Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 06:10 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Looks awesome Hameed! The wheels really compliment the hood as well.
Thanks Dave! Thanks to you and Krista again for putting up with us on the way back from Florida early this year when I picked up the wheels.
Old 08-12-14, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

car looks great hameed, always great to see updates from OGs
Old 08-15-14, 05:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by rominl
car looks great hameed, always great to see updates from OGs
Thanks rominl! The car feels like a new car now as I also swapped out the suspension to the Tanabe's and KYB GR2 shocks. The ride is not harsh anymore and I also put in new pads for the StopTechs as well as replaced all the bolts around the rotor hat and that got rid of all the noise completely. The pads were worn out quite a bit and were rattling in the caliper so much, it was so annoying.

Now I just have to do a custom surround for the sound system and put in a Tablet connected via bluetooth to a radio and that will be it for another couple of years.

I'm not yet at 100K miles.
Old 08-15-14, 07:46 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooooh, wheels + stoptech calipers look beautiful.
Old 08-22-14, 03:55 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by armanitran
ooooh, wheels + stoptech calipers look beautiful.
Thanks, its been an interesting journey
Old 08-18-15, 09:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default Nexus 7 tablet (2013 model) in dash

Nexus 7 (2013) tablet install in the dash

I've pondered this install for over 2 years and finally decided to go ahead with the install.

I had originally upgraded the sound system in car by pulling out the stock Nakamichi Head Unit (a couple of years ago) and replaced all the wiring, speakers etc with decent components - Mid and tweeter (separates)- Focal speakers in the front door and a 13 inch Focal sub in the trunk. I focused this upgrade for an SQ setup and did not install any speakers in the rear on purpose. For amps, I used two Zapco's (one for the fronts and one for the subwoofer)

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D1 navigation/Head Unit and also installed tons of sound deadening all over the doors, trunk etc.

Fast forward to today and here is my new setup - since I had upgraded the wiring and speakers already, I focused this build on the Tablet install and a new HU that connected to my upgraded wiring. I then connected the tablet via the USB DAC (the Microstreamer unit) to the Head Unit aux input for audio out to the car speakers/amps. This simplified my install as I only needed to focus on the tablet install and the new Head Unit Install. Needless to say I ripped out the Pioneer unit for this install.

I flashed Timur's kernel ( https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/ ) for a fixed install as its perfect for these types of installs - the tablet goes into a deep sleep mode when accessory power is shut off and it loses very little charge overnight (roughly about 1 - 2 % per 10 hours). As soon as you turn on the car, the tablet senses power has been applied and the screen comes on immediately. So even though my install allows me to remove the tablet from the car, I don't really have to remove it. It comes on immediately when the car is turned on and goes off (deep sleep) when the car is turned off. You don't need to setup any complicated (for me anyway) tasker routines to take care of this. I then connect my tablet to my Note 3's hot spot for Internet access.

I had the install done professionally - the custom fabrication of the tablet and Head Unit mount. That was really the main part of this install by Ultra Auto Sound in Mississauga, Ontario ( http://ultraautosound.com/tag/nexus/ ) . They did an excellent job as you can see from the pics on their website and below. Thanks Joe!

I haven't been able to get the backup camera to work yet with the tablet as my understanding of how it works with the tablet was not thorough enough and I need to do some more reading to figure it out properly.

Here are the parts I bought:
  1. Nexus 7 (2013) tablet ofcourse
  2. Head Unit - Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 CD Receiver with built in BT and HD radio - its one of the better Head Units on the market right now (
    Amazon.com : Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 CD Receiver with Built-in Bluetooth and HD Radio : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 CD Receiver with Built-in Bluetooth and HD Radio : Car Electronics
    )
  3. USB Hub - DLink 7 port USB hub (
    D-Link DUB-H7BL 7 Port USB 2 Hub: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets D-Link DUB-H7BL 7 Port USB 2 Hub: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets
    )
  4. USB DAC - HRT microStreamer (
    Amazon.com: HRT - MicroStreamer: Electronics Amazon.com: HRT - MicroStreamer: Electronics
    )
  5. Backup Camera - TaoTronics TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car Licence plate backup camera (
    TaoTronics TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 8 IR LED Night Vision (170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line / Black / Zinc Metal Casing): Amazon.ca: Electronics TaoTronics TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 8 IR LED Night Vision (170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line / Black / Zinc Metal Casing): Amazon.ca: Electronics
    )
  6. USB Video capture card - VGB100 USB 2.0 Video Capture Device card (
    Amazon.com: August VGB100 USB 2.0 Video Capture Device Card - Grabber Lead to Convert VHS / S Video / RGB via USB Transfer Cable - For Windows 7 / Vista / XP: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: August VGB100 USB 2.0 Video Capture Device Card - Grabber Lead to Convert VHS / S Video / RGB via USB Transfer Cable - For Windows 7 / Vista / XP: Computers & Accessories
    )
  7. Bluetooth remote for audio controls - Satechi® Bluetooth Button (
    Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5C, iPad Air 2/Air/Mini/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/Note 4/3/2/Edge/Pro/Tab Pro, Google Nexus 9/7/6/5, Moto X/G, LG G3, and more (Media Button): Amazon.ca: Electronics Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5C, iPad Air 2/Air/Mini/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/Note 4/3/2/Edge/Pro/Tab Pro, Google Nexus 9/7/6/5, Moto X/G, LG G3, and more (Media Button): Amazon.ca: Electronics
    )
  8. USB Flash drive - SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (
    SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive With Speed Up To 245MB/s-SDCZ80-064G-GAM46: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive With Speed Up To 245MB/s-SDCZ80-064G-GAM46: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets
    )
  9. Micro USB OTG cable and charger - (
    Amazon.com: HDMIHOME Left angled 90d Micro USB OTG Cable With USB power for i9500 N7100 NOTE3 N9000: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: HDMIHOME Left angled 90d Micro USB OTG Cable With USB power for i9500 N7100 NOTE3 N9000: Computers & Accessories
    )
  10. USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female extension cables for charging my Note 3 and my wifes Note 2 while in the car (
    AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable - 3.3 Feet (1 Meter): Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable - 3.3 Feet (1 Meter): Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets
    )
  11. OBD2 BT dongle. This allows me to display a bunch of information on the Dash Command app (shown in a couple of pics below with the LFA "skin"). You can also read any error codes without paying an arm and a leg to the dealer.

Here is the before pic:

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-jzg2psb.jpg

And the current pics:
USB Hub with the USB Digital Audio Controller (HT Microstreamer), USB Flash Drive and Video Grabber for the backup camera
My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-jyr2ptf.jpg

DashCommand for car diagnostics and other info via OBD2 BT dongle. This is the LFA "skin'
My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-1lurywb.jpg

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-yjq3ikk.jpg

Waze maps and close up of the Kenwood KDC-X998 Head unit
My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-tyzjdgl.jpg

Close up of the tablet mount
My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-fdvrlrw.jpg

Close up of the Satechi BT audio controller
My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-mmzjixz.jpg

Some more pics
My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-4xagwmx.jpg

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-nalnumw.jpg

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-gfmuwwa.jpg

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-kvkqrkr.jpg

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-b3t8fwn.jpg

Last edited by Hameed; 08-18-15 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-18-15, 04:57 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks cool
Old 08-20-15, 03:38 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the install Hameed! Its a good look. I'm going do something similar this winter but going with an iPad air 2 instead of the nexus, want to get rid of the carputer that I have now.
Old 08-24-15, 12:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

that looks great... install is flawless... i would love something like this...
Old 09-09-15, 05:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Congrats on the install Hameed! Its a good look. I'm going do something similar this winter but going with an iPad air 2 instead of the nexus, want to get rid of the carputer that I have now.
Thanks. I went with the Nexus simply because of the custom kernel that allows me to treat the tablet like a radio - it goes into deep sleep when I turn off the ignition (loses about 0.5% charge every 2 hours) and comes on instantly when I turn the car back on. In other words I don't have to wait for the tablet to boot up.

The custom kernel also supports a backup camera (I still need to configure that though as its not quite as straightforward as I had initially thought it would be).

Originally Posted by tmf2004
that looks great... install is flawless... i would love something like this...
Thanks man. I love it! Its just awesome.
Old 09-10-15, 06:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Super cool install Hameed!

You mention tablet is fixed, can you still rip it out to take inside for updates, etc?

On the LFA skin, is it functional? See you mention OBD2 linkage - what all does it pick up?
Old 10-27-15, 03:23 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Super cool install Hameed!

You mention tablet is fixed, can you still rip it out to take inside for updates, etc?

On the LFA skin, is it functional? See you mention OBD2 linkage - what all does it pick up?
Hey Dave, I didn't even notice you had posted on here till my son asked me to update the thread with the recent calamity that occurred to the car. See pics below. Coming back to your questions, its a removable install, but you can't tell by looking at it - the installer did a good job. It's just attached on with Velcro, its easy to pop off and back on anytime.

Regarding the LFA skin, yes its actually functional for the gauges that have been setup in it - it pulls this data via a BT connection to a BT enabled OBD2 reader. Most data - like, voltage, rpm, mpg, temperature of various fluids etc comes through. Plus a ton of others I can't even remember. Basically anything that is accessible via the OBD2 dongle, can be accessed via this app.

The car got damaged really badly yesterday (first accident its ever been in and I wasn't even inside the car!) unfortunately.

Some dumb *** 18 year old kid was speeding recklessly down the road in front of my house where the speed limit is about 25 MPH - he must have been going 45 mph at least based on the damage to the car. He was coming from the opposite direction and completely veered off his side of the road and went to the left and hit my car head on. He hit the car so hard, the car was launched for a good 200+ feet backwards, finally resting on a neighbors lawn - no doubt the tree helped to slow it down.

He was charged with reckless driving that's all. I got the brunt of it as I can't get anything even remotely close to 20% of an equivalent replacement for the car. So basically I lost my car to some idiot and there's nothing I can do about it. The f****g kid just lives down the road from me, goes to the same school as my younger son.....
Attached Thumbnails My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_20151026_173413.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_20151026_173409.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_20151026_165438.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_20151026_165417.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_20151026_165409.jpg  

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_20151026_165359.jpg  

Last edited by Hameed; 10-27-15 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 04:19 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

dayum man. thats unfortunate. im sorry to see that. the saddest part is how insurance companies do loyal customers. i been through it all too many times. loyal for decades, never make a claim, then get screwed on someone else messing up your car. and yet they spend billions on mindless commercials everyday. sorry man. are you going to get another GS?
Old 10-27-15, 07:18 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

that really sucks man....time to either strip it and sell it or build another with the salvageable parts....or sue him?
Old 10-28-15, 12:32 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Dam yo I feel for ya bro. That tab in there was clean. Makes the car look real nice with that in there.
Can you hook that thing up to play cd's?

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003