Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Detroit NA-T build up coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 02:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah always trying to help out you know. I agree you should keep the head and the GE wiring harness.
You can run the GE harness there is no need to change to a gte harness at all its more work and money for basically the same thing since you already have the ignition wired up. now that I think of it those might be the taller v6 coils that are individual on the later year 1mz's. either way they should spark well but you can always switch to other toyota coils or if you are going standalone then you can run any coils really. The harness don't change I would just rewrap it / clean it up if it works well already.

I think you are running on the tt ecu mod, I can see the gte map sensor hanging out in the back there by the firewall =)
This looks similar to spool's setup he was going to try maybe?

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-08-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 02:50 PM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QWIKSTRIKE
They are probably after market 2zz tpye coils. OEM coils are not that color on the top, and 1ZZ coils don't sit that high. Get an aluminum plate 3 7/8" wide 24" long and bolt them down. Good luck with the build. Why do you feel the need to buy a 2JZGTE when you can just rebuild that with the same forged internals or better.
The guy I got the car from recommended the gte head. The head that's on it now have bad cam Journals. I called a shop and they said the head will need to be replaced. So most likely I will get a new ge head and gte gasket. I found a new ge for 350 vs the 460 for a gte head
Old 07-08-14, 07:05 PM
QWIKSTRIKE
Rookie

Originally Posted by monkeyboy8
The guy I got the car from recommended the gte head. The head that's on it now have bad cam Journals. I called a shop and they said the head will need to be replaced. So most likely I will get a new ge head and gte gasket. I found a new ge for 350 vs the 460 for a gte head
GTE HEAD is a good deal but you would need a new FFI, and exhaust manifold.
Old 07-08-14, 08:04 PM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Originally Posted by QWIKSTRIKE
GTE HEAD is a good deal but you would need a new FFI, and exhaust manifold.
So I should go with the GTE HEAD instead ? I found a Ge intake manifold for 80 I was thinking getting it .. How much can a stock intake handle
Old 07-09-14, 04:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

stock GE / GTE intakes can handle your 800rwhp power goal.

A stock GE intake would go accross those valve covers and might not work out with those coils you currently have. If you are sticking with that GE head , it might be worthwhile going FFIM.
Old 07-09-14, 05:37 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok here is the deal.

You get a gte head , you will need a new exhaust manifold, intake manifold, water pump.

You get a ge head you will need a different intake manifold .

You need to invest in FFIM if you thinking about making 800, it will help a lot and you can run Whatever ignition Coils you want!!

If The head is damage then I would understand why you wanna swap it. Keep the Na head it works fine.
Old 07-09-14, 06:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP ... if there are people you have to listen to on your project , it will be 99SC42 and ALI SC3. They have been there plenty of times.
Old 07-09-14, 12:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Ok here is the deal.

You get a gte head , you will need a new exhaust manifold, intake manifold, water pump.

You need to invest in FFIM if you thinking about making 800, it will help a lot and you can run Whatever ignition Coils you want!!

If The head is damage then I would understand why you wanna swap it. Keep the Na head it works fine.
^^ This and with the gte head you will need the newer oil pump with the crank sensor if your is a 92-95. also you will need to modify the wiring some. basically alot more work involved switching to a gte head for little benefit, just spend that money on a FFIM for a GE head.
Old 07-09-14, 04:04 PM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
OP ... if there are people you have to listen to on your project , it will be 99SC42 and ALI SC3. They have been there plenty of times.
Trust me I'm taking notes
Old 07-09-14, 04:10 PM
monkeyboy8
Driver

[QUOTE=Ali SC3;8618087]^^ This and with the gte head you will need the newer oil pump with the crank sensor if your is a 92-95. also you will need to modify the wiring some. basically alot more work involved switching to a gte head for little benefit, just spend that money on a FFIM for a GE head.

Yea I decided to run the GE head. So ordered a new one. They told me it will 4 to 6 weeks that's kind of a long wait for it to be coming from atl. But that give me more time to save up for the cams and valve springs.

Ok here is the deal.

I'm going to stick with the GE head. I ordered it already so after I get the head built I'm looking to order that Dave H intake manifold
Old 07-10-14, 04:55 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why order a new head when you can get a decent head for 200 with everything in it.

What camshaft are you getting?

What ecu are you running?

What fuel are you running?

What trans?
Old 07-10-14, 06:16 AM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Why order a new head when you can get a decent head for 200 with everything in it.

What camshaft are you getting?

What ecu are you running?

What fuel are you running?

What trans?
The only used head I found near me the guy said it came from a engine that caught fire. 300 something for a new head wasn't really breaking my pockets. I plan on getting brian crowers stage 3 272/272 cams and valve springs and retainers. It's a tt supra ecu in there now I'm going to upgrade to the aem v2. It's running on 93 now it have a walboro 255lph fuel pump in now . I'm looking for a reliable pump that can run e-85 and 93 because it's not a lot of gas stations that sell e-85 in detroit. I'm going to use 2000cc injectors. For the trans I'm going with the 350z 6speed. I read some write up's on it so I know it can be done.
Old 07-10-14, 07:57 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

^^if you do that 6speed swap, im gonna have to check it out.

not to many scs around these parts, hard to find anything for them.
Old 07-10-14, 09:04 AM
monkeyboy8
Driver

Originally Posted by mecheng10
^^if you do that 6speed swap, im gonna have to check it out.

not to many scs around these parts, hard to find anything for them.
Yea I been reading up on the 350z tranny a couple of guys had some pretty good step by step write up's on how to do it and what parts are needed. Even it might be more work the price difference is what got me. I seen the 350 tranny aslow as low as 500 vs 3000 and up for the supra 6speed. I know Collins performance make a plate adapter and clutch and flywheel kit. Just for you to know to know operation 350 tranny won't happen until around sept/oct . I'm going to build up the engine 1st the stock internals are already swapped out with gte internals so it should be much to do then I'll have the fuel system redid get a paint job next will be the tranny
Old 07-10-14, 10:43 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by monkeyboy8
Yea I been reading up on the 350z tranny a couple of guys had some pretty good step by step write up's on how to do it and what parts are needed. Even it might be more work the price difference is what got me. I seen the 350 tranny aslow as low as 500 vs 3000 and up for the supra 6speed. I know Collins performance make a plate adapter and clutch and flywheel kit. Just for you to know to know operation 350 tranny won't happen until around sept/oct . I'm going to build up the engine 1st the stock internals are already swapped out with gte internals so it should be much to do then I'll have the fuel system redid get a paint job next will be the tranny
ha ill be lucky if I get my turbo installed by October at the rate im moving.
and hey, if you become a pro at it, i might have you do one on my car!
i just lack most of the tools to do the install. like a mill and a welder to make the trans mount

Quick Reply: Detroit NA-T build up coming soon