Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

something never been done to the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 11:38 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i have no idea about the dimensions of a 430 light. this probably wouldn't fit at all. this is SC300/400 only. i would need a spare 430 light to be able to change the dimensions if needed.
Old 02-16-15, 05:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old Man Tan ( I will call you OMT, if ok),

I have been following your work on this and it is most certainly intriguing...I do love the new Lexus lighting, but fabricating the Lexus "L" and fitting it to the OEM SC headlight (Especially on the inside corner and then stretched out in front along the front outer curve of the headlight), will, in my humble opinion, be exceptionally problematic at best, and not even doable at worst.

There simply is not enough room to fit the bottom of the "L" so that it does not block the lower section of the light. It would be like having an extra cut-off at the bottom of the light as it projects in front of the car.

The only way to do it is to completely fabricate the inner housing of the headlight. And it would be interesting to make it fit the dimensions of the light.

I have spent some time on this, and it is maddening...Especially that there are no more SuperMade clear lenses and only the lenses off of the eBay headlights.

Good ideas though and I hope you come up with a functional and aesthetic solution.

Ryan
Old 02-16-15, 07:13 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Old Man Tan ( I will call you OMT, if ok),

I have been following your work on this and it is most certainly intriguing...I do love the new Lexus lighting, but fabricating the Lexus "L" and fitting it to the OEM SC headlight (Especially on the inside corner and then stretched out in front along the front outer curve of the headlight), will, in my humble opinion, be exceptionally problematic at best, and not even doable at worst.

There simply is not enough room to fit the bottom of the "L" so that it does not block the lower section of the light. It would be like having an extra cut-off at the bottom of the light as it projects in front of the car.

The only way to do it is to completely fabricate the inner housing of the headlight. And it would be interesting to make it fit the dimensions of the light.

I have spent some time on this, and it is maddening...Especially that there are no more SuperMade clear lenses and only the lenses off of the eBay headlights.

Good ideas though and I hope you come up with a functional and aesthetic solution.

Ryan
thanks for the input, but i think i can make it work, the main headlight is actually in front of this housing that im making and won't be in the way at all, it's actually pretty easy doing this. the bad part is the lens though, i'm not sure if i will try making my own or get those ebay lights, or try delining my own.
Old 02-16-15, 07:35 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
thanks for the input, but i think i can make it work, the main headlight is actually in front of this housing that im making and won't be in the way at all, it's actually pretty easy doing this. the bad part is the lens though, i'm not sure if i will try making my own or get those ebay lights, or try delining my own.
I'm curious how you're planning on making your own lenses? What process did you have in mind?

The ebay lenses will definitely be the easiest, but its hard to cut them and get a perfect seal. I tried delining a set, but I gave up on this after a couple days of sanding.
Old 02-17-15, 11:30 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I'm curious how you're planning on making your own lenses? What process did you have in mind?

The ebay lenses will definitely be the easiest, but its hard to cut them and get a perfect seal. I tried delining a set, but I gave up on this after a couple days of sanding.
i was thinking of making molds and using acrylic plastic, stick it in the oven, but a top mold over it and voila, lenses. found it on a 240 post.
http://tech.240sxone.com/404/how-to-...dlight-covers/
Old 02-17-15, 01:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool. As I said, unless you remake the inner housing, not gonna be easy or work. That is if you plan to keep the factory or other HID Lens projector. It covers the headlight from top to bottom. The "L" in front of it will block the bottom portion of the projected light.

Looks like you are remaking the housing by your post above, so that being the case, you could do anything.

Ryan
Old 02-17-15, 03:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

i was thinking of making molds and using acrylic plastic, stick it in the oven, but a top mold over it and voila, lenses. found it on a 240 post.
http://tech.240sxone.com/404/how-to-...dlight-covers/
I thought about doing something similar to that, but the SC lens has curved edges not straight edges like the s14 headlight. The inside mold would have to be 2 pieces and come out in parts (creating the separation line on the lens that both the OEM and supermade lens have. The separation line is right where the divider is for the side signal. I haven't been able to think of a way to create these for a relatively cheap cost. Everything points to injection molding which is too expensive.
Old 02-18-15, 11:48 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I thought about doing something similar to that, but the SC lens has curved edges not straight edges like the s14 headlight. The inside mold would have to be 2 pieces and come out in parts (creating the separation line on the lens that both the OEM and supermade lens have. The separation line is right where the divider is for the side signal. I haven't been able to think of a way to create these for a relatively cheap cost. Everything points to injection molding which is too expensive.
i don't get what you're saying really, the lens is just a lens, it's a pretty simple shape too. the turn signal lens is completely separate. can you elaborate or show a diagram of what you're saying?
Old 02-20-15, 09:19 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

i don't get what you're saying really, the lens is just a lens, it's a pretty simple shape too. the turn signal lens is completely separate. can you elaborate or show a diagram of what you're saying?
Hopefully I can explain this better. The front lens itself is easy to form, but the back flange that glues on to the back housing is narrower, so the edges taper in. This is a problem when doing thermal forming because you won't be able to release the lens from the mold.

The part on the left side is what will cause the problem. That's why the company that produced clear lenses a few years ago required cutting of the stock lens in order to mount it to the housing.

It's easier to understand if you have a headlight lens in front of you.
Old 02-20-15, 01:25 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

oh i see that now, yea i haven't looked at a headlight lens in a while.
Old 03-03-15, 10:46 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

i'll post my custom tail lights build in here as well.
finally got them apart, much much harder than getting the headlights open. still waiting for LED strips to come in before i start building everything, just wanna do it all in one sitting so i don't miss anything. have the turn signal LEDs ready to go, back up LEDs, just waiting for the LED strips for the brakes and running lights.

also will have to see if i like the lights with the diffuser or without, i think it would look nice and clean without, you'd be able to see the distinct LEDs and i kinda like that look.

these lights are absolutely flawless besides a slight crack on one of the lenses that i superglued, can't wait to get started on this, will take all the pictures i can.

as for the headlights, i've just been modeling the lights and been short on funds, in between freelance jobs here and there so can't really 3D print anything anyways. would love to test print some stuff though. stay tuned guys.
Old 03-09-15, 10:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

more progress on the tail lights

mounted the brackets straight to the housing with some long screws

trimmed the bolts and will seal them with silicon same as the lens

will do 2 more small brackets underneath the bottom big one around the reverse light
Old 03-12-15, 05:37 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is some wild custom work.

Not trying to de-rail the thread, but I've seen that badge on this tan coloured Japanese one. Whats the deal with that thing?
Old 03-13-15, 08:08 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by empringham
This is some wild custom work.

Not trying to de-rail the thread, but I've seen that badge on this tan coloured Japanese one. Whats the deal with that thing?
it's the second ever toyota badge, it's TO YO TA written in Katakana font. this was the logo that changed the name of the company from TOYODA to TOYOTA, because writing TOYODA would have been bad luck because it would have been 10 strokes instead of 8, so TOYOTA stuck instead of TOYODA.

here's a great read
http://japantravelcafe.com/japanese-...-2-toyota-logo
Old 03-15-15, 08:31 AM
TokinSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work and can't wait to see the finished products on the headlights and taillights.

Quick Reply: something never been done to the headlights