Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)

Old 06-09-14, 06:27 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)

This isn’t really a build thread as much as it is an upgrade thread but here it goes –

Short history:

Bolted a Vortech V-9 F trim supercharger on my 95 SC400 in late 2007. Since then have made a ton of modifications, slowly improving power as well as 1/8 and ¼ mile times. Mid 2011 I finally (after several hundred track runs on a high mileage mostly stock V8) did some damage to the motor. Didn’t kill it but had low compression on 2 cyls. Built myself a mild motor. Never ran it until this last Saturday. Running a little slower than before I built the motor but I blame this mostly on my driving, it has been along time. Also last year I wrecked my 95. Bought a 96 and transferred as many parts as possible over.

Modification list: (not in any particular order)

Vortech Supercharger V-9 F trim
Water Methanol injection
Reversed intake manifold
Electric cooling fans
Very large aluminum radiator
Ross pistons 8.5 to 1 CR
The “thick” factory rods
ARP head studs
Cometic head gaskets
ACL bearings
Block and heads resurfaced
Intake and heads ported (gasket matched)
Adaptronic e420c ECU
Bosch idle control valve
3bar GM map sensor (no MAF)
ABS / TRAC delte
Suprastick transmission controller
Built transmission
PI Dragon convertor
Supra Torsen LSD (stock gear ration)
Supra Illumina adjustable shocks / swift lower springs
ALL poly bushings
Solid front diff mounts
Reinforced rear subframe mounts
IMF headers
2.5 inch exhaust
x-pipe
1 AEM and 1 Innovative wideband
CarPC

Well, that’s the short list, LOL. I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

Anyway, planned upgrades:

Crower springs and titanium retainers
Kelford cams 207-a
Vortech V2 Si trim

The cams aren’t super aggressive over stock so probably won’t be a huge increase there. The springs and retainers should do the engine allot of good and allow me to up the rev limit a little. Still can’t go too crazy without converting to either shim under bucket or shimless lifters.

The new supercharger should be capable of HUGE gains over my current setup.

Specs to compare:

V-9 F-trim

Max impeller speed = 52000 rpm
Max boost = 13.5psi
Max flow = 750 cfm
Max horsepower = 550
Peak efficiency = 76%

V-2 Si trim

Max impeller speed = 52000 rpm
Max boost = 22psi
Max flow 1150 cfm
Max horsepower = 775
Peak efficiency = 78%

Going to be bad ***! LOL. About 35% more flow and more efficient and capable of much higher boost levels.

So I'm not really sure what my motor can handle. I figure I will start with about 10psi, which is what I was making at the track the other night, and work my way up from there. I plan to run a 2.62 diameter pulley and spin the motor to about 6800rpm. This will = 51389 rpm supercharger speed. In theory this will give me about the max boost the thing will make. I plan on using some sort of air valve (possibly an electronic BOV or a wastegate setup) controlled by my ECU to limit the boost. I'm going to try a regular solenoid activated air / water valve to start. Any ideas welcom. This will give me more boost at lower RPM's yet keep the boost from going higher than I want.

For reference later, I ran twice last Saturday. Felt awesome but only managed a best of about 8.2 @ 87mph (1/8 mile). At that MPH I should have been running 7.9's but as I said, I'm out of practice. Mostly wasn't pushing enough on the launch, Most of my time was lost in the 60ft I think.

My previous best with the other motor in the other car was a 7.703 @ 88.xxx mph, I plan to crush that number. Goal is to approach 7.0 if not into the 6's. This would give me a car that can do high 10's in the 1/4 mile.

Guessing about 400rwhp now, looking for somewhere between 500-600. I think it is capable of it.

It's going to be a bit before I get my supercharger. The order just went in to Vortech today. Brand new unit. I have the springs and retainers and waiting on the cams to show up. Will probably go ahead and get those in as soon as possible after I get them.

Stay tuned!

Some pictures of current setup:
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-101.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-img_3538.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-img_3540.jpg  
Old 06-09-14, 06:36 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's always nice to see the 1UZ get some extra power. I look forward to reading future posts.
Old 06-09-14, 11:21 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

subscribed! saw your interior thread, it's wild in there!!!
Old 06-10-14, 06:07 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

So some parts I have:

New intake piping. The new supercharger outlet size is 2.75 inch compared to the current units 2.5 inch.

Crower springs and titanium retainers.

2.62 inch Vortech pulley.

A new license plate frame.

Also have valve cover gaskets, ignition caps / rotors and cam seals. These are for the cam swap.

New water meth injection hose.

OTW:

New supercharger. Vortech V-2 SQ Si trim. This was ordered direct from Vortech Monday and will take up to two weeks for them to build it and send it out to me.

Cams should be here Thursday. Hopefully get these in this weekend.

Ordered a few of these - http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...045c780e17edcc
Will use these for the idle air hose connection and possibly a bypass valve and or boost control valve.

Have one of these OTW - http://www.ebay.com/itm/300625215478...84.m1439.l2649
This in theory can be used (controlled by my ECU) a boost control and a bypass valve. Not sure how well it will work yet.

I think that is about it. Thinking about upping the size of my water meth nozzles as I don't think I have enough spray at higher RPM, heat climbs a bit. Found an awesome way to install nozzles in silicone intake hoses here - http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

Could really use some ideas on how to regulate boost pressure. The valve I bought might work but not sure how well it will actually regulate pressure. Considering a turbo wastegate setup on the intake side of my setup with either a boost controller or controlled by my ECU (electric wastegate).

Long story but I actually have a used Vortech V-2 SQ S trim that's going to show up tomorrow. I need to sell it but might use it to mock up my setup for when I get the Si trim unit. Bolt pattern should be the same. If any one is interested in it LMK, I only want to get what I paid for it and it's a pretty good deal I think. Will put it in the classifieds and probably on eBay when I'm ready.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo.jpg  
Old 06-10-14, 06:58 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Its always good to show the 1UZ some love and affection on here. Hardly ever see this method anymore. Always a 1JZ and 2JZ more common than the LS1.
Glad to see you make a build thread. I saw your car several years ago on the other Lexus forums. Loved it from the start.
Old 06-11-14, 01:13 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Cams have arrived. Maybe put in this weekend, not sure yet.

Brand new still in sealed bags.
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo3.jpg  
Old 06-11-14, 07:41 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

This is the V2 S trim I bought. I will eventually sell it as I don't need it. Might bolt it on when I do the cams as it the current unit will need to come off anyway. Then swap it out when I get my Si trim.
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo4.jpg  
Old 06-17-14, 05:51 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Haven't posted much but have been busy. Been working on the car on and off for the past few days.

I have managed to get the valve springs and retainer in as well as the cams. Still putting it back together.

Not a fun job, LOL. The gears on the camshafts need to be swapped over to the new cams and they are more or less pressed on. Putting in the valve springs / retainers about killed me. Everything is in the way. The very worst was the very back exhaust valve on the #7 cyl. The brake booster is in the way, I considered taking it out. I lost 3 keepers and have no idea where they went, LOL.

But the cams are in and shimmed. Shouldn't be much longer before I'm done. You can tell the are a bit more aggressive looking at the lobes. I have an AEM 50-1000 fuel pump to put in and I got myself some 550cc injectors. Have 440cc now and stock fuel pump at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo5.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo6.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo9.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo10.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo11.jpg  

Old 06-17-14, 01:30 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to see my cams are finally gonna get some use. Don't forget to post some vids once it's back together. Good luck on the rest of it!
Old 06-19-14, 11:47 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

So finally got the car running last night. Had it done Tuesday but didn't have the ***** at the time to start it, LOL. Got the cams, springs, retainers, 550cc injectors and AEM fuel pump installed. Did not want to idle worth a crap when I first started it, had to do some tuning. Still needs some adjustment but is running pretty good. Exhaust note sounds a little bit deeper. Haven't gotten on it much as I have only driven it to the gas station last night and to work this morning. One of my water meth hoses was leaking so I wasn't getting any cooling from it so afraid to get on it much. Also needs a bit of tuning outside of idle. Once I get it running a bit better I'll take some video.

Side note, I WILL NEVER do the valve springs in the car again. I will pull the heads off or pull the motor out. Was hell, LOL.

Now I'm just waiting on my supercharger.

KC
Old 06-21-14, 03:07 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Not much love for the V8 guys around here lately....???? LOL

Anyway, starting to get the tune on and car is running great! Feels a bit more aggressive for sure and has a slight different tone to the intake and exhaust.

I did melt my fuel pump relay (in place of the fuel pump ECU) yesterday but figured out and fixed it quick,

Need some input on my wastegate idea, posted some more info on it here : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post8593079

Thanks,
Old 06-27-14, 04:35 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

So as stated before, got the cams, retainers and springs in. Also the AEM fuel pump and the 550cc injectors.

In the process of upgrading my fans. I have been using fans from a 96ish Camry. Car has been getting a little hotter than I like lately. I severely mis-measured and decided to make up my own shroud using the fans I had already bought.

Also in the process of making the used v-2 s trim I have fit. Then when I get the brand new V-2 Si trim it will be a direct swap.

I am also converting to coil over plug ignition. Will be a waste spark setup as my ECU has 4 ignition outputs.

More info and pics to come.
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo-14.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo-16.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo-17.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo-18.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-photo-19.jpg  

Old 06-29-14, 10:51 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats to my fellow N Carolinian! Looking good!

steve
Old 07-06-14, 05:45 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok guys, bunch of pics here. In the near future I am going to attempt a detailed writeup on supercharging the SC400 but for now just short descriptions and pics.

The car has been down a week and a half now, been working on it every chance I get. Kicking my but a little. Things would be easier and probably cleaner if I had machining tools but oh well.

I have installed the V-2 S trim. I should be getting my brand new V-2 Si trim tomorrow, should be a direct swap over and I will be doing this next weekend. I have gone COP wasted spark using Accel Supercoils and an AEM ignition box. I have eliminated the ugly Bosch idle valve I had and I'm going to attempt to control idle with the throttle stop screw and a VSV controlled by the ECU. Put in a catch can. Have a wastegate plumbed to my intake pipe for use as a bypass valve and a pressure / overboost relief valve. Got a drive belt that fits first try although I need to go down one size as the tensioner is about maxed out. That's most of it.

PICS
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-3.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-1.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-2.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-4.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-5.jpg  

Old 07-06-14, 05:46 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

More pics

The box tapped to the supercharger is for checking hood clearance in case anyone is wondering.
Attached Thumbnails Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-6.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-7.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-8.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-9.jpg   Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)-11.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time to get serious (supercharged SC400)