Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

92 SC400 cleaning it up geewwddd

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 03:12 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

it's def not past fixing, my first guess would be timing belt but there's no point in spending a third of the worth of the car just to get it running and who knows maybe that won't even work. my buddy said he'd charge me 80 an hour and the timing belt kit (idler pulley, PS pump and a few other things) is like 200 bucks off of ebay. i looked into the work and it says anywhere from 6 to 8 hours and that's over 400 bucks.

i would do the work myself but i just don't have time. i got school every single day and work at night every other day. sorry guys but i'm just gonna pass on this, i love this car so much and i was just sitting in it holding the steering wheel for like a half hour lol. i'll get another SC some other time for sure, i love this freaking car but it's just not the time for me. i'll still lurk on here just no more build for me.
Old 08-13-14, 04:11 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

2JZGTE SWAP.....

Sorry to hear that man.....Hopefully it is something simple....

If you decide to part it out I will take some parts for sure...
Old 08-13-14, 10:53 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
2JZGTE SWAP.....

Sorry to hear that man.....Hopefully it is something simple....

If you decide to part it out I will take some parts for sure...
yea def parting it, gonna stick it in a storage place cz first month is a buck! try to get it parted out in a month. then it's going into scrap. friend has a huge saw that he loves cutting **** up with. unless someone will buy the shell
Old 08-14-14, 12:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
I went with the brakes this time. Today is a sad day though. Started the car to go to school and 10 seconds into running once i put it into drive it felt like it dropped a cylinder and started running really rough, so i turned it off, turned it back on, same thing.

Checked both coils, ran smoother on the passenger side one. So started taking it apart and the last plug all the way by the firewall had oil on it. So i got a bad spark plug gasket... Gonna take it out and clean it up once i get back from school, i think i had too much oil in the engine. It was 3/4 to full on the dip stick, didn't think it would be a problem because i had that much on the xB usually.

If that doesn't fix it, valve cover gaskets and spark gaskets and plugs. will get changed and then we'll see from there on.
You do know that the timing belt really hardly ever slips on this car, is there a reason you think its something that serious at first though? also before dismanteling the entire car it may be worth it to just turn the engine over to TDC and then you can actually see if its moved, which I can confidently say it probably did not. its pretty rock solid by design until the waterpump siezes or the timing belt itself gets thrown out the motor =) If you ever tried to compress the hydraulic tensionser that rides the timing belt you would know what I mean, it hardly moves with all your weight on it generally speaking. a 1uz has simple ignition issues or if it wont start at all maybe a fuel pump ecu, or an air leak, but generally speaking they all run well until they stop running. I think you should check the coils and the rotors, sounds like you already did plugs.

sounds like you just lost a coilpack if you smell unburnt fuel, happens all the time and I read here you were checking out the coilpacks and one runs smoother? likely you already found the problem. If you want to send it over here Ill take it and change the coilpack for you, it takes like 10 minutes
the rotors are a little trickier but I would change those out as well, no reason to destroy the car. I haven't seen anyone destroy a 92 1uz without a ton of NOS or a very large badly tuned supercharger, the 1992 is arguably the strongest version of the 1uz motor.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-14-14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 06:01 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

ok so a couple of my friends got me to take a second look at the car. i think the problem is the ignition coil. specifically the passenger side one which is weird cz its usually the driver side one cz its so close to the engine.

here's what they look like
it's the thing right at the bottom left, little box with 4 screws and 3 wires attached to it

not my bay btw, phones dead so couldn't get the pictures onto the comp right now.

so i unplugged the driver side one and the car wouldn't turn over or start, which is pretty good indication that the passenger one doesn't work, and they seem to be a common problem. the problem is though, one of the screws on the passenger side one is stuck and i can't get the passenger one off to unplug and check if the other side works.

i'm leaving for the weekend tomorrow and when i come back i'll go to the junk yard and grab some ignition coils from a 400 they have there with a smashed front end. there's still hope!!!! i feel really stupid and bad for just giving up on it like that. my bad guys.

gonna get it running and the mods will continue, starting with the new DBA rotors!
Old 08-14-14, 06:43 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

.......Glad to hear it was a simple fix....didnt want to see a fellow 4K9 drop of the grid...
Old 08-14-14, 09:26 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
I'm considering buying a for sale 92 Sc4 but things like this scare me. How can I inspect and evaluate the condition of a 92 Sc4 and determine it's state of engine-related maintenance and also to gather some foresight into future knickknack or serious repairs? Anyone?
it's all just chance, this happens to anything, luckily it's not engine related, it's just a little electrical piece of crap that causes an awful problem. this is why communities are great, if it wasn't for friends and fellow car guys i would have scrapped the car and had it over with. this still isn't confirmed but by monday i'll have an answer for sure.
Old 08-18-14, 07:23 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

she RUNS! Scindy's back on the road and better than ever!

it was the driver ignition coil, changed it but ran into some trouble. the plug on the high tension cable just crumbled in my fingers so i electrical taped it up until i get a new plug or just leave it if i don't have any problems. also the screw holding the coil bracket to the engine, that broke while i was taking it off, the 2nd big screw on the right holding the bracket wasn't there at all. so i'll try to find one tmr to fill that spot because the bracket is just ziptied to another thing close by.

ALSO THE NEW ROTORS ARE IN! will put these on this weekend, and from there on i'll take a little break, need to save up for loans

once i got the money it's gonna be headers and exhaust, and manual swap! that's probably next summer. for now it's all cosmetic and cheap little things.

about the brake rotors, you can see the kangaroo paw pattern vanes in there, signature DBA stuff
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC400 cleaning it up geewwddd-dsc_1297.jpg   92 SC400 cleaning it up geewwddd-dsc_1298.jpg   92 SC400 cleaning it up geewwddd-dsc_1296.jpg  
Old 08-23-14, 11:07 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

more troubles
got it figured out though.
installed the rotors today, was gonna go for a test drive, put the brakes down and bam, to the floor...
so checked all the brakes for leaks and brake fluid and what do you know. the passenger caliper was gushing with brake fluid. took the wheel off and a crack around the entire bleeder valve was pouring brake fluid out. FREAK OUT!!! then start calling every parts store in the area and finally found one half an hour away that had a caliper for sale, so took my dad's car and went and picked it up. so i was late to work because i was installing the new brake and it started pouring while i was putting the wheels back on. while the brake was leaking it lost a lot of brake fluid, just above minimum, so i drove to autozone and got some more fluid and asked the guys to pump the brakes for me while i bled the new caliper cz it was squishy beyond belief. well that's today and hopefully the last bad thing with the car. at least i got a new caliper lol.

car brakes awesome now! the bite on these rotors is amazing! it braked so hard my front bumper hit the ground, but didn't lock up! brakes finally feel great, but i gotta paint this new caliper cz it's got all the packaging and a crooked "Supra" emblem on it
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC400 cleaning it up geewwddd-dsc_1308.jpg   92 SC400 cleaning it up geewwddd-dsc_1311.jpg  
Old 08-24-14, 07:25 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So glad you didn't write her off yet! thanks, and while some times we get frustrated with our "girls" don't give up...she's loyal! lol Great work with the brake calipers...could you pm me more info on the DBA brakes? I don't want to clutter you thread w/ questions? thx

steve
Old 08-25-14, 10:12 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
So glad you didn't write her off yet! thanks, and while some times we get frustrated with our "girls" don't give up...she's loyal! lol Great work with the brake calipers...could you pm me more info on the DBA brakes? I don't want to clutter you thread w/ questions? thx

steve
PMed you

getting the old rotors resurfaced at oreillys tmr, 15 bucks a pop not bad, and new front and rear brake pads, maybe just front for now
Old 08-26-14, 07:46 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Looks good man....I would just get new pads all around.....

Both of our 4K9's are going through brake overhaul...
Old 08-26-14, 09:05 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Looks good man....I would just get new pads all around.....

Both of our 4K9's are going through brake overhaul...
yea lol, after this will be all cosmetics and cheap ricer stuff lol. i got a little more body work to do than yours. was sanding the front bumper a little, realized it's been repainted, really badly. paint is chipping and there's gray primer underneath, which isn't factory at all. oh well everything will be repainted or something idk. we'll see, i really hate the sandstone beige color though lol. i have no idea how you stand it, i just wanna plastidip mine already.
Old 08-27-14, 10:07 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldManTan
yea lol, after this will be all cosmetics and cheap ricer stuff lol. i got a little more body work to do than yours. was sanding the front bumper a little, realized it's been repainted, really badly. paint is chipping and there's gray primer underneath, which isn't factory at all. oh well everything will be repainted or something idk. we'll see, i really hate the sandstone beige color though lol. i have no idea how you stand it, i just wanna plastidip mine already.
Color of car doesnt really matter to me not concerned with paint/body.......Im all performance oriented
Old 08-27-14, 02:20 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad you changed your mind, keep it up. You've made a lot of progress and done all the dirty work already, body work is the worst!

Quick Reply: 92 SC400 cleaning it up geewwddd