Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS460 owner vehicles

Tony Tang's USF41 Executive Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 06:52 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Awesome ride man looks great! Someday I'll be on the hunt for a 460L when there isn't any more Ls400s on the road anymore. LOVE the executive seating package. I can imagine you had a tough time finding one with that option. Not too many were made or are made now even like that cause it's a crazy expensive option. I work as a salesman at a lexus dealership and I've seen a little bit of everything and I've yet to see one new or used show up with that package, so I know that in oh, 10 or so years when I begin my hunt for a 460L I'll be lucky to find one with the executive seating package at all, in any condition. Looking forward to seeing what you do to it next!
Old 03-13-14, 07:47 PM
tonytangsj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video link doesn't work. Hm, does anyone know how to imbed IG videos?

http://instagram.com/p/jmsawvgB7W/

Last edited by tonytangsj; 04-10-14 at 09:07 AM. Reason: uploaded video to youtube
Old 03-14-14, 02:57 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tonytangsj
Video link doesn't work. Hm, does anyone know how to imbed IG videos?

http://instagram.com/p/jmsawvgB7W/
Not sure how to imbed IG videos, but just watched that one and wow that exhaust sounds pretty good. Nice job.
Old 03-14-14, 03:10 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love these cars so much! hope they prove to be just as much of tanks as the OG's over time =]
Old 03-17-14, 10:45 AM
tonytangsj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stereorob
Awesome ride man looks great! Someday I'll be on the hunt for a 460L when there isn't any more Ls400s on the road anymore. LOVE the executive seating package. I can imagine you had a tough time finding one with that option. Not too many were made or are made now even like that cause it's a crazy expensive option. I work as a salesman at a lexus dealership and I've seen a little bit of everything and I've yet to see one new or used show up with that package, so I know that in oh, 10 or so years when I begin my hunt for a 460L I'll be lucky to find one with the executive seating package at all, in any condition. Looking forward to seeing what you do to it next!
Stereorob, I think you're absolutely right. The 460L's and 600hL's with executive seating are hard to come by so they'll definitely be harder to find in the future. They'll probably command a premium too. I got lucky with my LS.. so far, have no regrets on the purchase.

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Not sure how to imbed IG videos, but just watched that one and wow that exhaust sounds pretty good. Nice job.
brianlin87, thanks! I'll figure out a better way to post videos. I'll post more info and videos soon with the exhaust.

Originally Posted by OKSTANCE
i love these cars so much! hope they prove to be just as much of tanks as the OG's over time =]
OKSTANCE, I think they'll be ok as long as you keep up with regular maintenance. During my search I didn't see many over 200k miles so we'll see.
Old 03-17-14, 10:50 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn, i love the sound of that exhaust.
Old 03-17-14, 05:18 PM
tonytangsj
Rookie

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
damn, i love the sound of that exhaust.
I love with the way it sounds too, now after I fixed the droning issue
Old 03-17-14, 06:17 PM
tonytangsj
Rookie

After I got my custom exhaust done I drove it around for a bit and immediately noticed some exhaust drone at around 1500rpm to 2000rpm. It sounded great at all other RPMs and WOT. But the drone was quite loud and to be honest, quite annoying.

I researched on ways to get rid of the drone and found a solution called the "Helmholtz resonance" pipes. Some math genius figured it out, so I can't take any credit. But, basically you add some side pipes that are capped off at the end and sound travels through them and bounces back at a certain frequency and cancels out the drone.

Here's a technical explanation to it if you're curious: http://www.rexresearch.com/helmholtz...resonators.htm

The length of the capped off pipes matter depending on the RPM range of the exhaust drone you want to cancel out. So here's a chart to figure out how long the pipe needs to be:

Since I wanted to get rid of the drone from 1500 to 2000rpm, I took average of the ranges I wanted to cancel out and the length of the pipe came out to roughly to 29.5".

I went to my exhaust guy and told him what I needed and he got it done.

After the resonance pipes were installed, I drove off and immediately noticed the drone was basically gone. No more drone! Let's just say, I fell in love with the LS again. Keep in mind, the resonance pipes have no effect on the exhaust sound, just the drone. So it still sounded the same at WOT. Awesome.

Here is a sound clip of the final results:

Next up, wheels!

Last edited by tonytangsj; 04-10-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 07:15 PM
96zenki
Driver

that sounds really sick.. i think i'm going to have to go with something like that in the near future.
can you break down the pricing of your custom exhaust? i know there are several companies out there and this could be a cheaper alternative.
also if you ever get a chance , can you post a video to capture the cabin sound?
thanks and keep up the progress!
Old 03-17-14, 07:36 PM
tonytangsj
Rookie

Originally Posted by 96zenki
that sounds really sick.. i think i'm going to have to go with something like that in the near future.
can you break down the pricing of your custom exhaust? i know there are several companies out there and this could be a cheaper alternative.
also if you ever get a chance , can you post a video to capture the cabin sound?
thanks and keep up the progress!
96zenki, all said and done around $500-600+. Custom exhaust was $500ish and the resonance pipes added another $80. I decided to go custom because of the cost and I didn't really find any aftermarket exhaust on the market that I liked. I had good results on my Infiniti M45 and the magnaflow mufflers so I went that route instead.

I'll try and get an in-cabin and fly-by soundclip when I get a chance.

Tony
Old 03-18-14, 05:57 AM
dbow2000
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony, would you mind posting your current wheel specs? Thanks.
Old 03-18-14, 10:37 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can vouch for this setup. Tony took me for ride yesterday and inside the cabin, it was really quiet. Outside, as he was driving off, it has a deep throttle sound. I am shock that by adding additional pipe, it eliminated the droning. Definitely doing this to mine.
Old 03-18-14, 11:05 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I think at least one of the JDM exhausts (Suruga speed) also incorporates this extra piping in their design. From what I recall, they have extra piping in a loop fashion in the area of the muffler body, and their mufflers are more like large cylinders/resonator type.
Old 03-18-14, 01:51 PM
tonytangsj
Rookie

Originally Posted by dbow2000
Tony, would you mind posting your current wheel specs? Thanks.
I don't have the specs, since they came with the car. I even tried looking on the back of the face and barrel. No markings. I'm not even sure what brand they are. But based on tire size and eyeballing, I'd guess 20x10 20x9 in the mid 30's offset.
Old 03-18-14, 06:44 PM
tonytangsj
Rookie

I got some in cabin and launch flyby clips of the exhaust.

In cabin clip with windows up (quiet):

In cabin clip with windows down (still pretty quiet from the inside):

Outside clip:

Tony

Last edited by tonytangsj; 04-10-14 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (04-15-17)

Quick Reply: Tony Tang's USF41 Executive Build Thread