1999 Lexus GS300 from New Zealand!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 04:48 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ava92
Love how the LED fogs turned out

And post up if you find a fix for the shifter gate cover, a friend of mine has the same problem and the RHD cars are quite rare here, so we can't just go to a junkyard or something for that piece
Can still buy it new from Toyota as it turns out
Old 07-29-15, 10:19 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

I did some small wiring today, got the new mirrors working, not yet the LED part but the electric adjustment works. I don't have folding mirrors in my car, no real desire or need so the wiring wasn't too difficult. For those in similar situation, and for my reference a little bit the wiring is simple. You need just four wires to make the basics work.

Red > Red
Black > Black
White > Whtie
Green/Black > Green/Black

Obviously I fixed up the connections properly after figuring that out.

If you have folding and (I guess) heating then you'll need to figure the rest out. For the LED winker part.. thinking to take the speaker housing out and run the wire through there and out near the other wiring to the main cabin but then divert it to behind the fender to just use that wiring to connect it up.

Last edited by mlracing; 07-29-15 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-01-15, 02:15 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Today finished off the wiring for the wing mirror LEDs. My plan of going through the speaker hole worked then I cut a small slit in the grommet that goes into the door for the rest of the loom and ran the two wires through there to meet the side marker wiring, taped up to look factory and there it is. Now I just need to get some LED side markers to match the blinking speed.

Short video here - https://instagram.com/p/51YT_nGbGt/?...=mlracing_alex
Old 08-01-15, 05:34 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

get some proper connectors or splices on those wires or solder it! this is not professional work...
Old 08-01-15, 08:30 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just shave the sidemarkers from the fenders since you now have the signals on the mirrors? It makes it a bit redundant to have 2 on each side... just my opinion.
Old 08-02-15, 05:01 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brainsurge
get some proper connectors or splices on those wires or solder it! this is not professional work...
Yes if you read it you would see I have done it properly and that was just for testing.
Old 08-02-15, 05:02 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Why not just shave the sidemarkers from the fenders since you now have the signals on the mirrors? It makes it a bit redundant to have 2 on each side... just my opinion.
Agree. Originally I was planning to change the fenders to ones which do not have the side marker in it, no point fixing up these ones as the fitment is poor so I feel like it's a waste of time. As it turns out though I'm going to sell the car by end of year so stopping spending money on it (aside from Aristo bumper which will be here soon, no washer nozzle holes in that).
Old 08-03-15, 02:12 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by mlracing
Yes if you read it you would see I have done it properly and that was just for testing.
Actually i read your post, however i seem to have missed that Good job then
Old 08-03-15, 04:26 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brainsurge
Actually i read your post, however i seem to have missed that Good job then

In other news.. spotted some Artisan Spirits fenders on Yahoo.. argh shouldn't spend more but have them on the watch list.. they have no side market in them and that was my original plan..
Old 08-03-15, 11:22 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

So I found a suitable rubber plug to go into the back of the lights.. sort of. It's about the right diameter but just a smidgen too small so it doesn't actually sit in there by itself. To resolve this a couple spots of glue around the edges.

Afterwards I got the silicon out, put a bead around the edge where the glass sits and pressed it in. Will let that cure overnight.

I did have a bit of an oh **** moment though, while threading the wires through the rubber plug one of them pulled off the board inside so I had to do some keyhole surgery to get that soldered back on. It worked but I hope no more have that problem..
Old 08-18-15, 11:12 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

As you know I just got the mirror indicators sorted and they were blinking differently do the regular side marker bulbs.. so I got these:

Real exciting stuff, but now they flash together.. https://instagram.com/p/6jH2QombEM/?...=mlracing_alex

All super exciting stuff.. except now the front indicators (and obviously the rear) don't match.. guess I better update those haha
Old 08-19-15, 02:54 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Only one day of having the cover off.. and look at it

Old 08-19-15, 01:48 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

why are you selling after all this?
Old 08-19-15, 04:50 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
why are you selling after all this?
Need the money for business growth as well as an overseas wedding that a friend is having. Also I've done what I want to do with the car and don't really want to spend more money on it; would rather get something newer.. or older as the case actually is

Another thing I noticed while driving it earlier this week is although it's nice to drive and comfortable and everything it's quite boring. I daily am 86 Civic Si and that's fun because it's engaging. The fun for me is in the build more than anything else.
Old 08-19-15, 09:30 PM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course it's boring, big single 2JZ time Alex!

Quick Reply: 1999 Lexus GS300 from New Zealand!