sc3757
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks god man. Very clean
Old 11-03-14, 11:33 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

KahnBB6 Looking good, Lettut! Hope you can give it a first start soon.
sc3757 Looks god man. Very clean
Thank you guys! Yeah I know, I really should be out driving this car by now. I´ve had knee surgery recently, which has kept me away from the garage for a while.

Here´s a summary of the last weeks:

SHIFTER
As you may see on the first Picture, I had to widen the opening through the tunnel roof for the shifter a bit, to get the same position as stock. Fixed the shifter extension behind the opening with a steel plate and a couple of bolts.

The BMW gear shifter looks OK , I Think............

PROP SHAFT
The custom made propeller shaft should be pretty bullet proof. A Company in Stockholm who´s specialized in propeller shafts helped me with it. A modified Supra TT prop shaft, with 2,5 mm thick steel pipes instead of stock 1,5 mm. 137,2 cm in total length. Constructed so that I can use the stock attachement beside the bearing. Balanced.

Heatshield, cat and exhaust repainted and reinstalled:

My home made cross member:

Close up of the tranny-prop shaft adapter

New clutch line to the slave cylinder:

A couple of Pictures of the installation of new ss brake lines + the LS400 front calipers and discs:

Old 11-15-14, 01:21 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

First startup

A big relief that all the basics (wiring, oil pressure, etc) seems to be OK. I had to remove the neutral safe switch to get it started. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...th-pics-2.html) .
First I cranked it for a while with the igniter unplugged to build up oil pressure.
However, there are a couple of question marks:
* A rattling sound that I couldn´t locate exactly. A bit stronger on the turbo side
* The temp meter kept on Rising. Air bubbles? Other suggestions?

I wasn´t able to test drive it. The clutch slave cylinder is defect, so I´m waiting for a new one to be delivered. Still haven´t done the "tach fix".
Old 11-17-14, 01:47 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the temp keeps rising

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...with-pics.html

There's another solution too which I did. You can just relocate the brown wire to another pin on the same harness but I forgot which one

Last edited by kez; 11-17-14 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 06:30 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

If the temp keeps rising

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...with-pics.html

There's another solution too which I did. You can just relocate the brown wire to another pin on the same harness but I forgot
Thanks kez! I followed the instructions in that thread, and now the temp gauge behaves as it should.

I also did the tach fix today:

Both temp gauge and tachometer. Luxury.

Old 11-22-14, 06:56 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

A good video clip on the tach fix that I found on youtube.
Old 12-05-14, 07:28 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Decided to give myself an early Christmas gift. A two-post car lift. Thank you Santa

Old 12-08-14, 07:57 AM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build thanks for sharing.
Old 01-10-15, 03:54 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

luvmysc400 : Nice build thanks for sharing.
Thanks luvmysc400!

Have´nt done that much on the car lately, but here´s a small update:

BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER

I managed to connect the stock brake lines to the LS400 -97 brake master cylinder without having to extend the brake lines. At first I thought they where too short, but it worked when I rerouted them, and straightened them up a bit.
As far as I know (after finding a couple of threads here on the forum), the set up is the same on the SC- and the LS-cylinder, with the front port on the cylinder for the rear brakes. The LS reservoir has connections to the ABS as well, which I blocked off. Connected a new vacuum line for the brake booster as well.
I´m doing this complete swap of the braking system mainly to fulfill the Swedish traffic laws, and by doing this being able to register the car as "a rebuilt vehicle". I have no doubt in that the SC brake booster and brake master cylinder would work as well for the LS and Supra calipers.

Old 01-10-15, 04:31 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER

The new clutch slave cylinder is in Place. I´m having problems to build up pressure in the system though. I´ve bled it several times and then pumping the pedal.. I´ve also tried the method when you fill the system "the wrong way" via the bleeder valve. No progress so far.
Do you guys have any recommendation, when it comes to bleeding the clutch?

Old 01-10-15, 06:46 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all new components and a dry system you have to bleed it several times to make sure all the fluid gets through the lines.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how...-clutch.60319/
Old 05-23-15, 09:30 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Here´s an update for you gentlemen
I´ve been wrestling with the clutch problem since January and have finally solved the problem ! As I wrote earlier I bled the clutch several times and just couldn't get it to work, so I decided to pull out the engine and tranny once more, and check everything again.

Here´s what I had done wrong. The clutch release bearing can be installed in two different ways. I guess it´s constructed that way to be able to fit two different types of bmw trannys? If you turn it 90 degrees it will be in the other position. It alters the distance between the release arm and the pressure plate. I had a 50/50 chance of doing it right the first time, but of course I picked the wrong alternative then.

Here´s my set up for bleeding the clutch via the slave cylinder. I can really recommend a pressure brake/clutch bleeding kit . Found it on ebay for ca 60USD. It´s designed to be used via the reservoir but works fine for this alternative as well.

Finally out from the garage ! Me happy . The tilton twin plate clutch is pretty smooth actually. I haven't tried the car properly on the road yet. I have to get her registered as a rebuilt vehicle first. To be able to do that I have to get some kind of speedometer working. A GPS is not allowed. Some people use bicycle speedometers. If anyone of you guys have any advice, it would be appreciated.

Old 05-24-15, 06:35 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very interesting. You gotta hit us with a video of you driving. I was not aware of a BMW option for MT nor the cost being so low.
Old 11-18-17, 01:04 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

This car has been a bit neglected for a while, while I´ve been busy with the Supras.
The car inspectors at the MOT have complained that it´s missing turn signals on the fenders, so I did something about it. Also painted the rims black.

Old 11-18-17, 01:09 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC300 rebuild (1jz , bmw 530d 5-speed)