Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 09:39 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

good numbers... just about right around 450rwhp at 15psi

that will get you started for now . As Ali said , you can go up to 20-21 on that 67mm turbo on pump 93 gas and hit above 500rwhp. That will be already a fun street car.

Let's see how long before you say I want more than the 500rwhp... lmaol.
Old 08-31-15, 09:49 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ali, Gerrb,
Hopefully just the downtime for taking it to a Pro. I don't know enough yet about tuning fundamentals to tune yet. I'd expect to leave with a perfectly tuned car. Hope that is realistic.
Do I need to take any precautions before turning it up to 18-20 other than a BCC?

SG

Last edited by Studiogeek; 08-31-15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 11:03 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Ali, Gerrb,
Hopefully just the downtime for taking it to a Pro. I don't know enough yet about tuning fundamentals to tune yet. I'd expect to leave with a perfectly tuned car. Hope that is realistic.
Do I need to take any precautions before turning it up to 18-20 other than a BCC?

SG
Because you are running the stock JDM GTE ecu, it's doing most of the work for you and makes tuning fairly simple (compared to AEM or Proefi which requires hours of dyno time / setup). The SAFC is just adjusting +/- % from the stock GTE MAP. Normally you are actually still removing alot of fuel at WOT because the GTE ecu tunes rich from the factory, and you are running injectors that are already sized 110cc larger than what the ECU expects.

The main issue is making sure you have enough fuel. Watch the end of the pull for the A/F to climb, if you see anything in the mid 12's or higher let out (This is difficult to really read as things are happening so quickly). The factory ECU does a good job with knock control and reducing timing, so good that by resetting the ecu you gain power as it resets any learned knock threshold and gives full timing back.

Also keep close watch on your boost guage on cold nights (the day it's warm and set to X psi, later that night at the same setting you could be hitting a higher boost setting). I use the Innovate SCG-1 EBC / Wideband and it has a tendency to spike really high when it's cold and the higher duty cycle you set it the more prone it is to doing it. I have a summer setting right now which requires a higher duty cycle, in the winter I'll have to actually lower this setting to achieve the same boost psi. I usually "retune" and datalog every season to make sure the A/F's are still in the right region, and nothing in the setup is causing an issue.

If you want 500whp, upgrade the cams and turn the boost up to 18-20psi and it should be right there.

It's funny because I follow "Rosario Racing" on instagram because he's usually always building something 2JZ or sc300 related and I was watching a recent NA-T build and just realized it was your car.

Last edited by HiPSI; 08-31-15 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 12:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Gerrb and Hipsi are on point, you don't need any more stuff to push it to 20 psi, you already did the tt headgasket so you can hit those numbers on pump gas pretty reliably. past that its actually just the fuel that is the issue more than the motor, you could go e85 down the line or add methanol injection and crank it up even higher to the 700's. past that building the bottom end will be beneficial, Gerrb probably has great advice on building the bottom end its more or less the same process as a gte and reading his thread you can pick up a lot of little things that go into that.

I would say roughly the tt ecu mod with most pump gas setups are going to be more geared for sub 600hp and the street before you start to get away from factory parameters too much or push the limits of the fuel too far. I have heard of people running this ecu with e85 and larger injectors and having good results, it makes sense to me cause the ecu normally learns to pull some timing (you can tell when you reset the ecu its super fast for 1-2 drives and then smooths out a little after that) so with e85 you should get the full timing and then you can crank up that boost cause it doesn't detonate like pump gas does. you will need a whole fuel system overhaul for e85 though and limited availability, this is why some choose methanol injection instead.

for most 400-500hp that is a pretty mean street machine, you will be surprised even with 400hp you will be pulling on most street cars even some modified ones once you hit boost, that is unless you end up across from one of gerrb's 1000hp sleepers, then just wave while he can still see you.

Cams will help but they will also take away power down low I think the stock cams are perfect for milld na-t setups. The cams in the n/a are actually very similar duration to the stock gte cams, its actually quite common for toyota to use an EFI cam on the turbo motors. the one that toyota changes a bunch are the older carb'd cams, but the EFI and turbo were usually spec'd similarly. the one that got a weak cam is the JDM versions, if you have a jdm 2jzgte or JDM ge then change out the cams to the US versions. stock Gte cams are not an upgrade for na-t like some would normally think to be so.
Old 08-31-15, 01:10 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Very good info guys...

Last edited by CatManD3W; 08-31-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 04:10 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Got her back at 3AM this morning.
Rosario Racing delivered (literally) an amazing, refined, smooth and wickedly fast automobile. It's perfect.
I am truly in love!
More pics and videos to come!
Old 09-01-15, 06:11 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Got her back at 3AM this morning.
Rosario Racing delivered (literally) an amazing, refined, smooth and wickedly fast automobile. It's perfect.
I am truly in love!
More pics and videos to come!
Oh you haven't even seen it / driven it yet?? I bet the look on your face when you went WOT the first time was glorious!
Old 09-01-15, 06:33 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Oh you haven't even seen it / driven it yet?? I bet the look on your face when you went WOT the first time was glorious!
Dido....I remember the first time I drove mine and went WOT.....I had to pull over and stop...my hands were shaking.....

I wasnt expecting it to hit that hard
Old 09-01-15, 07:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Awesome, in for first drive impressions. just remember to shift =) Redline comes up much faster than before.
Old 09-01-15, 09:15 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Awesome, in for first drive impressions. just remember to shift =) Redline comes up much faster than before.
At work, more detail later on.

This car is scary fast!

I hit boost cut today playing with a heavily boosted SRT.
It scared the HELL out of me.

I can't wait until work is over so i can drive again. I need the entire week off.

Not sure why but it feels much faster OFF BOOST as well.

This is truly mindblowingly AWESOME!

Thanks Everyone! I'm in heaven.
Old 09-01-15, 09:52 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

get off early today and play ... lmaol .

edit : Head towards I-81 going south where you can try its power..... long deserted 400 miles where you can open it till TN . Your damm I-95 turnpike (NJ / NY ) is like driving through craters with patches in the moon , I could hardly speed up on that road .

don't exceed 20-21psi on pump 93 gas or you're asking for trouble .

Last edited by gerrb; 09-01-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 12:40 PM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the first time that I hit fuel cut. I thought I blew up my engine! I pulled over immediately, listened for any knocking/other bad noises, and then went straight home and did a compression test haha
Old 09-01-15, 12:42 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by InLyneTrbo
I remember the first time that I hit fuel cut. I thought I blew up my engine! I pulled over immediately, listened for any knocking/other bad noises, and then went straight home and did a compression test haha
it scared the hell out of me the first time it happened....
Old 09-01-15, 03:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Driving this car to work might be the most exhilarating thing I have ever done…..

How about that?

So much to concentrate on.....
It was a beast to manage wheel spin, RPM's as related to sudden extreme levels of POWER, trying to feel this power as often as I can , both rear wheels now spinning, Torsen step out, AFR's, a new stage 6, 6 puck clutch, in crazy NYC traffic where NOT doing it like a boss is not an option.

What a blast.....

Last edited by Studiogeek; 09-01-15 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 08:08 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Time for some sticky tires! A good tire will correct all that wheel spin 100%. Glad you are happy with it, sounds like another successful JDM GTE ecu conversion.

Have you double checked that your not hitting a higher boost than before? I've never actually hit boost cut on mine and I have roughly 20% pulled out through the RPM range, I keep it around 16psi. I would double check this as you may be higher than you think which is hitting this limit.

Quick Reply: 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread