Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Snail's Pace

Old 12-22-13, 07:57 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project Snail's Pace

Get it? Snail? Turbo? it'll take forever to do? har har. With that out of the way...

I've finally decided to resume my project from a couple years ago and build my car. Going to to do it in phases to ease the pain. Plus I don't really have a good place to work on it conveniently so I'll be using my buddy's garage or renting a workshop for a couple months for the major stuff. Build is on my 97 RSP. SC300. Already rides on CCWs and Tein coilovers.

Parts Acquired:
Precision 76mm w/ ported H race cover
Boost Logic GE NA-T manifold
Virtual Works GE NA-T intake
Titan fuel rail
Aristo TT ECU
Aristo TT auto trans core
Z06 brakes / brackets
TT rear brakes
CXRacing 3" IC piping
CXRacing coolant overflow can
RMR 90mm throttle body
Tial F46 wastegate
3" stainless downpipe
aem dryflow filter
CXRacing 31" x 4" intercooler
48lb EV6 injectors
PHR deluxe slim fit power steering relocate kit
COP conversion parts
Sequoia 150amp alt
Popformance LXCC climate control
Fuelab FPR
Synapse BOV
GTE valve covers

Pre build phase
BBK. Brakes are gone, not going to replace stock with stock so might as well put the BBK on. gotta stop before you go fast.

12/26/13 - Brackets are on order as are the calipers. They're hard to come by at a reasonable price but hopefully have them on my door mid January then off to powder coater. ISF rotors ordered. Going to run stock rears for now until the best course of action is determined. Probably just go TT Supra but sure would be nice to match the fronts.

1/14/14 - Brackets landed, rotors landed, calipers scheduled for delivery tomorrow, pads & pins later this week. Hopefully have it installed this weekend.

1/28 - found deal on some TT rears so postponing brake install until they're here and painted to match. Also ordered new master cylinder.

2/24 - brakes installed. Need a replacement line due to defect in flare.

3/1 - copper insert provided that sealed up defective line. rebled, brakes feel much better. Still need a power bleed I think.

Phase 1 - low boost
Aristo JDM TT ECU with IS3 vvti coils
install turbo and related bits
injectors 500's to match TT ECU
DP to stock exhaust, rip out cats (no insp, FL FTW)
Sequoia alternator upgrade
goal is 300whp to keep transmission intact.
Concerns are turbo and everything sized too large to work at such low power levels.

phase 2 - Medium boost
built 4L80e transmission
fuel system full replacement, walbro 450lph pump, PTFE lines, E85 compatible
1200 or 1600cc injectors
some sort of piggy back on TT ECU
TRD LSD install
goal is 5-600 rwhp on pump gas

Phase 3 - full build
ProEFI
ID2000 injectors
Flexfuel to run E85
Rods & pistons, possibly switch to VVTI block and head
goal is 1k+ rwhp

Misc
Get rims chromed. I HATE HATE HATE polished aluminum
get HIDs installed
fiberglass in woofer enclosure (after fuel system is figured out)
finish interior black conversion
EDFC controller for coilovers
dildomatic to gated shifter conversion
suede headliner

I'll get pictures at some point but do take note, the project is called snail's pace and that's exactly how quickly i'll be moving. Mostly organizing my thoughts and soliciting feedback on some of my ideas.

Cheers
Chris

Edit log:
12/26 - added brake details
12/31 - decided on phase 1 ECU solution, added details.
1/14 - brake update
1/28 - brake update 2
3/1 - final brake update
3/14 - parts update
4/23 - parts update
5/13/14 - parts update / pic updates and rented workspace
5/25/15 - Been a year since I updated the summary post. It runs as of the 24th. Plans changed a little but mostly the same.

Last edited by SCereal; 05-25-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-22-13, 08:13 PM
IanWatson
Pole Position

work faster I want pics!! , sounds decent !
Old 01-02-14, 04:51 PM
2jz610
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics???
Old 01-03-14, 01:14 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You beat me to it. Let see the car before the modifications are started.
Old 01-03-14, 01:35 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have similar goals and a similar pace. I've been collecting parts since early summer. Best of luck, l look forward to checking this thread out from time to time.
Old 01-03-14, 02:18 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics or nothing ever happened.... lol jk good luck with your build!
Old 01-03-14, 02:41 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We want pics, we want pics, we want pics! lol...

steve
Old 01-03-14, 06:16 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Pics...!!!!
Old 01-14-14, 11:55 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Weather permitting I think this weekend will be the first for pics and I will actually have all my parts landed to get the brakes sorted. I plan to do a write up on the install to document everything.

Outstanding issues that I need to research now for down the road are mostly trans related. There seems to be little information on swapping a GTE auto in place of an NA auto. I'm going to take some pics of my trans connectors and go to Toyota dealer and see if I can source the connectors I'll need reasonably. Then I have to figure out how the F to wire it into the SC300 harness and to the ECU. fortunately I have plenty of time to figure it out before I can get the trans built.
Old 01-16-14, 03:34 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Default PreBuild - BBK

Ok so my calipers finally made it in after a long arduous wait on some remans from summit that never materialized to just dropping the cash for new ones from a dealer. The yellow probably wouldn't have looked too bad against my RSP but I ordered a couple spray bomb cans of RSP and decided I wanted matched calipers.

Here they fresh out of the box and VERY yellow.

I read that acetone will take that corvette painting right off. I only had xylene handy which worked. Masked off the pistons and such and started spraying.

That's after probably 5 coats or so. Nice depth to it in person. Looks like might be a little darker than the car but haven't compared side by side to my car in the sunlight.

After the clearcoat, shiny shiny. pics really don't do it justice. It looks blotchy but that's actually a reflection.

If the paint doesn't hold up, off they'll come and they'll go to the powdercoater.

One last bit of caliper ****. After all the clear, pulled off masking, back in box to await installation and of course... the lexus vinyl decals.

I sprayed the brackets with some black BBQ paint just to protect them from rust. Not pictured.

For those you doing this conversion or thinking about it, amazon has the set of pins from raybestos for 30 bucks on prime for the fronts. RockAuto also has them for about the same money but I have prime so went there for the free quick shipping and easy return if it indeed wasn't the full set. Description wasn't clear and they're so expensive everywhere else I didn't know for sure.
Went with the stoptech performance monopads also on prime over the padlets as I've read they're easier to deal with. OEM pads and pins are about 250 bucks, this route was 100 total landed and supposed to be better than OEM. A set of goodridge SS lines will be going on at the same time. I expect great things in the braking dept.

I'll have more pics when I do the actual install as well as a write up that I'll post here. This weekend doesn't look good afterall but maybe the following.

Last edited by SCereal; 01-17-14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 02:04 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

My vinyl came in so here's both calipers, painted, labelled appropriately. These are just the LS400 specific vinyls off ebay, they looked like they'd fit and they fit just right. I may have a line on some TT rears, hopefully will come through this weekend and I can scratch brakes totally off my list forever.

Old 01-24-14, 07:04 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

how much were the brackets to make them fit on the sc? what size wheel do you have to go with to make those bad boys fit.
Old 01-24-14, 08:03 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I paid 140 for the brackets from a member here. They're quite nice and well machined. I've got 19" ccw sp500s on my car but there's a bunch of fitments listed in LRDs thread here. I think 18 is about as small as you can go.
Old 01-29-14, 08:09 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Found a deal on some TT rear calipers with nice pads and rotors so scooped them up. Also did a little research on master cylinders. Found that at least on 97+ it's a two bolt flange just like supra TT and has a 1 1/16" bore NOT 11/16" as a lot of people seem to believe. Otherwise it has a 1" bore. Picked up a raybestos new unit on amazon for 60 bucks with reservoir. It's identical to my oem 97 on my sc300. That'll go on along with a brake fluid flush with ate dot4 fluid.

Also going to do sequoia 150 amp alt once it arrives next week.
Old 01-30-14, 11:56 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^Love those calipers, the paint was on point! I like it! Can't wait to see them on the SC bro! I think LRD had these or something similiar on his SC?

steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Snail's Pace