Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Sc0pe's '99 LS400 - Baggin' on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-14, 07:08 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super interested in this, had I of known you could do full air for ~$1500 I might've just done that instead of getting coilovers

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
After doing a good amount of reading, I learned that running a 4-valve might not be ideal for my aggressive style of driving, so I further stepped my game up to these.
Can you explain what you mean by this. I'm not understanding how only having 4 valves would effect driving style, is it because both front or rear bags would share air?
Old 07-20-14, 12:35 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TMAdash1
Super interested in this, had I of known you could do full air for ~$1500 I might've just done that instead of getting coilovers

Can you explain what you mean by this. I'm not understanding how only having 4 valves would effect driving style, is it because both front or rear bags would share air?
Technically I got a ton of good deals (see: coilovers), so the price would be more toward $2000-2250, assuming everything was new. Seeing as you have coilovers now, it shouldn't be that hard to stay within that $1500 (or less) budget.

With a 4-valve system, the front and rear bags are linked together via a tee fitting, so if you made a hard turn, the air from the bags would transfer and cause mad body roll, which is sort of counter intuitive lol.

The build is currently delayed while I figure out how to get my coilovers unstuck lol. Also waiting on an opportunity to drop by my friend's house to have his dad cut up the last panel I need. All kinds of fun
Old 07-26-14, 04:46 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh this thread has me looking at all these bag installs and checking prices haha. Think I'll wait until your build is completely done and see if I wanna pull the trigger or not
Old 08-09-14, 11:26 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
Go get a metal brush, small propane torch, the right spanner wrenches, a bfh and your PB Blaster.
Scrub down all the threads and surfaces with the metal brush to remove any debris and crap off the threads. Drench everything and let sit overnight.

The next day hit the collar with light and even heat, use the spanner wrenches to grab the collars and then use the BFH to strike one of the collars to loosen it. Make sure you knock the shock body to lower mount collar off first before the try and knock the spring collars off.

You might need to use the PB and heat a couple times depending on how stuck they are.
Just be sure you don't get greedy and force anything once it's moving. Move it back and forth other any rough areas.
I do have the actual KSport wrenches, so I'm covered there. Just need to get the rest lol. Should probably be dropping by a friend's place in the next couple of days to get those sorted out. After that, it shouldn't be much trouble.

Onto the condition the coilovers are in:
They're basically disassembled, except for whatever I couldn't get off. That being said, the rears have both, the lower shock body, and lower lock collar stuck. The fronts have just the shock bodies stuck.

***EDIT*** Nevermind. Ordered a set of Sensen struts to use.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 08-10-14 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 09:48 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

you have the brackets for struts? should still ride smooth. where are the pics?! they will help with folks doing this on a budget.
Old 08-12-14, 09:49 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
you have the brackets for struts? should still ride smooth. where are the pics?! they will help with folks doing this on a budget.
Yes, I do. They're basically the standard UAS brackets. I've kinda been skimping on pictures lately, because I've been getting all kinds of messages on "alternative solutions" lately. Check your Facebook
Old 08-12-14, 12:24 PM
timmy0tool

i see it on FB but would rather have it here for ease of recollection, for other interested as well. you can even attach it if you're too lazy to host the images .
Old 08-13-14, 05:05 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i see it on FB but would rather have it here for ease of recollection, for other interested as well. you can even attach it if you're too lazy to host the images .
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I just don't really want to post anything here until it's official, y'know?

That being said, look what I got today!

Also, this budget build has just been turned up to 11 (no, not the struts, but let's just say that my dashboard is going to look a little cleaner). Stay tuned for what's coming in the next couple of days

Last edited by Sc0pe; 08-14-14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 01:29 PM
timmy0tool

cool man, this is moving quite fast!
Old 08-15-14, 10:16 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

So guess what was at my doorstep this morning?

AUTOPILOT V1, BABY!

Old 08-18-14, 10:51 AM
timmy0tool

looks good man! you can actually do a manual AND autopilot management if you want!
Old 04-10-15, 08:25 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Oh God, it's been forever, buuuuut, I got a few things... all of my air suspension stuff is gone now. Regretfully sold my first air suspension system, so suspension ideas are presently up in the air...

That being said, here's some of the new stuff I've picked up:
  • 20x9/10" wheels from Lowenhart (additional details coming with "installed" pictures)
  • LED taillights by LED-Shop SILVA out of Japan (these are the exact same taillights as seen on Elvis Skender's LS)
  • Power folding turn signal mirrors by Freedom Legion

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-20-15 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 12:51 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

So 7 months later, I'm going air again. This time with AirRunner struts and AirLift V2 management.

In that time...
  • The 20" Lowenhart LSRs were traded for 19" Trafficstar SFRs, which were traded for 18" Wald Duchatelets
  • Installed and removed a set of Gecko Racing coilovers (I hate being static...)
  • Installed a relatively custom cat-back exhaust system

What I still need to do...
  • Purchase assorted electrical components to support the new Mechman 320A alternator (Long story, short - thought my alternator was dying. Turned out it was corroded battery terminals...)
  • Create a wooden floor for the spare well and trunk
  • Install my air suspension system
  • Collect some more suspension parts (need shortened/cambered steering knuckles and rear lower control/toe arms)
  • Make wheels fit
  • Install my sound system
  • Aero, and repairing the damage from previous owners as well as going mono-tone

So I guess that's where I am now. It's been 3 years since I purchased this car. The build hasn't necessarily died, but rather it's just getting started/better. It's still taking time due to various walls I've been running into, so I guess don't expect too many updates to this thread.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-20-15 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 06:31 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Super Star Customs in ATL can make those wheels fit man, and they also fabricate/sell shortened knuckles. They have an FB page (SuperStar Customs), might want to check them out and tell Bucky that Bruce sent you...I've got AccuAir/KSport Combo currently and not happy with it at all, I used to have AutoPilot V2 on my 430 and loved it, you made a good choice there man...
Old 11-20-15, 06:32 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, hit me up on PM on how one can acquire those tails and if you have the hook up on parts in Japan also. Off to a good start!

Quick Reply: Sc0pe's '99 LS400 - Baggin' on a Budget