Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC300: Past 2 years build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 05:54 AM
mrpeterman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300: Past 2 years build thread

Long time lurker here! I wanted to share my build that have been worked on for the last 2 years. Much of it was possible by the information and community on here and wanted to give a nice thread back.

This was my first project car, I originally started thinking about a MK3 supra, but my brother suggested a look into the a SC300, since it was closer to my dream car, a MK4.
A week later, I picked this up: 1992 SC300 black on tan, 138k.
Since I didn't know cars from a hole in the wall, my brother was nice enough to let me use his shop and his time for us to build something and teach me a thing or two.

The interior needed some love, pass door panel was messed up bad, back seats where cracked and coated in something weird, but it the body was in good shape, low-ish miles, and the right color.

The first mod I started on was small. I found a thread here on repairing cluster needles and replacing lights. I opted to go with red tips because there was less wiring and I liked the look.

The LEDs where stupid small.

Even though a few were still working I changed them all, wanting them to match and expecting the others to fail at some point as well.

Also on the menu was coilovers, I went with Megan's EZ street, found a lot of members here were running them.

Also the headlights where pulled. They were fogging and needed to fix that. While we where there the housing was blacked out, leaving a small bit of the chrome edge alone to give it some highlights.

I replaced the stereo with a nicer double DIN which helped clean up the center console as well as replace the cheap speakers inside the door panels. They were attached with drywall screws to I got some baffles from ebay.

At thing point I had no idea how much of a money pit I had gotten myself into. I originally just wanted to make the interior nicer and add a sound system. But soon I started look at new rims and playing with the idea of doing a 1JZ swap and black interior swap. Before I could commit to anything I impulse bought a new door panel.

And new wheels. Nismo LMGT4 by Rays. It was weird putting Nissan rims on a lexus, but the fitment, style, and price was right.

Old 06-01-14, 05:55 AM
mrpeterman
Driver School Candidate

Not soon after the wheels we found a complete Soarer 1JZ auto swap. At this point it was Fall and I hadn't even driven the car much really, but it felt like it needed to become the Soarer it always wanted to be.

Decided on leaving the stock twins, but upgraded the y-pipe.

I was pretty good with soldering, so I went to extending the harness by about 22''.

Used an old USB cord for the knock sensor.

We pulled the 2JZ, but engine mounts were broken in half glad I didn't drive it beyond up the road.

Finished swap next to my brother's swapped GS. His build thread is here:

At this point it was winter so no driving it for awhile. I did shopping and picked up a new lip from ebay, got set of LS400 BBK, and 3 spoke GS steering wheel.

By spring the car got its first good cleaning and clay bar and was being driven daily.

The tan interior still wasn't sitting well with me, I thought about dyeing/painting the whole think like in 1JZPWRD's thread, but while looking through craigslist, we found a 95 black on black SC300. It barely ran and had some rust, but it was cheap and the interior was in really good shape. I lined up a buyer for my tan interior and we picked it up.

Last edited by mrpeterman; 06-01-14 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Adding part 2 of build thread, and photos
Old 06-01-14, 05:56 AM
mrpeterman
Driver School Candidate

The 95 was completely stock inside. I was able to save every nut and bolt and started pulling my new interior.

Also thought about swapping the tails and trunk...

Started pulling the old tan. Would not miss it.

Dodging rain.

Since the 95 has the pass airbag, this piece was a pain to take out.

Also found that we needed to swap the sunroof.

At this point I was feeling really happy with how the project had come
Painted the lip and installed it.

Last edited by mrpeterman; 06-01-14 at 06:27 AM. Reason: adding part 3 and photos
Old 06-01-14, 06:13 AM
mrpeterman
Driver School Candidate

Did my first Dyno day and confirmed that the little smoke I had been seeing on deceleration was probably the stock twins going bad. The single turbo swap was then planned out, among other things. Like Soarer badges and fixing my hyperblink from the 95 tails.

My brother who originally started me down this path of financial destruction decided to come visit my with his new toy. Always got to one up me...

Started to collect the single turbo parts the rest of the fall into winter. Found a T3 Garret GT30 that was about the right HP range I was looking for (400-450)

By now it was dead of winter, so found a paint shop that could fix the flaking that had started on my front bumper as well as some small defects on the rear and trunk that had been bugging me since i got the car.

Old wing was found to be mostly bondo, ebay'd a Soarer one.

It was now ready to have the twins replaced.

Found an A-pillar 2 pod for a honda that fit alright. Also added the AFC NEO piggyback.

That was about 2 years of building to get it to the point I'm very happy with
I'm sure there will be more in the future, but for now I love it!

Recently went down to Import Face Off at Epping NH

Last edited by mrpeterman; 06-01-14 at 10:29 AM. Reason: adding part 4 of build thread
Old 06-01-14, 07:39 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work! Many upgrades over time...I like it!

steve
Old 06-01-14, 07:42 AM
mrpeterman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
Future mods are the JDM badges eventually as well as a set of GS rear calipers.
Will also need a tune and dyno to see how much power gain was had with the single turbo.
Old 06-01-14, 08:23 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, great progress, great build! Looking forward to more mods!
Old 06-01-14, 09:04 AM
RicoLSX
Driver

Damn, hell of an improvement! I like what you've done with her.

Question for ya, why the GS rear calipers over the TT rears?
Old 06-01-14, 09:55 AM
Sylexus
Driver

Great job!
Old 06-01-14, 10:19 AM
mrpeterman
Driver School Candidate

RicoLSX,
The GS calipers where just some extra parts from an Aristo swap rear subframe, so didn't want to turn down free parts
Old 06-01-14, 11:03 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great Progress. Car looks awesome, and props for putting so much work into this car to make it so clean. One thing its missing is some side skirts to flow better with that wise lip
Old 06-01-14, 11:36 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing it needs is sides and a rear. i like the front bumper de-badged. looks really clean.
Old 06-01-14, 12:40 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very good job , it maybe have been a money pit but i have the feeling you enjoyed every bit of it , my compliments on the car !
Old 06-01-14, 12:45 PM
mrpeterman
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the compliments and feed back!
Yes, 97+ sides are on the list of mods I'd like to get someday.

It has be one the best money pits I've ever had, I really am happy with how its came out over the years
Old 06-01-14, 06:17 PM
Meyagi
Driver

i didnt realize you had taken so may pics during the build... i must have been too busy turning wrenches on it to notice
Glad you are enjoying my bad influence at least!

Quick Reply: SC300: Past 2 years build thread