I think it's safe to say I'm in the final stages of my bag setup, as far as parts go, so I'm just going to make this thread now.
As far as this whole air suspension thing goes, I think I'm making good progress, considering I installed my Double DIN back in October. Now for starts, I decided to make the jump to air, instead of starting off with coilovers, simply because I didn't want to deal with the usual "low car struggles." This car is my daily, and I can't really afford to replace parts due to damage from being low, as the roads here are terrible (anyone who tells you FL roads are good is more than likely lying, or kidding themselves). The main goal of this build was to put together a COMPLETE
air ride system on a $1500 budget. Needless to say, I've exceeded that budget, but only because I opted for independent wheel control. If you don't mind running front/rear, then you'll be within that budget.
I'm going to add in progress pics later tomorrow, because I have to study for a math test
Stage 1: Onboard Air
So here is how I essentially wanted everything to sit in my car:
As far as wood goes, I snagged a nice 2'x4'x3/4" sheet of sanded plywood (~$20 at Home Depot) and hauled it over to my friend's house to have his dad cut. The fact this thing actually fit still amazes me...
Eventually we ended up with this. Honestly, I could have fit a bigger piece in if I didn't opt to retain the factory carpet, but that would mean that I would have to create a false floor for my trunk (which I have to do anyways) and I didn't feel like it at that moment in time.
Anyway, we finished mounting up my compressor, as well (ended up having to use completely different mounting hardware, because the included hardware was too short) so I brought it home, and started to get my wiring on (my favorite part, honestly).
Shortly afterwards, I loomed up all of the exposed wire with 3/8" loom, and added in my 10 AWG waterproof ATC fuse holder (the Viair 480C has a maximum amperage rating of 23A, but I fused it at 30A)
Wiring in the trunk was pretty simple, since I opted to reuse the wiring from installing my amplifier. I simply added a distribution block to the power, and ground, cable. Keep in mind that I did all the calculation for how much amperage would be on the wires beforehand, so this is all reasonably safe, I assure you (Knukonceptz Kolossus 4 AWG OFC cable has a maximum amperage rating of 150A per 20 feet of cable). Assuming I was running my subwoofer, and compressor, at full tilt, (not happening) I would see a combined load of 60A on the wire (which itself is 17 feet long).
And back in the trunk:
And lastly, here's how it sits now:
What I need to work on now is running my supply, and fill lines, to whichever side of the car they need to be on, and so ends the trunk work. I plan on redoing the trunk completely with a pair of smaller tanks, because this 5 gallon BARELY fits in the spare well, and I can't reuse my OEM carpet over top of it, lest a giant hump forms, and nothing is stable. Also going to do a false floor with some hardwood as well, because this just looks terrible.