Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Aaron's 97 SC300 NA-T Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 11:57 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Aaron's 97 SC300 NA-T Build

So, I am finally getting around to turbocharging the SC as many do. I have not started on the project just yet as I am still missing a few parts before I can break into it.

Looking to keep the stock auto trans for now and stock HG until I hit over 200k then probably rebuild everything BOSS MODE!

*UPDATE* TT-Head Gasket, Crower Springs & Titanium Retainers, and and R154 swap in the mix now, almost at 200K now so decided I should pursue different avenues for reliability with higher milage

I will only be running Wastegate spring pressure @ a "safe" 8.7PSI. I am looking to make around 320 WHP without blowing anything up. (just yet)

*UPDATE* this is all lies now lol, only thing I am going to be careful about is babying the auto trans until next year when I swap to R154

Parts I have acquired so far are as follows:

CX Racing Tubular Manifold with V-band wastegate and T4 Flange

CX Racing GT35R 70/68 ( will probably only run until it blows then I will install a real Garrett GT37X or BW S363)

CX Racing 3" V-Band Downpipe

CX Racing FMIC with entry and exit on same side

CX Racing IC Piping Kit built for FMIC

TiAL 38mm V-Band Wastegate

HSK SSQV Version 4 BOV

JDM OBDI Aristo ECU ( For TT ECU Mod )

TT MAP Sensor

Drifmotion Map Sensor Connector (used Pigtail wires from work to complete connector)

IS300 Union Bolt (pt # 90401-19008)

-4 AN Feed Line

Vibrant 1/2' NPT to -10 AN Bung to thread into oil pan

-4 AN Earl's inline oil filter for (oil feed line)

-10 AN Return line

Glow Shift Series 7 Tinted Gauges ( Digital Wideband, Trans Temp, Boost, and EGT)

4 Single Gauge Pods to be mounted on Dash (Universal Ebay Brand)

There are a few things I need to get like fittings for oil feed line, 440CC Injectors and an IAT sensor.. I plan on getting a 98 Nissan Maxima IAT Sensor, pigtail, and grommet from a known good donor car and running that for now. Once I go forced induction I will upgrade to welded style AEM IAT.

As for injectors I'm still tossed up about it cause the only direct fit known so far is to swap lower intake manifold runners form an OBDI car.. So any help here would be greatly appreciated.. I was told Running the OBDI injectors with the OBDII Injector seals work "OK" so maybe I'll try that

Since I am a noob I am still trying to figure out how to post pics lol.. as soon as I do I can share what it looks like and the parts I have so far. Hopefully it will be done by August but everyone who has done something like this knows there are always delays. so maybe next summer realistically.

*EDIT* - I Figured out how to post pics check it out

Last edited by Aswilley; 03-23-15 at 10:06 PM. Reason: updates
The following users liked this post:
LEXXIUM (12-21-17)
Old 07-06-14, 12:39 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

So here is some pics of the car as it sits and some of the parts I Have

]

Doing the FMIC Install

taking the bumper off for fitment

Mounted

Bumper test fit before trimming

Final Install

Last edited by Aswilley; 07-06-14 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 12:41 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Replacing the Valve Cover Gaskets, Spark Plugs, and Plug Wires

Old 07-06-14, 01:02 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Parts Acquired Pics

JDM Aristo ECU

TT MAP Sensor / Connector / Pigtal Finished with wires installed

DS62 Ignitor / Connector / Pigtail Finished (Wired for stock Distributor used w/ JDM TT ECU)

Glowshift Gauges & Gauge Pod (only have a pic of the Trans Temp. gauge and have 4 total Pods)

TiAL 38mm Wastegate model MV-S and Earl's -4 AN Inline Oil filter for oil feed line

Turbos I have (one CXRacing GT35R and the other is a Garrett but I am unsure of exactly what it is.. it' appears to be the same size as the CXRacing 35R)

CXRacing IC Piping Kit w/ A/F and 4" Intake Tube
Old 07-06-14, 04:05 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Super clean! I'm curious how that new CXRacing manifold fits as well. What CXRacing IC piping kit is that? Is it for the 1JZ kit?
Old 07-07-14, 09:43 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

"until it blows" lol.. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, there are several of us using these turbos without a hiccup, on much higher PSI than your 8.7..

Fun fact: Garrett turbos have been out sourced and built by the same factories as my CX Racing turbo in Mexico/China for the last 5+ years...

Either way, off to a great start man, clean car too.

Last edited by Kris9884; 07-07-14 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 09:53 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Super clean! I'm curious how that new CXRacing manifold fits as well. What CXRacing IC piping kit is that? Is it for the 1JZ kit?
The IC kit was an all in one bundle. I originally purchased the CXRacing T70 kit for the SC300 but the T70 turbos were out of stock so they called and asked if I was ok with the GT35R Kit.. so evey thing came together as one. plus I got a wholesale discount thanks to using my friends business to order it. saved like $300 on it.
Old 07-07-14, 09:56 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kris9884
"until it blows" lol.. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, there are several of us using these turbos without a hiccup, on much higher PSI than your 8.7..

Fun fact: Garrett turbos have been out sourced and built by the same factories as my CX Racing turbo in Mexico/China for the last 5+ years...

Either way, off to a great start man, clean car too.
You know? I was wondering that.. going through some of the build threads plus some locals that are runnning CXRcaing Turbos. I have heard it a hit or miss really and i Seem to have good luck with turbos.. even back when I was a DSM guy with my Galant VR4 i got lucky every time and they have all lasted over 30k one was even ran at 30psi.. so I trust it.. maybe it will be a few years.. I am fairly nice to my cars for the most part lol.. And thank you and the complements on the car.
Old 07-07-14, 10:08 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Aswilley
You know? I was wondering that.. going through some of the build threads plus some locals that are runnning CXRcaing Turbos. I have heard it a hit or miss really and i Seem to have good luck with turbos.. even back when I was a DSM guy with my Galant VR4 i got lucky every time and they have all lasted over 30k one was even ran at 30psi.. so I trust it.. maybe it will be a few years.. I am fairly nice to my cars for the most part lol.. And thank you and the complements on the car.
Hell yeah, you had a GVR4?! I had a 91 in Nile Black, added a Super 16, strapped a ladder on the roof and raced anyone I could surprise in town, the good days..

But yeah, CX Racing turbos are still balanced and built the same ways most other turbos are. It's all relative, I've seen Holsets blow at 1k miles and name brand wheels break just as often as any varrstoen, who knows.. I figured it was a cheap way to get started and then go with a BW for spool time and proven reliability later..

Last edited by Kris9884; 07-07-14 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 11:12 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Hell yeah, you had a GVR4?! I had a 91 in Nile Black, added a Super 16, strapped a ladder on the roof and raced anyone I could surprise in town, the good days..

But yeah, CX Racing turbos are still balanced and built the same ways most other turbos are. It's all relative, I've seen Holsets blow at 1k miles and name brand wheels break just as often as any varrstoen, who knows.. I figured it was a cheap way to get started and then go with a BW for spool time and proven reliability later..
thats was actually my plan.. BW down the road.. probably also afte i pass the 200k mark lol..

still trying to figure out the Injector issue without swapping lower runners..

and yeah My GVR4 was one of my all time favorite cars.. also 91 Nile Black .. Had a proted Big 16G on it tapping 24psi daily with a stage II racing trans. from Jacks Transmission.. I pulled 1.5 60ft. times and people couldnt figure out what hit them lol.. tuened out to 440WHP super fun and reliable car.
Old 07-07-14, 08:25 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Quick update.. to start I want to apologize for the poor picture quality it was with a phone camera and at night with really bright light lol

Got the HID's Installed went with 55W 8K headlights and 55W 3K foglights.. I feel they look pretty good and are some sort of bright I can't explain.. say good bye to High-beams lol.. Also Installed the Big LED Lighting kit from Luxurymods.com .. can't figure out how to get the panel off to access the Ignition LED in tho

l also sent the IC piping off to have the Greddy BOV Flange removed and the HKS flange welded on. Hope to get that back soon too..

and finally got my -10 AN return line and 1/2" NPT bung for the oil pan.. they are fitted together in the picture

Old 07-08-14, 02:19 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Nice, I've always been a fan of the blue/yellow look, I did the same. Have you decided where/how you're going to run the oil drain?

Old 07-08-14, 03:28 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Nice, I've always been a fan of the blue/yellow look, I did the same. Have you decided where/how you're going to run the oil drain?
Nice pic! I am actually very happy how it came out..Especially being a 55W Kit.. I always saw IS300's rolling around like this and wondered how our cars would look with that set up.

I am going to drill and tap the oil pan like it should be.. I didn't plan on welding a bung on cause I have had good sealing success with NPT threading and a little bit of Ultra Grey for the threads.

For the turbo side I have a flange that will mate up and a gasket to throw in there. That should be sufficient enough with a clamp around it to seal.
Old 07-10-14, 05:04 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Okay so here is a little update.. Picked up my IC pipe from a friend today, and I must say.. I am thoroughly impressed at how nice the welds on the aluminium HKS flange came out.

The guy welding it said normally because of the angles to access it and the difference in flange size he would have charged over $100 for this!! I couldn't believe he didn't charge me!! I feel like I'm in debt to the mob now lol..

Anyways here is how it came out

Old 07-12-14, 05:37 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Another small update.. Injectors are in the mix now!!!.. Hopefully next week everything will come together and I will have another update for you guys..

Originally I was hunting for 550's because of HIPSI's recent post saying the JDM ECU learns them but decided for my power level and an unbelievable deal I'm getting (thanks Tabaka) I will be running with RC-440cc .. More updates to come !!

Quick Reply: Aaron's 97 SC300 NA-T Build