Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 08:34 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Time for some sticky tires! A good tire will correct all that wheel spin 100%. Glad you are happy with it, sounds like another successful JDM GTE ecu conversion.

Have you double checked that your not hitting a higher boost than before? I've never actually hit boost cut on mine and I have roughly 20% pulled out through the RPM range, I keep it around 16psi. I would double check this as you may be higher than you think which is hitting this limit.
I think it may have been the rev limiter I hit.
Old 09-01-15, 08:50 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I think it may have been the rev limiter I hit.
Boost cut / fuel cut is a sharp harsh cut, shut down feeling. The limiter doesn't quite feel like it, sounds different, fuel cut is pretty abrupt feeling.
Old 09-02-15, 04:32 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Boost cut / fuel cut is a sharp harsh cut, shut down feeling. The limiter doesn't quite feel like it, sounds different, fuel cut is pretty abrupt feeling.
It was surely abrupt! And loud!
Old 09-02-15, 04:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

It was surely abrupt! And loud!
As Andrew said it , a boost / fuel cut is like as though you hit a wall .
Old 09-02-15, 06:17 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the "perks" of running the apexi safc and 550cc injectors is that fuel adjustments made are to the map sensor voltage in that rpm range. This adjustment changes the point where you would normally hit fuel cut at (appx 13-14psi depending on elevation),which could be now 18-20psi. So it's almost like a free BCC mod because you don't completely remove the fuel cut, just raise it alittle.

I've never actually hit fuel cut on mine and I've ran 17-18psi before which makes me wonder where yours is set at, we have similar setups.
Old 09-02-15, 07:43 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

One of the "perks" of running the apexi safc and 550cc injectors is that fuel adjustments made are to the map sensor voltage in that rpm range. This adjustment changes the point where you would normally hit fuel cut at (appx 13-14psi depending on elevation),which could be now 18-20psi. So it's almost like a free BCC mod because you don't completely remove the fuel cut, just raise it alittle.

I've never actually hit fuel cut on mine and I've ran 17-18psi before which makes me wonder where yours is set at, we have similar setups.
I'm not sure where it is set to but the guy who built it is a long term SAFC freak and he mentioned using the NEO to raise boost cut. He suggests I stay at 16 lbs, do exhaust, tweak tuning and just enjoy until standalone and bigger injectors down the line. This is because I asked for super reliable most likely.
Old 09-02-15, 11:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can use the safc to do it but its more complex cause you are pulling percentages so they have to pull just the right amount of percentage to raise boost cut enough, without taking away too much fuel that you would go lean. if your tuner is familiar with it its possible to set it up decently well like that. you should be good for 16 psi either way, its possible you spiked a little bit electronic boost controllers tend to do that sometimes before they home in on the right value. your tuner is new to the gte ecu, so there will be a learning curve but its already "tuned" you are just doing simple fuel adjustment and a boost cut bypass.

you can actually go way past boost cut if you are holding the throttle down less than 75% (neat and sometimes scary trick). like on a usdm mk4 supra with bpu twins you can build over 20 pounds with the throttle below that and it won't actually cut till you push the throttle down all the way, it uses the tps as a factor also (pretty neat right?). so if you are laying into it you will definately hit boost cut if your tps is working, but if you are in that part throttle zone its actually possible to pass it, one of those quirks to watch out for. its harder on a single turbo though to do that usually you are fully on the throttle at that psi. -Ali SC3's daily dose of slightly useful information other people don't seem to notice =)

the rev limiter just cuts out for a second and holds the rpm, you know you hit boost cut when the rpm's fall and pressing the throttle again does literally nothing.
Also the Check engine light blinks a few times to let you know you hit boost cut. you sort of get used to it after a while lol.
I usually only hit it when the weather changes, as it starts to get colder the car builds more boost and will usually want to overboost, and here in denver the morning are cool even in the summer, winter here my turbo feels like its been upgraded compared to summer.. just wait till it gets a little cooler in NYC and you will love it even more.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-02-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 11:20 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly....I am running straight off wastegate at 14psi spring and I rarely hit boost cut in the summer...

But when it starts to cool down I seem to hit boost cut at every pull.....

Studio dont you have a map ecu3? why not get that setup and you can raise the boost cut

I havent got around to installing my mapecu2 yet but I am going to run it with the stock 440cc injectors and see how much I can squeeze out of them without going to lean
Old 09-02-15, 06:45 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I let the builder go with the NEO I had as I didn't want another delay uninstalling the SAFC and installing the MAPECU, then having tuner up there figure it out before tuning it. He has been using SAFC for a long time. But yes, new to the ECU mod ALI.
Old 09-04-15, 08:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you can use the safc to do it but its more complex cause you are pulling percentages so they have to pull just the right amount of percentage to raise boost cut enough, without taking away too much fuel that you would go lean. if your tuner is familiar with it its possible to set it up decently well like that. you should be good for 16 psi either way, its possible you spiked a little bit electronic boost controllers tend to do that sometimes before they home in on the right value. your tuner is new to the gte ecu, so there will be a learning curve but its already "tuned" you are just doing simple fuel adjustment and a boost cut bypass.

you can actually go way past boost cut if you are holding the throttle down less than 75% (neat and sometimes scary trick). like on a usdm mk4 supra with bpu twins you can build over 20 pounds with the throttle below that and it won't actually cut till you push the throttle down all the way, it uses the tps as a factor also (pretty neat right?). so if you are laying into it you will definately hit boost cut if your tps is working, but if you are in that part throttle zone its actually possible to pass it, one of those quirks to watch out for. its harder on a single turbo though to do that usually you are fully on the throttle at that psi. -Ali SC3's daily dose of slightly useful information other people don't seem to notice =)

the rev limiter just cuts out for a second and holds the rpm, you know you hit boost cut when the rpm's fall and pressing the throttle again does literally nothing.
Also the Check engine light blinks a few times to let you know you hit boost cut. you sort of get used to it after a while lol.
I usually only hit it when the weather changes, as it starts to get colder the car builds more boost and will usually want to overboost, and here in denver the morning are cool even in the summer, winter here my turbo feels like its been upgraded compared to summer.. just wait till it gets a little cooler in NYC and you will love it even more.
Ali,
I think that may be what happened by accident. I was dragging out (I think) third a bit trying to stay in boost. I was dragging it at various throttles quite a bit as it was perfect for the road, to keep the pressure up. Once I was at about 75% and slowly sped up. The car took off faster than I have seen since, and that is exactly when the car did that crazy, loud, abrupt deceleration.

It was the most exhilarating moment so far.

PS: It's extremely useful. Now I know how to do it again!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 09-04-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 12:26 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Still loving this thing!
It runs perfect so far.
I am after exhaust next!!!
Old 09-09-15, 07:23 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Still loving this thing!
It runs perfect so far.
I am after exhaust next!!!
Yea man....I noticed a big difference when I went to full 3" straight exhaust.....
Old 09-15-15, 09:08 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Yea man....I noticed a big difference when I went to full 3" straight exhaust.....
What did you get? resonators? Is it loud? got clips?
What were your gains? Did you have to re-tune?
Old 09-16-15, 08:19 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

What did you get? resonators? Is it loud? got clips?
What were your gains? Did you have to re-tune?
I have full 3" single from turbo back....no cat, no resonators, no nothing...lol...

Basically straight piped with a canister style muffler on tail...it is very loud....but I wanted to have best performance benefit of straight 3" for turbo

Here is an older video I made from Dec 2014....same setup still though....keep in mind this is just revving it is way louder when it is under load....

I have been meaning to get a better in car video of it

Ask 97-SC300 aka Dmitry....he has rode in my car....might have another insight on how loud it is...
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (07-28-20)
Old 09-16-15, 09:26 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I have full 3" single from turbo back....no cat, no resonators, no nothing...lol...

Basically straight piped with a canister style muffler on tail...it is very loud....but I wanted to have best performance benefit of straight 3" for turbo

Here is an older video I made from Dec 2014....same setup still though....keep in mind this is just revving it is way louder when it is under load....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUEgjvWQ7bk

I have been meaning to get a better in car video of it

Ask 97-SC300 aka Dmitry....he has rode in my car....might have another insight on how loud it is...
Didn't sound too bad there. I'll re watch your driving videos from inside car.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread