Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992 sc 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 12:49 PM
pacmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 sc 400

I have a stock SC400 1992 with 62k original miles on it. Perfect condition. So I figure I should sell it or wrench on it and make it scream. Don't know where to start or about how much it would cost, so I figured this would be the best place to find out/start.

Last edited by pacmonkey; 02-03-14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 01:05 PM
Slid3ways
Driver School Candidate

Damn thats low miles. It would all depend on your goals man. You wanna build for drift? Drag? Vip? A mix of all? But i would start with any minor misc problems and also research on here to get ideas maybe. Post pics man
Old 02-03-14, 07:42 PM
pacmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slid3ways
Damn thats low miles. It would all depend on your goals man. You wanna build for drift? Drag? Vip? A mix of all? But i would start with any minor misc problems and also research on here to get ideas maybe. Post pics man
not really any problems, interior is perfect, light scratch on side but over all pretty clean. I can past a pic. .. Don't know how though lol. I can text pics if someone gives me a number that's easier.
Old 02-03-14, 08:00 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i say swap in a gte
Old 02-03-14, 08:12 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that's some pretty low mileage. First, figure out if you really enjoy the car. If you're sort of like "man, this is a lead sled ghetto rocket", I'd suggest selling it. If your heart and soul is telling you that you want to own this car for life, then an ideal place to begin is power first. The car already looks decent in stock form. Don't spend crazy amounts of money on wheel fitment, $1,000 coilovers, body kits, etc.... go straight for power. You want to smile every time you mash on the gas pedal. So many people go backwards when working on projects including myself. I thought I had to make the car look good first. Sure, in a perfect world with lots of money and time, you can build a car with both aspects.

Go straight for power, get rid of that 1UZ asap and get a GE or GTE engine. Don't bother with the 1J, get the extra half a liter of displacement. Refurbish the seals, give it a new timing belt and waterpump, then get rid of the stock twins or install a single on the GE. Read about engine management and buy quality parts. You'll enjoy your life a lot more! Best of luck, hope you stick around.
Old 02-03-14, 08:17 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ true but he can keep the twins, get the twines modded later. best investment would swap in a v160/gte
Old 02-03-14, 09:38 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy that's some pretty advanced 'advise' to be giving a guy whose new the the SC platform or new to modding altogether. Let alone on a low mileage 400.
I say take it slow and do lots of reading on ClubLexus first. Read all the stickies and DIY's, take a look through picture and build threads to see what other people are doing with their SC's. That should give you and idea of what you want to do with yours, common issues you should expect, costs, the reality of the amount of work your undertaking for different projects, and how to get started.
Old 02-04-14, 05:13 AM
pacmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Wow... mind blown. That was a lot to take in.
Old 02-04-14, 07:15 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I jumped the gun because I've owned the car for (x4) four years and I wish I had learned from my mistakes. No one cares about how the SC looks anymore. They basically all look the same. Sure, different colors, different body kits, etc.

Make that damn thing fast as a bullet. You'll appreciate it a lot more in the long run when you're dusting a GTO or SRT bull$h1t by 1,000 car lengths on the highway
Old 02-04-14, 07:42 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Wow, that's some pretty low mileage. First, figure out if you really enjoy the car. If you're sort of like "man, this is a lead sled ghetto rocket", I'd suggest selling it. If your heart and soul is telling you that you want to own this car for life, then an ideal place to begin is power first. The car already looks decent in stock form. Don't spend crazy amounts of money on wheel fitment, $1,000 coilovers, body kits, etc.... go straight for power. You want to smile every time you mash on the gas pedal. So many people go backwards when working on projects including myself. I thought I had to make the car look good first. Sure, in a perfect world with lots of money and time, you can build a car with both aspects.

Go straight for power, get rid of that 1UZ asap and get a GE or GTE engine. Don't bother with the 1J, get the extra half a liter of displacement. Refurbish the seals, give it a new timing belt and waterpump, then get rid of the stock twins or install a single on the GE. Read about engine management and buy quality parts. You'll enjoy your life a lot more! Best of luck, hope you stick around.
Now you know that I have to step and say something in regards to the 1JZ. I love mine and I have never looked back. I have outrun several cars, even though this thing is so heavy. If this 1JZ ever lets go, I will go with the 2JZ bottom end and reuse my 1JZ head and all other goodies, if not destroyed or reusable. The choice is yours and how much money you want to invest in it. Good luck. IMO if I had a low mileage car like that, I would buy another and leave that one alone. Again JMO.
Old 02-04-14, 05:05 PM
pacmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Now you know that I have to step and say something in regards to the 1JZ. I love mine and I have never looked back. I have outrun several cars, even though this thing is so heavy. If this 1JZ ever lets go, I will go with the 2JZ bottom end and reuse my 1JZ head and all other goodies, if not destroyed or reusable. The choice is yours and how much money you want to invest in it. Good luck. IMO if I had a low mileage car like that, I would buy another and leave that one alone. Again JMO.
What would I do with it if I got a different one and just let this one sit. .. I am so stinking busy with work I don't have the time to put into it. Really is a beauty though.