Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

GS400 2JZGTE Build in the Mitten State

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 03:53 PM
kraven9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed your 240 build on zilvia intensely. GL with everything.
Old 03-17-14, 07:53 AM
mexikan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i like where this going.... good luck on your build...
Old 03-17-14, 08:35 AM
solaradude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kraven9
I followed your 240 build on zilvia intensely. GL with everything.
Dang nice, thanks man!

Originally Posted by mexikan
i like where this going.... good luck on your build...
Thank you!

Not a ton of progress this weekend. Removed the hood, pulled the fender liners, and removed the front bumper. Bumper, headlights, and hood are all in kind of rough shape. It's hard to ignore that stuff, but I just have to tell myself it will all be addressed in due time. I also removed the bumper crash beam to make room for the intercooler.

I sourced some other interior pieces I need for the black interior swap as well. Spending a lot of time doing my research, deciding which pieces I want to go with, and getting them ordered at the moment. Should be a lot of goodies arriving this week including the engine, so stay tuned!
Old 03-17-14, 11:35 PM
tdciv
Driver

im liking where this build is going
Old 03-18-14, 07:13 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

nice work you got going man. congrats on the baby girls. i have 2 myself. just missing the Gold GS now! LOL!

you planning to upgrade the turbos later?
Old 03-18-14, 10:53 AM
solaradude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tdciv
im liking where this build is going
Thanks, I hope it gets there and doesn't fall by the wayside haha. I'm feeling pretty motivated to get as much as I can done in the next couple of weeks before baby arrives though! I'm sure I will change my tune when I am sleep deprived, lol.

Originally Posted by Answer300
nice work you got going man. congrats on the baby girls. i have 2 myself. just missing the Gold GS now! LOL!

you planning to upgrade the turbos later?
Very cool! Kids are a blast, as crazy as they can be. I'd love to upgrade the turbos down the road for sure. I've really been debating doing it all at once to avoid more fabrication work later, but I am not sure I'll have the funds. I want to be sure the car runs and drives first and then go from there. I'm really excited for exterior and suspension mods as well, so it'd be nice to take care of some of that stuff as well.

Made a little bit of progress last night and over the weekend. My Toyota 1JZ R154 bell housing arrived yesterday:

One more photo of the clutch:

I removed the front bumper, crash beam, core support, A/C condenser, and headlights to make myself some room to work. The headlights and bumper are in pretty rough shape. I'll have to address that stuff later, but the priority is getting the car running for now.

I also worked a bit more on taking the interior apart. I'm hoping to have the dash removed soon to free up some more space for the clutch pedal and master cylinder install.

I picked up a package with most of the black interior swap from Greyhound on the way to work this morning. Still waiting on the headliner, door panels, and some other miscellaneous items I need to convert it all to black interior. Still a couple items I need to track down, but no big rush there.

My engine should be delivered today, so I'll have pics of that soon! My garage is going to be a mess. lol
Old 03-19-14, 10:40 AM
solaradude
Driver School Candidate

Pretty fun day yesterday. Here's what went down...

I stopped at the post office on the way home to pick up my Aristo Hyper Rev for some inspiration:

When I got home, I saw that my MAF sensor arrived for the swap. The engine I bought didn't include one, so I grabbed one from eBay. Would love to ditch this someday, but it'll have to do for now:

Just after I unloaded the black interior and opened my mail, the truck arrived to deliver my engine:

Someone came over and bought the 1UZFE to make a coffee table with, so I was glad to have this stuff out of my garage:

After the engine excitement was over, I spent some more time unpacking the black interior components and removing all of the tan items from the car. I'm happy to report that the interior is almost completely stripped. I have the dash, carpeting, door panels (on the way), rear trim, and A and C pillars for the conversion, but I still need to source front and rear seats, a couple missing seat belts, and a steering wheel to really complete it. At least I'll be able to get started on it and collect the remaining items as I go.

My garage is in shambles at the moment. Hopefully I will have some time to get this cleaned up soon so that I can put my wife's car back in the garage, lol.

If anyone has a black rear seat for sale, please let me know!
Old 03-19-14, 02:15 PM
CHASER4LIF
Driver

****kkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-14, 03:55 PM
jm520
Driver School Candidate

...And you said it was gonna be a "slow build." Looks like it's coming along pretty damn quick! Thanks for another promising/entertaining build
Old 03-19-14, 04:23 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Wow nice build! This looks like Christmas in March just unwrapping present after present lol. GL with your new project and congrats on the baby .
Old 03-21-14, 01:09 PM
solaradude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CHASER4LIF
****kkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol!

Originally Posted by jm520
...And you said it was gonna be a "slow build." Looks like it's coming along pretty damn quick! Thanks for another promising/entertaining build
Thanks! It's moving along at the moment while I have the cash from the parts I sold off of my Evo. After the basics are all here and my baby is born, I am sure it'll slow a good amount. But I am hoping I can continue to make progress, even if it isn't at such an extreme pace.

Originally Posted by puff
Wow nice build! This looks like Christmas in March just unwrapping present after present lol. GL with your new project and congrats on the baby .
Thanks man, appreciate that! It's been a blast coming home from work every day, that's for sure haha. Love your car!

I’ve made a decent amount of progress on the car this week. I don’t typically have this much time to spend in the garage, but everything has been falling into place and I’ve been sacrificing some sleep in order to wrench on the car.

I finished removing the complete interior from the car. Last night I pulled the emergency brake assembly from the driver’s footwell area since I will instead need to install a clutch pedal there. I’m not sure how I will address the e-brake just yet, but I’ll have to come up with something custom to allow it to still work.

My black door panels arrived yesterday and are in great shape. I was planning to install those last night, but the wood grain trim is bothering me. I’m going to drop the trim off at the body shop to have it sprayed gloss black.

Here’s the interior as it sits currently. I’m still waiting on a number of items to arrive next week, as well as some SEM black interior paint that my friend Toby hooked me up with. It will probably be a little while before I can put it all back together since I want to have the dash out of the way for the clutch pedal/master cylinder install.

The car is equipped with some sort of aftermarket security system that doesn’t appear to be installed all that well. I didn’t get a key fob or anything with the car, so my plan is to remove all of it. It looks like a bunch of aftermarket audio stuff was wired in at some point too, but some of it was already hacked into when I got the car. I’m planning to eliminate that stuff as well. Audio stuff is always pretty low on my radar. While I enjoy having music to listen to in the car, I’ll worry about that later.

Here you can see the area where the emergency brake has been removed and where the clutch pedal will reside, as well as the rat’s nest of security wiring that needs to be taken out and disposed of:

Assembly removed from the car:

After doing some interior work last night, I removed the automatic transmission from the engine. I still need to pull the torque converter, but this is my first time messing with an auto transmission. I’m not exactly sure what I am doing, but I’ll figure it out:

I also had a chance to remove the old pressure plate and bellhousing from the R154 transmission. This thing will need a good amount of TLC before it is ready to be installed, in addition to a shifter extensions to line up with the hole in the car’s interior:

I ordered a number of items for assembling and installing the drivetrain from Drift Motion, so those should be here by the middle of next week. That includes the Supra clutch pedal, master, slave, and clutch line. My hope is to work on finding a way to get that stuff into the car shortly after it arrives.
Old 03-21-14, 02:36 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

What you gonna do with the auto tranny?
Old 03-21-14, 06:25 PM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

WOw I'm falling in love with this..keep us posted!
Old 03-22-14, 03:19 PM
solaradude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by japspec
What you gonna do with the auto tranny?
I'm going to try to sell it if I can. Shoot me a PM if you might be interested!

Originally Posted by J$mooth23
WOw I'm falling in love with this..keep us posted!
Thanks, will do!
Old 03-22-14, 11:12 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by solaradude
I'm going to try to sell it if I can. Shoot me a PM if you might be interested!

Thanks, will do!
oh and your tan front door panels also.

Quick Reply: GS400 2JZGTE Build in the Mitten State