Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 06:28 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caniac14
Sweet. I've bookmarked that on my phone for when I go about doing that. So for your pilot hole, did you go from under the fender? I can visible see the small places where the UCA is hitting the top. So I figured you just drill in the middle of that location for the pilot hole right?
Correct, somehow my stock height suspension smacked the underbody a couple times in its life so I had marks where the UBJ hit

I just drilled a pilot in the middle of the mark from underneath the car and used that as a guide for the holesaw from the top. One side is spot on and the other is off, not enough to really make a huge difference if they both hit but enough to annoy me.
Old 05-27-14, 11:43 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

as for the rear droop, you sure you have the correct BC coils? i have 90-94 coils on my 97 and they are much shorter. ignore the air bags but here is my comparison picture.

see top right coilover, that is the rear which looks much shorter than yours, and that is not even all the way down!

and another one (though i did extend it another 2" since this was too low even at full pressure).
Old 05-27-14, 03:05 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
as for the rear droop, you sure you have the correct BC coils? i have 90-94 coils on my 97 and they are much shorter. ignore the air bags but here is my comparison picture.]
I mean they should've been the correct coils, they had the correct info on the sticker on the side of them on the lower mount

At SOWO I talked to the guy at the BC Racing tent and he told me that I could buy the extended drop shock cartridges and that should fix the issue. I plan on doing that whenever they blow but so far they've been riding fine, we'll see I guess. Kinda annoyed by it but whatever
Old 05-27-14, 03:40 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man i need those bag sleeves...
Old 05-27-14, 04:01 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Big update time!

Picked the car up with the new exhaust and could not be happier, its tucked up nice and high and sounds incredible with the Borla. I've never been disappointed by Borla and will continue to buy their products.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-oyofhvwl.jpg

Here's a pic of the modified cats and where they hang at now

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-n2jhgbrl.jpg

The next day after work I started on the front and continued onto Saturday working on the rear of the car. Theres a story of an hour long freak out when I realized I drove off the night before to test the front fitment with the OEM wheel lock still on a rear lugnut and having to take the lug nuts off sans lock but we'll leave that for later

After adjusting the rear camber and toe I lowered the car down for the first test to see if it would be able to get out of my garage. I was pessimistic but my roommate amped me up and off we went!

Backing out slowly...

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-xymluril.jpg

Then a moment of PURE JOY when I got it out with much less scrubbing than I anticipated!!!

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-iybxzcul.jpg

Don't get me wrong it scrubs backing out, I can see bits of undercoating on the garage floor and it doesn't make the best noises but hey, #staticlyfe

Needless to say driving the car for the first time complete put the biggest smile on my face. All the frustration and setbacks since March completely disappeared in the boom of that Borla. The rear was scrubbing some so back in the garage it went to raise the rear about 8mm and max out the camber in the front.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-eib7of6l.jpg

Yesterday on the highway coming from a friends cookout I even had a guy ask me if I'd sell it!

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-mbofjvcl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-twiofdel.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-ytpg6cdl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-4kqpzf6l.jpg

Put plenty of miles on over the weekend seeing if any issues would arise, the exhaust rattles some when the idle is really low at a stoplight so thats something I need to look into. Also not sure if you can tell or not but the front fitment is pretty bad, I need to get a bigger tire on there. I can't lower it anymore and still be drivable so this weekend I may head to the tire shop and figure out a 40 series size to throw on there to fill in some of that gap.

Also I promise to get better pics of it not in my driveway
Old 05-27-14, 06:21 PM
timmy0tool

i'm sure you can go lower in the front! what is getting in your way? you already drilled the towers open.
Old 05-28-14, 05:26 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

i'm sure you can go lower in the front! what is getting in your way? you already drilled the towers open.
Nothing is getting in the way of going lower in the front, I did have it lower which looked AMAZING

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-wm7ffkil.jpg

Name:  M6Jl2hal.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  35.0 KB

The issue is:

A) I won't be able to get it out of my garage/driveway
B) I'd probably bust an oilpan 10 min down the road

I have a design for a skidplate in my head that I hope to make real soon but I think going 40 series up front will both raise the clearance in the front and fill in the fender gap more. Originally I was going to do that but decided to run what came with the wheels (only the fronts had tires) to save money.
Old 06-01-14, 01:02 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Decided to pull the trigger on some bigger tires in the front

Waiting in line to get the tires put on

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-pee35jtl.jpg

Went with 235/40 Nankang NS20, not super happy with the way they stretched. I didn't think it'd stay so bulbous. Went with a 235 since Nankangs are known to run small, whenever these wear out I'll prob try to get a 225 tire that runs true on there

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-uuptbxal.jpg

On the rack finally getting an alignment, got the rears at 6.5 deg and the fronts at 3.2. Passenger front is still at 1.4, bushing in the lower control arm must be trashed cause the alignment guy couldn't get the camber bolt to do anything. Probably buy a used lower control arm and throw it on there.

Turned out to be a longer day than anticipated so I had to stop on the way home to grab some grub.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-h1s48qul.jpg

Happy for the most part but definitely need to get that new lower control arm on, passenger side scrubs constantly. Would really like to get a set of NRCA's so I can be 6 deg all around and drop the front some, not sure I can afford it though since the only ones available so far are crazy expensive.
Old 06-09-14, 07:40 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Decided to debadge my grill using chrome door trim

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-jhb950il.jpg

I also cut out the circle where the emblem use to sit for a cleaner look. Heres a pic of the backside where I reapplied the adhesive backing over the hole, doubt it'll do anything except make me feel better about it haha. I may also get some plastic rod from the hobby store and reinforce that center section, as it is now you can push in the chrome a good bit with your finger esp that middle one

Name:  9L5sF9nl.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  49.6 KB

Now I can't decide if I wanna keep it chrome or black out the horizontal slats

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-0qjtjaml.jpg

Attachment 497260

Anyone else have issues with the rubber that runs along the side of the grill? Since I took my grill off I can't seem to get it back in the ridge and stay there, esp on the drivers side.
Old 06-09-14, 11:55 AM
timmy0tool

^ love the badge-less grill look! the rubber should have clips to hold it on the ridge eh?
Old 06-10-14, 05:51 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

^ love the badge-less grill look! the rubber should have clips to hold it on the ridge eh?
Thanks man!

I didn't see any clips, when I unscrewed the grill the rubber was the only thing holding it to the hood and I just sorta ripped it out. I'm thinkin it was possibly glued in? I dunno to be honest, in the thread I got this idea from no one mentions anything about it I may just run to the dealer and get some new rubber or try to glue the rubber back in.
Old 06-10-14, 07:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Did you just take the emblem out?
Old 06-11-14, 08:38 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
Did you just take the emblem out?
You could do that and not cut out where it was but I did it so it wouldn't be seen, up to you especially if you think you'll ever go back to running the emblem
Old 06-12-14, 03:45 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why didn't you go with two Borlas on your new setup vice just the one?
Old 06-13-14, 06:44 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Why didn't you go with two Borlas on your new setup vice just the one?
I did it for the cost (extra muffler and piping) and eventually I want to get some blast pipes or somethin crazy and I think it just looks better on one side than with both

Quick Reply: First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build