Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

GS in my pants Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 06:21 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check engine light is on. As stated in a previous post, it is throwing off 3 different o2 sensor codes. It has a weird scent coming from the exhaust, and after the car warms up it acts as though it wants to die. I took it to a friend to get the timing and everything reset. Started running a little big better but still not 100%. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-09-15, 01:15 AM
ProjektS13
Driver

Hey whats up man, funny thing is that we met unintentionally. Since I posted in this thread it notified me that someone posted, anyways I was scrolling through the pix and I recognized the car haha Its James, Eli"s friend.

Last edited by ProjektS13; 01-09-15 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 01:37 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

looks like the car is in good hands
Old 01-09-15, 05:24 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

James, yea I remember you. Haha. Too funny how we met.
Old 01-29-15, 08:53 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

Was doing a lot of work on the car lately. Had the car up in the air and wanted to do some much needed maintenance. It was about that time to change the motor oil and transmission fluid.

So I drained the transmission fluid first and it was pretty dirty to say the least. Was about 2 quarts that was drained.

I also changed out the motor oil and that was definitely due for a change also. No need for pics on that. That is pretty straight forward.
Old 01-29-15, 09:16 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

Here is the engine bay. This pain in my ***. I still have a check engine light on, after I swapped out both o2 sensors. My check engine light is still on and the codes are still 21, 27, 28.

I believe that I figured out or pin pointed the issue with the motor. For some reason there is no vacuum from the EGR valve or from the EGR vacuum modulator which is pretty weird. Thinking this was one of the issues I swapped out both parts. I picked up some good stuff from the local pick n pull.

I have no idea what is going on now. I thought it was my cat but now think that it is a bigger issue than I thought. I checked out all the vacuum lines from the EGR etc and everything seems to be in the right spot.
I've even checked the vacuum switching valve to make sure that it was still working and it definitely was.

At this moment I am at a little bit of a loss. Trying not to purchase anything I do not need. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-15, 09:27 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

Side note...looking for a factory battery tie down.
As one issue is solved another pops up. I do not know why my two rear windows have no power at all. Also the rear defroster is not working. Kind of a pain in the morning. Still working to figure these issues out also.

You can see the pipe holding the window up. Lol.
Well today was a good day because the window regulator that I got from the junk yard worked perfectly. Also picked up a hood strut and installed both of those items today. Both of them work awesome.

Here is the new regulator.

So I have been getting little issues figured out on the car. It is coming together slowly. I really need to figure out this whole exhaust, vacuum issue I am having. I need to smog the car asap. Maybe somebody may have some input as that would be awesome. Stay tuned for some more updates.
Old 01-30-15, 04:22 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a really good write up on diagnosing the EGR system in the D.I.Y section. Sometimes the main egr tubes is blocked and causes problems.
Old 01-30-15, 09:59 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

Cool thanks for the heads up. I will look into that!
Old 02-02-15, 10:30 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

So did some more work on the car today. All these little things are starting to add up. Ha. I recently got lucky and found a good condition hood strut at the junkyard. So I picked that one up and also had a strut on order from PepBoys. One of the weird things I found was that the new strut did not have a ball on the ends to bolt onto the hood and engine bay.
As you can see no ball on the end.

So what I did was use the other old and warn out strut and cut the ends and use the ball on the ends. I was not sure if it was going to work because I did not read anything about it, but it seemed to work out just fine!

Then I put the bolt with the ball on the end on the hood and engine bay first. Then the strut afterwards. Worked out perfect.

Here is the brand from PepBoys that i purchased.

Here is the part number for those interested.
Old 02-02-15, 10:41 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

So finally all 4 windows are working! Woohoo! Well kind of,, the front two work just fine but for some reason it is as if the rear two are not getting any kind of power. Would anybody happen to have any ideas? Tips?

As you can see it is held up with a piece of piping. Also instead of just going to get another window regulator they taped the window so now I have a whole bunch of tape residue on the window I need to get off. Should be fun. Lol.

Old and busted

New hotness

The reason I know the regulators in the rear work is beccause I put power to them to make sure they go up and down. Just an fyi.
Old 02-02-15, 10:47 PM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

Now there are more developments in issues with the car.
So I was driving yesterday and stopped to get pizza for the game and heard a bubbling coming from the engine bay and my overflow tank was bubbling. No idea why, but now need to figure that out.
I also checked the check engine light today and now I have 5 codes. 21, 25, 27, 28 and 71. Should be pretty interesting fixing everything. I am pretty tempted to take it to a dealership and have them diagnose everything.
Pretty sure the cat is bad but not sure which one. Does the front or rear one usually go bad? Not too sure and do not want to change out anything I do not have to.
This is beginning to turn into a little headache.
Old 02-03-15, 09:12 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

I have an idea on why your rear windows don't work. If you open the door and find the boot where the wires pass through the door and B-pillar. Some of the wires are probably broken. That is what was wrong with my car when I first got it. Also didn't have any lights when the door opens.
Old 02-04-15, 09:44 AM
Unqlyrwstl
Driver School Candidate

I will definitely have to check all the wires going into the door. Weird thing is that the lock/unlock function works in the doors and the lights work when the doors open. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-04-15, 06:19 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

Also clean the contacts on the window switches in the drivers door.

The bubbling could be a blown head gasket, or a leak somewhere in your coolant system pulling in air (a common problem is the o-rings on the pipe behind the water pump)

Quick Reply: GS in my pants Build Thread