95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 01:50 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

OK,
Tranny drama is over and car feels great.
I have been thinking about a more aggressive setup for a bit so I impulse purchased an AEM EMS V2 that I saw for a great price. I also ordered an AEM 5 Bar map and DeatschWerks 1000's. I don't know if I will need an FPR or not yet. I am interviewing NYC area tuners this week.....

This is a tough call. The TT ECU Mod has been GREAT to me. My car has started and run WONDERFULLY with it. There is no way I'm selling those parts!

If my 1UZ ever dies, it may just get a NA/T GE...... It's already getting this SAFC, larger injectors (maybe nitrous) and a tune at some point.

Any AEM Advice Welcome!
Attached Thumbnails 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-30-6100__49272_zoom.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-flex_fuel_series2.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 02-02-16 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 05:41 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My advice is to listen to your tuner, and hire a knowledgeable one for supra's. Things get complicated with the AEM box and troubleshooting over a forum is difficult because there aren't many people DIY tuning their cars on AEM. I did it, learned a ton, but ultimately the end result wasn't great, unreliable. I don't have any local tuners or any shop to take it to for advice either.

For reference though I unknowingly had a HG that was going bad (at the time), which was causing cold start issues. I had an appointment to have Brad Brooks tune the car but ended up having to cancel it because the HG finally failed and it was a smoking like a chimney.

Last edited by HiPSI; 02-02-16 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 08:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you know you can run the 1uz on a aem ems v1, throw some e85 and a turbo/supercharger on there and it'll still be a na-t =)

I let brad tune my car the first time, the ignition map was tuned well, the fuel was terribly off... they actually stuck the wideband in the tail pipe after my cat instead of using my wideband in the car which I even had hooked up to the aem. they actually said they were reading 2 afr points different from each other so they just went with the safer one... which is ridiculous when paying for a "tune" not a maybe its close ballpark base map. They were further shocked that someone was still running a cat converter on a turbo car, I mean people take it off but seriously not even bothering to look when insisting on using a tail pipe sniffer. idle was not tuned right, lots of little stuff he completely just skipped over. I had some issue with the map sensor signal, and instead of telling me so I could fix it before the whole tune they just tuned through it and told me rx7 injectors are "like that"... which I reluctantly believed till I fixed the actual issue later down the road (rx7 injectors are just fine it turns out). I was not happy, then he basically disappeared on me saying it was good, I let it go and had to learn myself at that point and fixed it all myself.

turns out all you really need is a wideband, the knock sensor already on your car, a brain, and alot of time and you can tune yourself. IF you don't have the time/patience, I would recommend getting in touch with a reputable tuner like alpha, if you do not have your tuners phone number and cannot reach them when you need them they are probably not the tuner you want to go with, just my .02c been there and done that and wasted alot of time with disapearing tuners.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-02-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 09:37 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Great advice guys. The very next step in this is finding a super available, great tuner. This will determine if I love or hate this ultimately. The guy that has time to discuss the process intelligently and patiently will get the gig. I am prepared to wait until I have the bread for the right guy.
I will otherwise just sit on my parts. I could likely achieve my power goal with a piggyback but I thought the failsafes and control might be good and provide an opportunity for loads of learning.

Thanks as always guys!
Old 02-23-16, 06:29 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

So......
I replaced loads of stuff in preparation for the AEM installation and tune. We did a street tune on Saturday and hit the Dyno yesterday. The car ran great but something kept us from going past 19-20lbs of boost. The entire system cuts out and the car must be turned off and restarted for the AEM to work again. It's not hitting boost cut though. Boost cut is set to 30 and we can't get past 20. The car shuts down all engine power completely while the AEM shows rpm and injector pulse but no power while decelerating on the Dyno. The car must be completely shut down for 2-3 seconds and re-started to keep running. Sort of inconvenient to say the least. We need to figure that out in the next days so we can finish my tune.
I was probably not actually making 466 before because this feels totally different. This is intoxicating......... seriously! I can only imagine it tuned at 25-30 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9013.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9054.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9049.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9070.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9076.jpg  

95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9080.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9095.jpg   95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread-img_9096.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 02-23-16 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 08:05 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe the aem is going into a fail safe mode to save your engine from blowing??? hopefully thats not the case though. Congrats though on making that much hp. I bet its a blast to drive!!
Old 02-24-16, 05:09 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Maybe the aem is going into a fail safe mode to save your engine from blowing??? hopefully thats not the case though. Congrats though on making that much hp. I bet its a blast to drive!!
AEM said he needed to start over...... Not sure what is wrong but it is a fail safe that was somehow already in there if that makes sense. Maybe he used a starting point base map that had some unnecessary stuff in it.

We have to do it all over again.
Old 02-25-16, 02:58 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

We started a brand new map and it is still cutting.
I made a post in the performance section. Still trying hard to figure this out. AEM said to start over, we did.
Old 03-30-16, 06:02 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw you today driving on 87 North for about 30 seconds. Only the second modified sc I've seen in person, sounded good.
Old 06-14-16, 07:56 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been following your build and on the same path, in hopes of high numbers!!
Great build man!!!
Old 06-21-16, 09:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

studio... any luck with the aem. hope you got it figured out
Old 06-21-16, 07:11 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
studio... any luck with the aem. hope you got it figured out
YES SIR!
It was the power supply to the fuel pump. My mechanic ran new heavy cable/relay/fuse to it and BAM! That was it. I also hated my clutch setup so I replaced it with that Clutchmasters/Sound Performance street disk. We never finished my tune so as soon as the clutch is broken in, I will go finish my tune.
In my panic to fix the shut offs, I purchased two Walbro 450's (E85), a Weldon FPR and bay gauge, An AEM FP gauge for the cockpit, and a few other things. I found a hanger for the dual 450's at Freed engineering and will put that on soon. I also got 1ZZ coils that don't fit under my stock intake so I may have to dig up the ALISC3 posts about inexpensive FFIM setups.

I'm still missing the TT ECU Mod but the hell should be over soon, Thanks!
Old 06-21-16, 07:14 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 187
Saw you today driving on 87 North for about 30 seconds. Only the second modified sc I've seen in person, sounded good.
Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I've been following your build and on the same path, in hopes of high numbers!!
Great build man!!!
I wish I saw this back when you posted it. Where on 87 were we? Were you in your SC?

LEXXIUM,
Thank you sir. I appreciate it and good luck with yours!
Old 06-22-16, 02:17 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right before those tolls and the home depot over there with all those other stores. I'd never drive my SC down there, just in my commutermobile on the way home.
Old 06-22-16, 05:36 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 187
Right before those tolls and the home depot over there with all those other stores. I'd never drive my SC down there, just in my commutermobile on the way home.
Yeah man, that Costco/Homedepot is 10 min from my place in Riverdale. I'm there regularly.

Quick Reply: 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread