Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Tryna ball on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 01:36 AM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tryna ball on a budget

What's up CL. My name is Coby. For two reasons I will never forget the day I took my red 98 SC 300 home. First, It is my first car. I did have a 300zx but that was a hand-me-down from my brother. It was a loud (he took the muffler off), underpowered, rattly, Incredibly fun, POS. Fun, of course, until everything under the hood started leaking Immediately after it was handed to me. It served me well for about three months, now, it is in my local junk yard. Secondly, It was the day of the massive celeb iCloud (should have used Onedrive) leak AKA the Fappening.
Back to the SC. As soon as I got home, I jumped on this forum to check how much silver emblems were. As a die hard Oakland Raiders fan I could not drive a red and gold car. I found a post for polishing the gold off and I am now the proud owner of silver emblems. I wanted to keep some of the OG elements in the car so I Modded the car phone to be a cell phone holder. Next, I upgraded the headunit using another post from here and Black Friday deals from Amazon. I installed MB Quart OSC216's in the doors and RKM116's will be installed when I buy the shallow mount MB RLP304 12" sub and OA1100.5 AMP. The sub and the rkm's will be in a fiberglass rear deck lid. I choose MB Quart because I looked around and saw that they are a respected brand, are in my price range, and the rear deck speaker and sub will be exposed and my OCD won't allow the sub to be a different brand. For the doors, I fell in love with the setup Impact did ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-rebuild.html ). Also, I plan on adding LED strip lights to flash with the bass and a switch so it won't be annoying.
At the top of my to do list is fixing my whining power steering pump. After that, I plan on updating this thread with my build but don't expect weekly updates as I am college student with a part time job hints the title. I know there are some very smart people on here and I hope some of you can help me out with some Ideas. Anyway, that's enough of me talking, I already tuned myself out, here are some pics of my 98 SC 300 AKA Chica Halcón.

Old 01-14-15, 03:40 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Welcome to Clublexus and Good Luck with your project !
Old 01-14-15, 08:59 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As Gerrb said, Welcome to CL. Clean looking SC, very nice find! It's great that you're going to fix your PS first. Any more information on your "whining" power steering condition. Is it all the time, just during start up, or when turning etc? I only ask this, because we have some really knowledgeable folks here that may be able to help you fix your problem? Next, we understand your time constraints with being a college student. Update us whenever you can, we'll still be here. More importantly, right now, keep the focus on your Education, and budget accordingly for your SC. In the mean time, or when you have some free time and you're browsing Club Lexus check out the SC300/400 Mega thread for all of us D.I.Y. folks.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html

steve
Old 01-16-15, 12:38 AM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
As Gerrb said, Welcome to CL. Clean looking SC, very nice find! It's great that you're going to fix your PS first. Any more information on your "whining" power steering condition. Is it all the time, just during start up, or when turning etc? I only ask this, because we have some really knowledgeable folks here that may be able to help you fix your problem? Next, we understand your time constraints with being a college student. Update us whenever you can, we'll still be here. More importantly, right now, keep the focus on your Education, and budget accordingly for your SC. In the mean time, or when you have some free time and you're browsing Club Lexus check out the SC300/400 Mega thread for all of us D.I.Y. folks.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html

steve
It whines loudly on start up. When I put it in gear it quiets down but the whine comes back during low speed turns.

I went down to the junk yard to get LS door handles for the mod. Saw my old ZX gutted and had a moment.

While the door off, I switched out the door bulbs for LED strip lights.

Before:

After:

Old 01-20-15, 04:34 PM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

PS whine has been fixed. Thanks to lilSCsteve for telling me to flush and bleed the PS fluid. I had no idea how bad the problem was until it was fixed. Now the steering is quiet and completely smooth.

I finished the speaker rings for the doors and deck lid. The plan is to seal the LED strip lights with silicone after I finish fiberglassing.

Old 01-21-15, 04:04 AM
lilSCsteve

^^^Hey man glad I could help, I only sent you the details in PM because I didn't want to clutter your thread. It's all good, I've helped a lot of folks through PMs. Nice work with the LEDs, can't wait to see what's next?

steve
Old 02-11-15, 12:44 AM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

I started fiberglassing my door panel. I started with trying to glass the whole armrest portion of the panel but that seemed like a waste of material. I decided to do a small portion of it.

Test Fit

Part of the door was too big so I cut that part out and body filled to make a better transition.

I used U-seal to sound deaden.

Old 02-11-15, 04:47 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CL looking forward to the build
Old 02-12-15, 08:14 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet build thread, plz update!
Old 02-12-15, 05:06 PM
lilSCsteve

Looking forward to the completion of the door panels. Depends on how urs look, I may decide to do something similar?
Old 02-16-15, 06:39 PM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Finished the passenger door for now. Note to self: Test fit BEFORE wrapping in vinyl.

You can see what I have planned for the tweeter in this pic

In the future I'll upgrade to higher quality vinyl but for now, Passenger side Done. Now, on to the Drivers side
Old 02-16-15, 07:49 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Nice job on the door panel. I wish I had the patience to do that kind of work when I installed my system. I had to settle for a small shallow speaker to clear the door panel and window.
Old 02-17-15, 03:09 AM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Nice job on the door panel. I wish I had the patience to do that kind of work when I installed my system. I had to settle for a small shallow speaker to clear the door panel and window.
For me, all it took was money and about 12 episode of the How Did This Get Made podcast
Old 04-02-15, 12:53 AM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Been a while since my last update. School, work, money, everything is trying to stop me from finishing the doors. I did modify my plans a bit. Mainly, I reupholstered with better vinyl. I also moved the lights from around the speakers to under the armrest.

Modded the speaker grill to hold the tweeter.
(Hint to my next project)

Old 04-24-15, 02:16 AM
DatMoFo
Driver School Candidate

Just moved in to my new place. After settling in, I decided to finish my drivers side door. I pulled the panel off and made a few changes from the passenger side.

I knew exactly where to fiberglass this time.

Trying to re-vinyl the inside pocket was a nightmare on the first panel so I made it a bit easier by straightening the edges.

I made a better transition from panel to speaker.

And finished with some quality vinyl.

Not flawless but good enough.

Quick Reply: Tryna ball on a budget