thuynh100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great!!
Old 05-15-14, 05:06 AM
v8sten
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this project, inquiring minds need to know, and see the installed High Quality pics.
Old 05-29-14, 10:14 PM
Rx79394
Driver School Candidate

It looks like a fantastic job! Something that I always wanted to get into - Composites.
Old 06-09-14, 09:09 AM
cholmes1
Rookie

Any final shots of the completed dash in the car? Also, in your LS1 swap thread you never indicated how your cluster worked? Were you able to figure out the wiring or did you install custom gauges?

Amazing work throughout and thank you for the documentation. It really is an awesome build.

Great work.
Old 06-24-14, 06:51 PM
Thumper28
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cholmes1
Any final shots of the completed dash in the car? Also, in your LS1 swap thread you never indicated how your cluster worked? Were you able to figure out the wiring or did you install custom gauges?

Amazing work throughout and thank you for the documentation. It really is an awesome build.

Great work.
So here is a semi-complete picture of the installed dash. I covered all the dash trim pieces including the gauge pod with 3M Dinoc carbon fiber. I still have the a/c vent bezel to go but I am not crazy about the final result. It might just be the color of the suede which seems a little mis-matched with the carbon fiber but I am thinking about removing it and going solid color with all the trim pieces.

I was able to get pretty much my entire gauge cluster working. I stuck satin black vinyl over all the warning lights from the features I removed (ABS, ESC, Check Engine, etc...) so it looks pretty clean. My tach is off a little but I found a company that makes a signal conversion module to correct the tach. Apparently it's a spark timing so it's off by 25%, the difference between the number of cylinders in the stock V6 to my V8. In the guage cluster I have oil pressure and water temp and a third hole in the middle (which is covered with vinyl) which I will eventually install a Holley EFI gauge hat can scroll through all my ECU parameters.
Old 06-25-14, 10:35 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's coming along great. If my opinion counts for anything, I agree with removing the CF wrap and matching it to the OEM trim color.
Old 06-28-14, 12:10 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Wow great work! but agreed with above, the CF wrap doesn't fit in that well.
Old 06-29-14, 11:06 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome work! I think you should wrap the upper gauge cluster in suede also.
Old 08-10-14, 01:22 AM
Joeyku
Driver School Candidate

Default Looking great!

Nice work! I just purchased an 07 with sticky dash and door panel issue and I'm planning on the same exact restoration minus the pod. I also want to do the door panels that are melting and sticky as well and was hoping you or someone could shed some light on weather or not the top piece of the door panels that get sticky can be removed and weather or not they can be shaved down in a similar matter as you did with the dash. Any insight would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-18-14, 09:54 PM
EulerWorld
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thumper28
So here is a semi-complete picture of the installed dash. I covered all the dash trim pieces including the gauge pod with 3M Dinoc carbon fiber. I still have the a/c vent bezel to go but I am not crazy about the final result. It might just be the color of the suede which seems a little mis-matched with the carbon fiber but I am thinking about removing it and going solid color with all the trim pieces.

I was able to get pretty much my entire gauge cluster working. I stuck satin black vinyl over all the warning lights from the features I removed (ABS, ESC, Check Engine, etc...) so it looks pretty clean. My tach is off a little but I found a company that makes a signal conversion module to correct the tach. Apparently it's a spark timing so it's off by 25%, the difference between the number of cylinders in the stock V6 to my V8. In the guage cluster I have oil pressure and water temp and a third hole in the middle (which is covered with vinyl) which I will eventually install a Holley EFI gauge hat can scroll through all my ECU parameters.
I would agree solid colors would look cleaner, but functionality over visuals for now... did you have any updated pictures on the interior?

great work
Old 10-02-16, 08:16 AM
MikeyGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thumper28

Man that would look so slick if you did the glove box cover in that material too. My dash is melting, and I think this is exactly what I'm going to do. But I'll probably end up doing the leather in the doors as well. How much were the materials?

(Sorry for the necro-post, but I'm new around here for the IS)
Old 10-16-16, 10:05 PM
ravenhil
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dash and door handles are literally coming apart and this does build thread does cheer me up somewhat! I can scrape the melting surface off but I have no idea how to lay on a new suede or vinyl surface. Even cardboard is better than a shiny glaring melted dashboard I have now!