners

was having an absolute pain with this awful gel coating on the "waterproof" LED strips, should have read into that and bought non waterproof ones, just an extra step but whatever

magical wiring

all prepped and insides grinded out with the trusty rotary tool i got on ebay for 25 bucks!

the turn signal wiring for the bulb socket, not fun, solder doesn't like sticking to flat surfaces like that, that aren't copper

test lighting! plugged into the car and working straight off the harness!

and with the lens resting on top! looks EPIC!!! i actually like how towards the left the lights get further away from the lens and diffuse more

hopefully i'll get it completely done tomorrow so i can start working on making some sort of relay to replace the flasher, because the turn signals will be chasing they need to stay on when i flick the turn signal. once that's done, will start working on the headlights, still need to finish modeling and test printing the Ls though, but short on cash right now. gonna have to wait.
Old 03-16-15, 05:01 AM
TokinSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work. They will look killer when finished.
Old 03-16-15, 12:58 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TokinSC400
Good work. They will look killer when finished.
yea i'm really excited to finish them, just seeing the brake light with the lens on hyped me up like crazy, not gonna finish today though, got other plans, great day outside gonna fly my drone.
Old 03-17-15, 10:36 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
it's the second ever toyota badge, it's TO YO TA written in Katakana font. this was the logo that changed the name of the company from TOYODA to TOYOTA, because writing TOYODA would have been bad luck because it would have been 10 strokes instead of 8, so TOYOTA stuck instead of TOYODA.

here's a great read
http://japantravelcafe.com/japanese-...-2-toyota-logo
Very cool! thanks for the reply.
Old 03-17-15, 07:24 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

big update, both lights are wired now, only thing left on both is the running lights, need to get some more brackets for that though and also silicon to seal them which looks like it will be difficult because when i pried them open the casing got a little warped.
Old 03-19-15, 01:01 PM
MishaV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woow damn. Please keep us updated. so cool!
Just used a same ledstrip as yours for the repair of the third brake light in the spoiler of my 00 sc4.
Old 03-19-15, 01:22 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MishaV
Woow damn. Please keep us updated. so cool!
Just used a same ledstrip as yours for the repair of the third brake light in the spoiler of my 00 sc4.
yea these LED strips are great, the only problem is getting that awful gel coating off for soldering, that's a real pain, i figured the best way is to use a carving bit on a rotary tool and scrape it off as close to the solder points as possible, then the soldering iron melts the rest. got some silicon yesterday, still need to get some brackets, menards is kinda far from my house so that's why i don't wanna go since i need to change my bearings ASAP
Old 03-22-15, 07:30 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

TAIL LIGHTS ARE DONE!!!
just waiting for the silicon to dry, everything works, decided to go with one running light instead of two, don't know why, probably out of laziness and because it was a pain to mount a bracket in that big hole there. still looks great i think. last thing to do is mod the flasher so it doesn't flash and just stays on. can't wait to get started on the headlights as well!

Scientifically proven ziptie fastening technique, works wonderfully

and here's the running, reverse, and brake lights on

i love how the running light is fully diffused and the brake light fades into the diffuser towards the left side to match the running light, that was not intended but i'm happy it turned out that way. let's hope they last!
Old 03-22-15, 07:56 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

here's the video of the turn signal, remember i still gotta do the flasher so the trailing signal will go on longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4f...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-23-15, 12:49 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

looks nice lit up, that's awesome work. Are you going to be keeping the 92-94 look though, or will you be redding them out?
Old 03-23-15, 01:34 PM
ems
Lead Lap

so good, where did you get those turn signal leds from?
Old 03-23-15, 11:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
looks nice lit up, that's awesome work. Are you going to be keeping the 92-94 look though, or will you be redding them out?
I'll be keeping it the same, maybe a tiny amount of tint because the lights are reeeeaaalllly bright lol.

Originally Posted by ems
so good, where did you get those turn signal leds from?
i got them on ebay, but the seller only sells them in singles now and jacked the price up like crazy. so i'm not sure where to get them now. but they're great cz all they need is a constant 12V and they'll trail, no need for any special wiring or anything. they do need a constant current though, that's why i need to modify my flasher.
Old 03-24-15, 07:14 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should show the reverse also in the video. they came out really nice, if you made sets to sell, i would buy em. haha.
Old 03-24-15, 04:14 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

on the car, with the reverse this time
everything works as it should, just the flasher to do tomorrow because it snowed 6 inches monday, out of absolutely freaking nowhere, and it's 60 tomorrow... chicago weather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFL-...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-24-15, 04:19 PM
ems
Lead Lap

aahh! I searched Rain Led Strip or falling led strip and found some if anyone is looking. very cool man!

Quick Reply: something never been done to the headlights