Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Sc0pe's '99 LS400 - Baggin' on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 02:06 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
Super Star Customs in ATL can make those wheels fit man, and they also fabricate/sell shortened knuckles. They have an FB page (SuperStar Customs), might want to check them out and tell Bucky that Bruce sent you...I've got AccuAir/KSport Combo currently and not happy with it at all, I used to have AutoPilot V2 on my 430 and loved it, you made a good choice there man...
Also, hit me up on PM on how one can acquire those tails and if you have the hook up on parts in Japan also. Off to a good start!
Ah yeah, I love Superstar's work. I know a few of the people who have their cars over there right now. At the moment, though, I'm after a bit of a different look by way of overfenders, and I have a local person offering to use my car as a base to design something.

And sure, I'll PM you
Old 11-23-15, 10:04 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Got your message and replied man, I'd like to see your ride done too but if the place should need another candidate to work on hit me up, lol, I have a 98 LS400 myself and am always looking for ideas.
Old 12-24-15, 04:13 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After looking at your build and Timmy's build, and doing some research of my own, it seems like the most economical way to go air is to piece together a setup like you guys did. Accuair doesn't make one for our cars and AirRunner is over four grand! For a basic setup, KSport or D2 comes in the cheapest (around $3,000) but it doesn't appear they sell a kit minus struts for those of us already on coil-overs. I am going to contact them and find out...unless someone here already has that info.

In the meantime, I found this on MIC, Inc. (ebay): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ai...ekcmFQ&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-25-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-24-15, 09:35 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, if you're on a budget, I'd just try look for a used set of air struts. I actually managed to source a set of AirRunner struts for a comically good price, so it's not impossible. "The LS400 Classifieds" group on Facebook has a couple of air setups floating around as well.
Old 12-25-15, 08:33 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Designing and manufacturing good bags is not simple. I recently got to try out a couple cars equipped with different brands of bags/coilovers and I did not enjoy them as much as my UAS Aerosports and BCs. Granted they were on different cars but all were on ELevel management. The D2 coils&bags I thought were garbage. Not comfortable at all and didn't offer any compitant handling increase either. They were overly floaty and very harsh over bumps. Even with the dampening adjusted around little changed. The airlift bags were pretty nice but lacked the stiffness in corners the UAS offers, very comfortable though.

The 5.5" of stroke the UAS bags offer is also great. Easily get you low enough to sit how you want be high enough to get in and out of the gnarliest places.

Plus you can add UAS bags to anything coilovers of strut and then toss in any management you want for a pretty amazing setup.
Old 12-25-15, 12:07 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Honestly, if you're on a budget, I'd just try look for a used set of air struts. I actually managed to source a set of AirRunner struts for a comically good price, so it's not impossible. "The LS400 Classifieds" group on Facebook has a couple of air setups floating around as well.
Yeah, I've been looking for a while but all I ever seem to find are 430 or 460 setups. It's one of those things where you gotta be online everyday looking - coz they get snapped up fast!

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 04-18-16 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-25-15, 12:10 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shmee
Designing and manufacturing good bags is not simple. I recently got to try out a couple cars equipped with different brands of bags/coilovers and I did not enjoy them as much as my UAS Aerosports and BCs. Granted they were on different cars but all were on ELevel management. The D2 coils&bags I thought were garbage. Not comfortable at all and didn't offer any compitant handling increase either. They were overly floaty and very harsh over bumps. Even with the dampening adjusted around little changed. The airlift bags were pretty nice but lacked the stiffness in corners the UAS offers, very comfortable though.

The 5.5" of stroke the UAS bags offer is also great. Easily get you low enough to sit how you want be high enough to get in and out of the gnarliest places.

Plus you can add UAS bags to anything coilovers of strut and then toss in any management you want for a pretty amazing setup.
Yeah, seems like UAS is the way to go. Did you look at my link above? As far as I can see, with the supplied custom brackets, this starter setup could work with my Megans on my 98. Btw, already found out that the D2 kit (if purchased minus shocks) is not compatible with Megans...at least that's what they told me.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-25-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-18-16, 01:40 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

I feel like whenever I post in here, my build keeps getting flipped over on its side... but as far as progress goes, impulse-bought a body kit, sold the mega-wide wheels, bought new wheels, and suspension is *slowly* being worked on. Collecting parts again

As far as that AirRunner strut setup I mentioned before goes, that was a bust - shipping company basically left the struts sitting in box, in a corner of the office for TWO MONTHS, and I wound up asking the person I bought them from to get a refund on shipping and send my money back. Pretty much done messing with air suspension at this point.

New suspension is going to be a whole new animal, but I'll try to document it for anyone else wanting to follow my misery.

As for pictures, I'd love to post it all, but alas, everything is in transit...

That being said:
  • 20" Work Wheels VS-Concept GearSpoke (in transit)
  • Hydroholics 1 pump/5 dump w/ accumulators and 10"/12" cylinders (collecting parts)
  • Fabulous 8-piece body kit (in transit)
  • Evolution FRP grille (in transit)
  • KKCP or Admiration (not 100% sure) FRP grille bezel (in a box in my room)
  • Freedom Legion "Benz Arrow" LED Switchback Mirrors (in a box in my room)
  • Custom overfenders (the likelihood of this getting anywhere in a remotely reasonable interval of time is laughable, but I'll post anyway for those who are trying to follow my build always-changing build)

Last edited by Sc0pe; 04-18-16 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-18-16, 07:42 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

From stock to coils to static to air to coils to...? Just go back to stock and enjoy the original 4x4 marshmallow ride. Lol
Old 04-18-16, 05:14 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
From stock to coils to static to air to coils to...? Just go back to stock and enjoy the original 4x4 marshmallow ride. Lol
It was like, stock > bags > stock > coils > stock, and now I'm working on hydraulics. It'll ride like a marshmallow, believe me But for the time being, I'll just enjoy my stock ride height while I collect parts, and maybe throw my wheels on hahaha
Old 04-20-16, 03:32 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Don't let me beat you, lol, you saying you have a couple grills here stateside? If you do shoot me a message....
Old 04-21-16, 03:00 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Don't let me beat you, lol, you saying you have a couple grills here stateside? If you do shoot me a message....
I think I've gone through maybe 3 grilles before finding "the one" haha The only grille I have stateside at the moment is my Aimgain "Stylish" FRP grille and that one is already spoken for

Old 04-21-16, 03:17 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Weak, haha, looks good, keep me posted on what you bring stateside that's up for grabs for our ride. I don't like the wait. Thanks.
Old 04-22-16, 07:09 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Weak, haha, looks good, keep me posted on what you bring stateside that's up for grabs for our ride. I don't like the wait. Thanks.
Gotta pay to play my friend, but follow my respective pages and you'll see what comes up for grabs
Old 02-09-17, 12:41 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

So my parts are coming in, finally. Probably going to be a minute before I install the majority of it since school is picking up. Need to order the last of my parts from Dice Suspension Systems so I can get that part of the build out of the way.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 02-09-17 at 12:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Sc0pe's '99 LS400 - Baggin' on a Budget