Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

iToaster's GS300 Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 06:11 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where did you get that rad? Is it for JZS161 or 147?
Old 08-30-14, 09:44 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by angus
Where did you get that rad? Is it for JZS161 or 147?
It's a generic aluminum radiator for the JZS161 from eBay. The fitment is decent, although the Aristo fans have different mounting points on the top compared to the GS, so I had to get a little creative. The radiator inlet on it is also swapped with the radiator cap compared to the GS, as on the Aristo, so I had to modify my radiator hose when I ran it before my swap.
Old 09-02-14, 01:34 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by iToaster
Coming along nicely, iToaster!

I must ask you, though; how did you modify the radio screen to look like this?
Old 09-02-14, 03:38 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Coming along nicely, iToaster!

I must ask you, though; how did you modify the radio screen to look like this?
Thanks. It's an inverted LCD. Essentially, it's rotating the direction of the polarization film 90 degrees. What it involves is ordering a sheet of adhesive backed polarizing film and then meticulously peeling the old polarizer off of the LCD for replacement. It took me several hours to completely remove the polarizer and clean the glass of all the old adhesive, even with practice on a dead screen from my old radio. When it's down to the clean glass, the polarizer sheet is rotated over it until the screen becomes dark, then cut to size in the proper orientation. It's a bit like brain surgery, but then end results are pretty neat. I also replaced the lighting in the radio with green LEDs while I was in there, which is why the screen is not "pale Toyota" green.
Old 09-02-14, 06:50 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by iToaster
Thanks. It's an inverted LCD. Essentially, it's rotating the direction of the polarization film 90 degrees. What it involves is ordering a sheet of adhesive backed polarizing film and then meticulously peeling the old polarizer off of the LCD for replacement. It took me several hours to completely remove the polarizer and clean the glass of all the old adhesive, even with practice on a dead screen from my old radio. When it's down to the clean glass, the polarizer sheet is rotated over it until the screen becomes dark, then cut to size in the proper orientation. It's a bit like brain surgery, but then end results are pretty neat. I also replaced the lighting in the radio with green LEDs while I was in there, which is why the screen is not "pale Toyota" green.
Wow, too cool! It's reassuring to know that there are pioneers out there who are willing to try something new. I know I'd mess something up.
Old 09-04-14, 07:14 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Now that the new motor has settled in, I'll update with some smaller things.

A fresh master key from Lexus now that I don't have to worry about an immobilizer and only having a valet key (and I can finally open my trunk from inside the car after accidentally pressing the lock):

The current interior with SD wood and whatnot:

The GS hanging out in the driveway today next to my other baby following a wash:

Plus some older pictures from when I did my audio install:

JBL MS-8 DSP installed under the trunk floor for stealth:

Front speakers: Original 4" vs 6.5" JBL P660cs. The tweeters (not pictured) are bi-amped and installed in the stock location.

Rear speakers: Original 4" vs 6.5" replacement JBL P662s.

Old 10-08-14, 02:00 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Well, bad news my fellow GS lovers. Long story short, I spun the car on wet roads trying to avoid somebody that pulled out in front of me the other day. The car bounced off of a light pole and caught the rear wheel on a culvert, crushing the rear passenger side inwards. I'll let the picture do the talking.

Thankfully, I was able to walk away without severe injuries, but the offending driver didn't stop (and maybe they're better off that way, too). Luckily, most of the parts that I put on the car are unscathed, and my swap is fine. I'll be looking for another GS, but I'm going to be a bit more selective on the next one, so luckily I've got another car to drive in the meantime. I'll make a part-out thread in the next couple of days to help fund my next GS.
Old 10-08-14, 02:45 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap! Good that you're ok, sad news about the car
Old 10-08-14, 07:37 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man.. glad you're okay bro.
Old 10-09-14, 03:03 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that looks nasty. Looks like there was an implosion where the rear wheel is supposed to be.
Old 10-09-14, 03:14 PM
jcum9472
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're ok. The build was sick.
Old 10-10-14, 09:53 AM
Bjerke
Driver School Candidate

nice build, what a shame. Good you are okey. Good luck with the new car.
Old 10-12-14, 02:24 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Damn! I was not expecting to see a destroyed car when scrolling down. Good thing about it is that you walked away without injury, and majority of your installed parts untouched. Anything you'll do differently with the next GS?
Also, how come the shift selector has the 4 instead of the M and the steering has no shift buttons? The GTE and its tranny doesn't use those features?
Old 10-12-14, 05:12 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
Damn! I was not expecting to see a destroyed car when scrolling down. Good thing about it is that you walked away without injury, and majority of your installed parts untouched. Anything you'll do differently with the next GS?
Also, how come the shift selector has the 4 instead of the M and the steering has no shift buttons? The GTE and its tranny doesn't use those features?
I'm definitely pretty happy that I came out of it unscathed with most of my parts. In fact, even the DSP under the carpet in the trunk and my rear passenger door speaker came out undamaged. The next GS will ideally be an '01+ model (even though the swap wiring is a little more challenging on those) preferably with some cool stuff like factory navigation, but we'll see what pops up. Regarding the transmission stuff, my swap was into a '98, which didn't have the e-shift feature, although I had planned to retrofit it as the GTE does support it. I actually had some parts for the retrofit show up the day after the wreck .
Old 10-13-14, 11:10 AM
bigghopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad you made it out.

What did you use as the backer panel when you installed the 6.5's?

Quick Reply: iToaster's GS300 Chronicles