Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

TT SC400 1UZ 126MPH in the 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 08:42 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to suggest it, but have to ask if you have tried a bit of weight in the trunk?
Gotta love that stock Toyota suspension, especially when you get it for next to nothing after someone has replaced it with some ebay coil overs lol.
That's a very cool setup using the stock ecu and all.
Old 09-04-14, 07:17 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks SC V8. I haven't tried putting weight in the trunk. With the supra Springs, and playing with the tire pressure (17 psi seems to be good) I'm not really having traction issues anymore. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the car to launch, and stay under power.
My clutch is aggressive, but I think that is going to take some practice.
The supra springs were just that, a very good condition set off of a supra, that somebody put some Megan E-bay stuff on.
$180 and an hours time, and I got a 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile. I can't complain ;-)

Yeah the stock ECU is kind of unique.
With the 400's there isn't the aftermarket support that the 2jz's have so you have to think outside of the box sometimes.
We didn't intend to really keep the ECU, but just kept pushing it, and trying to save a couple dollars at the same time.
running the E85 in the secondary injectors is what is allowing me to keep the stock ECU and timing.
Old 09-27-14, 09:03 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Well I took the SC400 back to the track last Wednesday 9-24-14 and I let a little more air out of the slicks. 17psi, and I was more aggressive with the launch.
It resulted it an 11.269 @ 131 mph with 21psi
With a 1.675 sec 60 foot.

I'm pretty happy with what the car has done so far.
I'm still hoping to get a few more shots at the track before the weather gets to cold here in Chicago.
Maybe I can pull off a high 10 second pass.
Wish me luck.
Old 09-27-14, 09:05 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Old 09-30-14, 05:30 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome bro!

I'd like to run mine but I'm broke and breaking anything would suck right now. LOL.

Keep the times coming.

KC
Old 09-30-14, 08:05 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Thanks KC.
a 10.90 would be pretty great!
I was looking on dragtimes, and the best MPH on an SC300 was 145ish.
I think my goal for the winter will be to beat that next summer.
With the cooler days approaching the drag days here in Chicago are going to be coming to an end.
Old 10-03-14, 08:18 PM
Phoenyx084
Rookie

Any details on your twin turbo setup?
Old 10-03-14, 10:40 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

man that is a quick 400!!! nice job, that's already an awesomely fast car. you're only .3 seconds away from having a fast and furious "10 second car" you should be proud. i think the car is already that, just some more practice and getting used to it and you could probably get into mid 10s no doubt. even better that you're in chicago, we got bragging rights now lol.
Old 10-08-14, 02:59 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Phoenyx084
Any details on your twin turbo setup?
Hey Phoenyx, what would you like to know?
I do have a build thread on here, and on lextreme.com
If you search for rdm20fan I think you should be able to find it fairly easily.

Stock 1st gen block, heads, intake.
Pauter rods. Ross pistons 8.5:1 compression.
Supra valve springs.

Stock Lexus ECU stock timing.

The car has a second fuel system (tank/pump/lines/800cc injectors) and an additional injector controller which fires the second set of injectors once the manifold see positive boost pressure.
I'm running E85 as the second fuel. The motor loves it :-)

C.M. Racing built the adapter ring to mate the 1uz to the supra getrag 6-speed
C.M. Racing built the entire kit. All the piping, custom made radiator, and the intercooler.
Intercooler is twin Garret 4.5 inch cores 12 x 18 - (12 x 36 total) custom made end tanks.
Old 10-08-14, 03:04 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldManTan
man that is a quick 400!!! nice job, that's already an awesomely fast car. you're only .3 seconds away from having a fast and furious "10 second car" you should be proud. i think the car is already that, just some more practice and getting used to it and you could probably get into mid 10s no doubt. even better that you're in chicago, we got bragging rights now lol.
Thanks oldmantan!
Where in IL are you? I'm in Prospect Heights. About 30 north of O'hare airport.
We do have some quick cars up here in The Chicago area, don't we.
All my videos are at Great Lakes Dragaway, and that's usually where I race, although once in a while over at Byron.

I'm pretty sure the car has a good 10sec run in her. I think the driver still needs a little practice. He is no john force, but I've been asking questions, taking advice, trying new things, and if it works, I try and keep it and improve from there.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. It's a good ego boost :-)
Old 10-08-14, 06:05 AM
Phoenyx084
Rookie

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Hey Phoenyx, what would you like to know?
I do have a build thread on here, and on lextreme.com
If you search for rdm20fan I think you should be able to find it fairly easily.

Stock 1st gen block, heads, intake.
Pauter rods. Ross pistons 8.5:1 compression.
Supra valve springs.

Stock Lexus ECU stock timing.

The car has a second fuel system (tank/pump/lines/800cc injectors) and an additional injector controller which fires the second set of injectors once the manifold see positive boost pressure.
I'm running E85 as the second fuel. The motor loves it :-)

C.M. Racing built the adapter ring to mate the 1uz to the supra getrag 6-speed
C.M. Racing built the entire kit. All the piping, custom made radiator, and the intercooler.
Intercooler is twin Garret 4.5 inch cores 12 x 18 - (12 x 36 total) custom made end tanks.
Thanks for that info Bob! Great build.
Old 10-13-14, 10:45 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey Guys,
My Buddy Chris and I were kind of stumped as to why we couldn't get the boost over 20 psi. We took a quick look at the blow off/waste-gate set up we have on the car, and we didn't see a problem.
We figured at the track, that we had just reached the limit of the turbos.

After I pulled the data I couldn't see it being the limit of the turbo's as the boost would rise very quickly and then hit 20, and stop flat.
As I looked at it I assumed that if I were reaching the limit of the turbo's the boost would reach 20 psi more slowly, and be more of a curved line.

We went back looked at the waste-gate, and found out that the boost was just overcoming the spring pressure, and needed some stiffer springs. That and the diaphragm was torn.
I ordered a new diaphragm for $16, and found a couple stiffer springs. I should have it in this weekend, and hopefully I get at least one more chance to take her to the track.
We are going to try to put a little more boost to the motor with out blowing it up. (Knock on wood)
I'm really hoping to get her to run a 10 something before the year is up.

Bob
Old 09-21-15, 11:01 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates?
Old 09-22-15, 06:17 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey Maynanator, I hadn't realized that I haven't posted in almost a year.

I did get the boost above 20psi. But started running into a problem of pushing out coolant above that point. I think I comprised the head gasket when I changed out the head studs.
Over the winter I'm going to take the heads off and look into correcting the issue. I think I'm going to O-ring the heads to help ensure I don't have the issue in the future.

The SC ended up running multiple passes in the low 11's with a best E.T of 11.01 although I was very excited with the time, I was so close to running a 10, but for now she is an 11 second car, not a ten
The best mph was 133 with multiple 130+ mph trap speeds.

I did break the supra auto Torsen diff. I guess the hard launches with a 10" slick, and the aggressive clutch I'm running is not easy on the differential. I'm actually surprised it handled all the abuse that it did.
I have upgraded to the 6-speed manual differential. Those things aren't cheap. My old gear was a 3.76 and the 6-speed has a 3.26
It has been a lot different getting the car to leave with the taller gear. I need more practice. I'm afraid of breaking the new diff, so I haven't done a lot of pulls on it. I'm waiting to upgrade the center section.
I have noticed some stress cracks starting on the driveshaft. It hasn't broken, but I need to look into getting a new one made.

My buddy Chris and I decided to paint the car, and make her look pretty.
That has basically been the project of this summer. She is getting close, but not done yet.
I will try and post some photos of the progress of the paint n body work.
Old 09-22-15, 11:31 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Pics of the broken diff.

Quick Reply: TT SC400 1UZ 126MPH in the 1/4