Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

92 SC400 Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 08:37 PM
Blackzilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 Turbo build

Whatsup guys im back and about to turbo my 1uz. She's been in storage for the winter so im gonna slowly start to do some prep work for the turbo.

I actually got this turbo when i bought my car before the SC (Mini 4 banger Integra) but never used it so its on a b18 manifold right now. Im not looking for much boost but im wondering if i need to do any internals, lets say 5-7 PSI MAX.

The turbo i have is a CT20A turbo and i do have an intercooler (pics below)

I have searched and will be following Redphoenix's guide on how to make the manifolds and everything even though he put his 1uz in a supra.

I guess my main questions are what will i need to do to my engine other than just slapping my turbo onto the engine. will i need any tranny work? etc.
Old 02-19-13, 05:14 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you stay within 350-400 RWHP the tranny should be fine. What are the other supporting mods? Injectors? Fuel pump, etc???? The simpliest thing to do is add 100 shot of NOS, and call it the day.
Old 02-19-13, 01:51 PM
Blackzilla
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I have no supporting mods im running completely STOCK right now. Thank you for the info on the tranny!!! I have been doing lots of reading and some builds that are adding turbos include ARP head studs. You mentioned Injectors and fuel pump. i have done none of that yet. Are those vital upgrades if i want to add my turbo?

Im not completely sure what you were referring to when you suggested NOS. I already have all the turbo parts you see the pictures above so im looking more into turbo than NOS. mor info is greatly appreciated
Old 02-19-13, 03:54 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

for 5-7psi max u shouldnt need to upgrade the fuel set up

check out lextreme.com a lot of info there
http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe-injector-upgrade.html
Old 02-20-13, 11:32 AM
johnyTran
Driver School Candidate

and i wouldnt worry about arp headstuds at that psi range either. just make sure the waste gate has the proper springs for the 5-7 psi your looking for
Old 03-15-13, 05:58 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Any updates on this????
Old 03-18-13, 04:04 AM
Blackzilla
Driver School Candidate

None so far I have been looking into getting a turbo manifold, I think I am going to build it myself but I'm not sure yet
Old 04-01-13, 03:15 PM
Blackzilla
Driver School Candidate

Hey CL,
So it's been a while since I've made any real progress other than researching. I've searched CL, other forums, and just all over google about creating my own manifolds for the turbo. I have a friend who is really good at welding and all around handy who is willing to help me. Im trying to keep all accesories so please help me out a bit. The DIY I've been looking at most is Stevechumo's thread. Where I am confused is where to place the BOV, WASTEGATE, and how to run the oil lines to the turbo. Sorry about all the questions but I guess that's how you learn right!
Old 04-01-13, 05:45 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

That's exactly how you learn. I knew nothing when I first started. I remember reading somewhere where you can turn the stock manifolds around backwards, then you build from there. I think Scotturnot did this. I am not 100% sure tho. Try it and see. Post up your findings. If it works, make sure I get the credit, LOL....
Old 04-02-13, 05:55 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 jz is right...build off that if you want only 5-7psi. individual tube manifolds are costly and will take time. it requires you to weld, cut and repeatedly take out the engine and put it back to check fitment. if you were building a tt beast then yes that's the way to go. that lil turbo will probably die on the v8. the oil should be tapped from either the head or by the filter where pressure is high (typically) then the return can be fed back to the oil pan (more cutting and welding). I have a feeling you are getting in over your head with a turbo build.

try doing the major repairs to it and get to learn the car first. then start with the basic mods. If your dead set on it then get ALL the supporting parts first.
Old 04-03-13, 07:06 PM
mikevandam
Driver

keep us updated!
Old 04-12-13, 08:49 PM
Blackzilla
Driver School Candidate

Been reading more on the manifolds, yepp I can just swich them around and go from there. Thanks 1JZPWRD! so I have been looking toward another possible problem?? Just let me know what you think.

The CT20A turbo i have is a pretty small turbo for the 1uz do you think so or no? i was thinking maybe because its a small turbo push more psi out? the turbo can run safely to around 14 i have read, and i know that the pre 96 engines can take a beating NONETHELESS i wouldnt go too high because i want the build to be reliable and not something that could just go at any minute
Old 04-12-13, 09:50 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeahhhhh. I had a HX35 for my 1UZ and that felt way too small too. The skyrocketing EGT's and running lean also kinda told me too.

Not to **** on your thread or anything, but that CT20 (IIRC) is from a 3SGTE right? Which is half the size of our UZ. If anything TWO CT20's would be awesome. I can't remember, but someone on Supra Mania had a MKIII with a 1UZ and two CT20's on it. Or it was CT26 from a 7MGTE.

:EDIT:

Found it
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...in-turbo-build
Old 04-14-13, 07:17 PM
Blackzilla
Driver School Candidate

What about some more opinions guys? Ive been doing some research and yeah the CT20 seems a bit small since its usually on the 3SGTE. Would turning the boost up a bit higher make up for the small size? or should i look for another of the same turbo for TT? Would really like to hear some good news that the single turbo would work since I would be able to start working on this in a week or so. Nonetheless I want the truth!

Thanks again CL,

Also found this to go with my hopes
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...6-CT20A-turbos

lemmi know what you think

Last edited by Blackzilla; 04-14-13 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 08:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I still think that particular turbo is way small, even with your horsepower demands. I say buy a BW S300 series for that kind of power and still have room to grow. If you are going to use stock ecu, injectors, fuel pump, etc, then maybe and just maybe the CT turbo will be plenty. I don't think you will be happy with it, just how quick it will spool and the amount of power it will produce. Believe me, you will want more boost and power after awhile, even when you are on a budget. This is just my .02.

I still say with your budget and knowledge, spray wet NOS. Research can only go so far, but actually doing it, is different. I am not saying you couldn't or your friend, but I don't want to see tear up your car either, and then it wont run after your money well spent. JMO.

Much more items will have to be fabricating and bought for the proper setup and the reliability is in question. I built my car for the reliability as a DD, if needed.

Quick Reply: 92 SC400 Turbo build