Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 01:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Hameed,

I think the Works are probably a little better quality just based on what I've read. I think mine are going to be a little lighter (19 lbs)

I had a recent issue with bending on mine, but I don't think it was the design of the Piaa's that did it.

Not all wheels are on here, but it's useful nonetheless.

http://www.wheelweights.net/

The equips weighed on the site are much smaller... I think I have a couple of other links at home.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-13-03 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 01:25 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by Dex
Oh yeah - the sound deadening (sp.?) material.

During my stereo install HERE, all doors and rear deck were done. This makes a big difference. I didn't realize it until I sat in a GS with Borlas + SRT intake that didn't have it.
Hi Dex,

Very nice car man!!

Which one of the pictures on that page show the insulation? I was not sure which one it is.....

Thanks Dave for the info on the wheels. I will probably end up getting the Work Equips (but will obiously have to wait for at least a year.).

Thanks!

Last edited by Hameed; 02-13-03 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 05:31 PM
Coolguy949
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed,

How much $$ did the whole thing run with parts and install?

Rob

Last edited by Coolguy949; 02-13-03 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 07:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Coolguy949
Hameed,

How much $$ did the whole thing run with parts and install?

Rob
he can only tell you parts, his install was free

where in CA are you in? i can give you some ballpark
Old 02-13-03, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Hameed - big congrats on the install - really glad to hear you like it. BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Your car will still obey the laws of physics and you CAN overdo it. And DO NOT TURN OFF VSC!!! Really bad idea with all the new capabilities of your car. I do not want to read about your car being wrecked. OK???

I did my mods in just about the same stages as SCWells and was able to adjust as they went on. Now of course I drive like a lunatic, but I digress.

You said you got the Tom's LCB (nice piece in my view - I have it) - you might also consider the Tom's rear strut brace.
Attached Thumbnails My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-07240006-2.jpg  
Old 02-13-03, 11:10 PM
shadow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein Shocks

Hey Dave are the bilstein shocks more firm than the l-tuned shocks?
Old 02-14-03, 04:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Hameed - big congrats on the install - really glad to hear you like it. BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Your car will still obey the laws of physics and you CAN overdo it. And DO NOT TURN OFF VSC!!! Really bad idea with all the new capabilities of your car. I do not want to read about your car being wrecked. OK???

I did my mods in just about the same stages as SCWells and was able to adjust as they went on. Now of course I drive like a lunatic, but I digress.

You said you got the Tom's LCB (nice piece in my view - I have it) - you might also consider the Tom's rear strut brace.
Hi Paul!

Thanks for the advice!

I never turn off VSC and believe me, I don't want to write about wrecking the car either. I am sure I will calm down soon (maybe )

The car is simply amazing! I just want to drive it all day long now!

How useful is the Toms Rear STB? Did you feel the difference after the install? The structure of the GS is very stiff anyway, what is the real world benefit of an STB (front or back) on this car?
I would like to be convinced there is some real benefit.
Old 02-14-03, 05:16 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed

How useful is the Toms Rear STB? Did you feel the difference after the install? The structure of the GS is very stiff anyway....
Not in the rear its not! Ask anyone who has driven near 1sicklex's backend while he's hitting 80mph through the twisties.

Seriously though, the GS's butt is a loose caboose.

They definitely help, but mostly in conjunction with other braces. The STBs help prevent lateral twisting of the frame.
Old 02-14-03, 08:42 AM
Coolguy949
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
he can only tell you parts, his install was free
I dont have a GS4 yet. I'm trying to decide between a pre-owned GS4 and another car. I'm just trying to get a picture of how much money i can expect to spend modifying it.

Do you guys work on your own cars? I've always worked on my own and have installed a few full suspensions on my car already.

where in CA are you in? i can give you some ballpark
How much were parts then? Is L-tuned the best to go for shocks and springs?

Thanks.

Rob
Old 02-14-03, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Coolguy949
I dont have a GS4 yet. I'm trying to decide between a pre-owned GS4 and another car. I'm just trying to get a picture of how much money i can expect to spend modifying it.

Do you guys work on your own cars? I've always worked on my own and have installed a few full suspensions on my car already.

How much were parts then? Is L-tuned the best to go for shocks and springs?

Thanks.

Rob
when it comes to suspension i don't work on my car usually, i leave it to pros, otherwise i try.

umm.... if you talk about the best of course it's coilovers over any springs + shocks
Old 02-14-03, 01:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: Handling mods installed!!!! :D

Can you tell me about #6.? I guess I had forgotten about the TRD Rear LCB. Any pics? # of mounting points? I don't see any info on SGs site

To answer Dex question. The Tom's LCB is mount on the existing gas tank bolts(2 14 mm bolts) on the front and 2 sub frame mounting bolts on the rear.
If you want to DIY, be real careful and get at least 3 jack stands to support it. I put 2 jack on each side of the gas tank and one more on the rear sub frame. I did mine and bit in the shop so it's a lot easier to do it at home.
Attached Thumbnails My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-dsc00995.jpg  
Old 02-14-03, 01:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Another closer-up pic of the rear mounting points on my Tom's rear LCB snapped when I was looking at some recent wheel damage (underside of the car is a little dirty, sorry).
Attached Thumbnails My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-rear-lower-chassis-1.jpg  
Old 02-14-03, 01:40 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hi Dave,

In your experience, are the STB's (front or rear) really usefull in terms of improving handling feel?

Some CL members think so.......
Old 02-14-03, 01:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Hameed
Hi Dave,

In your experience, are the STB's (front or rear) really usefull in terms of improving handling feel?

Some CL members think so.......

the front it tighten the steering. i don't have teh rear but i heard it helps quite a bit, which makes sense
Old 02-14-03, 01:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yes (I've got TRD STB in the front and Tom's STB in the trunk). You won't tell as big a difference immediately as you would with other suspension mods. Car flex is definitely reduced, I notice it most going over uneven pavement, railroad tracks, etc and not so much in turns. Feels stiffer and more solid.

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003