Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

1997 ls400

Old 06-28-14, 04:55 PM
gr8wyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads and rotors diy

Hey guys! So as days go by, I realize more things the previous owner did not really tend to, I rode with no music today and windows down and as I pulled into my neighborhood, i heard the worst grinding in my life. Im sure most of you guys know how to change brakes and all but here is a DIY, just cause

Took my wheels off. Took longer than expected since I could not find the factory iron for it, so I took another while looking for my crown victoria keys so I can use its iron.

here is our front caliper. Two pins and this cross thing i have never seen before but I guess it is for adding more tension and making sure the pins go no where.

Pull this safety wire that holds the pins in. I started with the bottom pin, its easier for some reason

pull the first pin out. It till be tough because of the tension cross. I used pliers, you may need to bang the pin from the back to get more leverage.

After that first pin comes out, the cross goes flying. Be careful. Second pin just slides out easily

Time to change!

To pull your old pads out and put new pads in, you need compress you brakes. So I took a pipe plier and used the old pad to compress the brake and provide room

Make sure its even by pressing both sides and the middle down.

wtf

new pads in the front! Time assembly the caliper and move to the back!

Put the first pin in, then slide the cross under it. Use something to apply pressure to other end of the cross so you can slide the other pin in and put the wire back. done!!

Now the back is slightly different....

caliper is different from the back. This has two bolts to be removed first. 9/16 and my 3/8 ratchet did just fine.

Set the two bolts aside and remove the housing and sit safely in the back. Now we can see the pads and mine are pretty bad.... Remove this two safety pins and the pads.

A pad will have this pad sensor like in the front ones. just push this bracket off and sensor twists and slides out

If your rotors are bad like mine...

there are two bolts behind the caliper. 17mm. remove those and the rest of the caliper will come off.

My rotors were pretty solid and wouldnt budge. Front ones came off as soon as I removed the two phillips screws. Most people use hammers and other stuff that can harm things in the car and be tiring. Here is how I got them off.

Once you remove the calipers, there are the two holes where they are mounted sitting doing nothing. I grabbed two bolts and 4 nuts. Size does not matter, just what ever can in the caliper mounting holes. Put the first bolt through, then slide the first nut up and make room for the second. The second nut needs to be flush with the bottom of the bolt and other nut is hand tightend till the caliper bracket. Do this for the hole also. Grab an open wrench, and fit it on the bolt by caliper bracket and use you socket and tighten the bolt. As you tighten, the bolt goes through and pushes the caliper. Do both bolts evenly so the rotor comes off smoother.

You will hear a loud pop, but that just means your rusty old rotor broke free. Yay!
Put your new rotor on, and put the phillips screws back in.

Bolt the caliper back on. Put your new pads in and put the safety pins. Take your old pad and bench clamp or what ever clamp is handy and use it to compress the caliper. similar to the front except you need something big, and clamps are ideal.

Fit the compressed caliper over and put bolts back in.

This is a temporary job so I did not bleed my brake system. But it is recommended to bleed your brakes. Part stores sell easy brake bleeding kits. This was just to get my car moving. I'm in process of saving for thermoquiet pads and slotted rotors. When i get them I'll bleed my brake fluid.
Old 06-30-14, 06:15 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like your old pads werent completely gone...but looks like your rotor was very glazed though
mighta just tried putting some brake degreaser on around the pads then go drive and applying some firm braking
i had my new brakes squeaking really bad after my friend and i put new pads in
...saw my rotors were all shiny but dingy so i did that and got rid of the noise and some of that glazing without resurfacing them
but new rotors and pads ftw!
Old 06-30-14, 07:39 AM
gr8wyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OKSTANCE
looks like your old pads werent completely gone...but looks like your rotor was very glazed though
mighta just tried putting some brake degreaser on around the pads then go drive and applying some firm braking
i had my new brakes squeaking really bad after my friend and i put new pads in
...saw my rotors were all shiny but dingy so i did that and got rid of the noise and some of that glazing without resurfacing them
but new rotors and pads ftw!
yea front ones were alright, but back ones were wipped, along with rotor. I didnt change front rotors and might as well changed my pads since they were free