LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

good build all around...
Old 03-14-15, 06:20 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement!

Since photos of my build are now all over FB, I will post them up here as well. First, you can see the task ahead, as the new RSV Forged wheels were built with a negative offset and maximum concave in mind. They stick out a good 2 inches or more from the factory fenders, and they are 20s, so some serious work is ahead. The vision I have is to build an all metal wide body around the new wheels, and have it literally lay on the ground.

I have seen other wide body builds out there, and I want mine to be different. I do not like the flare look of the big body VIP builds, as I feel our cars are not VIP platforms and are too sporty. I want aggression with broad shoulders and hips, while retaining as much of a factory appearance as possible. I also hate how easy it is to get the rear down, and how hard it is to get the front down. I will do everything possible to get the front lip to touch the ground, hence the custom knuckles.

After discussing this with the master fabricator Bucky at Superstar Customs, we developed a plan...
Attached Thumbnails quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image1.jpeg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image3.jpeg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image2.jpeg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image4.jpeg  
Old 03-14-15, 07:14 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement! Since photos of my build are now all over FB, I will post them up here as well. First, you can see the task ahead, as the new RSV Forged wheels were built with a negative offset and maximum concave in mind. They stick out a good 2 inches or more from the factory fenders, and they are 20s, so some serious work is ahead. The vision I have is to build an all metal wide body around the new wheels, and have it literally lay on the ground. I have seen other wide body builds out there, and I want mine to be different. I do not like the flare look of the big body VIP builds, as I feel our cars are not VIP platforms and are too sporty. I want aggression with broad shoulders and hips, while retaining as much of a factory appearance as possible. I also hate how easy it is to get the rear down, and how hard it is to get the front down. I will do everything possible to get the front lip to touch the ground, hence the custom knuckles. After discussing this with the master fabricator Bucky at Superstar Customs, we developed a plan...
Nice update but I seen the pics via FB and you are definitely in good hands with Bucky!
Old 03-14-15, 08:54 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
Nice update but I seen the pics via FB and you are definitely in good hands with Bucky!
Thanks boss...I am getting to those pics shortly
Old 03-14-15, 09:15 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

The cutting has begun...

Since I want to keep the factory look, you can see how the arch is being preserved and where the cuts were made to smooth and broaden the flaring. The rear is most challenging since I an using a 20" wheel. The wheel is so tall that the rear door jam was stopping it. Most other builds are using 19s and avoiding this part of the job...no holding back for us. Door jams will be cut and rebuilt, and with that clearance the back lays down onto the chassis brace as before.
Attached Thumbnails quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image6.jpeg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image5.jpeg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image8.jpeg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image7.jpeg  
Old 03-14-15, 09:23 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

The front...

One of my side goals for this build is to have the lowest front of any 2IS in NA...lofty goal, but it is happening. Before any of the body work, anyone on bags can tell you that the UCA stops you from going any lower. I tried the Megan UCA to adjust camber and it is also flat where the stock part is curved...that gave me 1/4", lol.

The only other option was the crazy priced steering knuckles from T-Demand. Now I have the connection to build shortened steering knuckles to help provide clearance for the UCA. These have been shortened by 30mm, and were also built to add more camber if wanted. They added about 2 degrees additional camber, which I backed out to match the rear camber. There is plenty of clearance for the bag and the wheel, so these are going to be for sale and built to order.

So after the knuckles were on, and the fender cut, there was still clearance issues. You can see that the top of the tire hits the flat part of the frame. We knotched the frame up to give us more room, and now the knuckle is stopping us again. We will be making a set for me that is 40mm shorter, and that should lay the front lip on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image9.jpeg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image11.jpeg  
Old 03-15-15, 11:54 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

When low isn't low enough! LOL! Nice progress.
Old 03-16-15, 05:16 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

I am very proud of you Danny. I have seen you come far in the 4 years that I have known you from when I first bought my car to now. Respect.
Old 03-16-15, 06:32 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice goals to have and it looks like you're on your way to getting there. Awesome work! You going to paint the car a new color since about had is going to be painted anyway?
Old 03-16-15, 07:24 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
When low isn't low enough! LOL! Nice progress.
Thanks!!! Can always be lower...lol

Originally Posted by FreshIS250
I am very proud of you Danny. I have seen you come far in the 4 years that I have known you from when I first bought my car to now. Respect.
Thanks bro, means a lot. I know you have a bunch going on now too, so I am excited to have you right there next to me.

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Nice goals to have and it looks like you're on your way to getting there. Awesome work! You going to paint the car a new color since about had is going to be painted anyway?
Thanks...I am going to keep the color the same. I love the SGM and how much flake is in the stock color. I know it is the most popular color for these cars, but I kind of like how this build might make you look twice when you see it.
Old 03-19-15, 12:22 AM
dmtruong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really digging the progress. Keep it up man!!
Old 03-21-15, 10:19 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

So...in with the new, out with the 1 week old. New 40mm shortened knuckle on the left to replace the 30mm shortened knuckle to the right.

The oil pan now touches the ground...I will just let that sink in.
Attached Thumbnails quick123's Build Thread... Finally-image-273054709.jpg  
Old 03-23-15, 12:07 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^Done that with my Honda, and it only took coilovers. Why did Lexus make it so difficult on us? LOL!
Old 03-25-15, 02:19 AM
tonytdoan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New wheels look money!!
Old 03-25-15, 10:05 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Updates...to do this the way I want, and to do it right, we are rebuilding the 1/4 panels, the door jams, the door skins, the front fenders, and reworking the side skirts and both bumpers.

Here are some updates...
Attached Thumbnails quick123's Build Thread... Finally-ssc1.jpg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-ssc2.jpg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-ssc4.jpg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-ssc3.jpg   quick123's Build Thread... Finally-ssc.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quick123's Build Thread... Finally