Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Sc300 1998 VVTI build

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 04:49 AM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc300 1998 VVTI build

I have my goals in mind I want at least 475rwhp reliably my car currently has 156,xxx miles its in great condition. My question is would I be better of building or swapping? From what I've gathered after a point either engine would have to be worked on and similar parts changed regardless of being Ge or GTE. For my goals what parts would specifically fit my needs the car is 100% stock hasn't been touched yet I would like a suggestions also taking my time on the build any advice in terms of specific parts for the goals in mind would be very much welcomed I'm looking at many details, such as suspension, brakes, reliability I am also interested in a manual swap the more I read about w58 the more I'm understanding it will not meet my reliability standard and ill have to go for an r154.
I'm not looking at an extreme I feel 475 is conservative in terms of what these engines are said to handle and regular gas can be pushed only so far from what other posts ive read I just won't need that much power.
As far as upgrades I've look at
-brakes- tt supra fronts, sc400 rears
- suspension- Megan racing ez coilovers
-rims- no idea just something that would clear the supra brakes and still look nice
I'm open to suggestions or alternatives. I'd be willing to document this or however to further benefit the community honestly tons of stuff to read on here but maybe my specific goals could help someone looking for similar I could share my journey with others. I've written a lot. I hope it gives an idea to others how I feel about doing this. Thanks CL
Old 09-15-13, 07:24 AM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

Anyone willing to help me out ?
Old 09-15-13, 11:45 AM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your budget?
Old 09-15-13, 01:18 PM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

Around 6000 perhaps it isn't enough for my goal but I'm sure it could put a dent in my plans at least and as I've said time isn't an issue if its gotta be parked for awhile its fine I have another car for A daily driver.
Old 09-15-13, 01:31 PM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

Also I would like anyone that may be able to share experiance with Megan Ez racing coils for our cars I'm not looking for a track monster. Just something that improves on stock suspension with out sacrificing all the comfort. Their a good deal for the price, but I haven't read any definitive reviews so I'm on the fence on purchasing them. I work hard for my money so I can just throw it with out knowing what I'm getting or at least getting an idea of how it performs.
Old 09-15-13, 07:38 PM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

Am I posting in the wrong area?
Old 09-15-13, 08:05 PM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vvti internals are not as strong as the regular ge internals.
Old 09-15-13, 09:19 PM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. Yes I've read that for my goals would I rather look for some off a stock gte or a different alternative altogether?
Old 09-16-13, 01:37 PM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

What would be the best Turbo charger for my goals in terms of response throughout the powerband?
Old 09-16-13, 01:45 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe a gte swap would be best and you can get pretty close to 450 with bolts on and maybe some cams.
Old 09-16-13, 03:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I am not up to date on current vvti na-t numbers on a stock block, but 475 rwhp (which is oddly specific btw) seems alot for the weaker vvti rods, and certainly not a good idea. most people would not run past 12 psi on the stock vvti motor if that and that nets you probably more in the mid 300 range.
I would look into a vvti 2jzgte swap, but you could have issues with emissions.
If you want to go na-t swapping your bottom end out for a non-vvti ge motor or even put the better pistons and rods in your motor (from gte or non-vvti ge), and also put on a 2jzgte headgasket to hit those numbers.
Old 09-16-13, 03:24 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^^Agreed. I think 361whp would be more attainable on a stock bottom end, but even that is pushing it on the dinky vvti rods. Swap in a vvti gte, or plan to go through the na bottom end to reach your hp goal.
Old 09-16-13, 05:58 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i have done 415 rwhp on a completely stock 2002 is300 , i built the car oct 2011 and the owner daily drives the car . around low 400's only on a standalone with a fully competent tuner who truly understands what it takes to protect the vvti weakpoints and the right sized turbo that not a trq monster will yield these results . ive done it a couple of times

Old 09-16-13, 08:57 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

You should just swap the motor. Get a GTE motor and R154 tranny.

As far as other upgrades, if you're just planning on doing front brakes, which it sounded like you are, get the LS400 bbk, it's a little cheaper. I got mine, which came with freshly painted calipers, and the rotors, for $200. As far as suspension, namely Megan EZ, I've heard they're really soft, so if that doesn't bug you, go for it. Just keep in mind they are not rebuildable.
Old 09-17-13, 01:47 AM
Ladykiller
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i have done 415 rwhp on a completely stock 2002 is300 , i built the car oct 2011 and the owner daily drives the car . around low 400's only on a standalone with a fully competent tuner who truly understands what it takes to protect the vvti weakpoints and the right sized turbo that not a trq monster will yield these results . ive done it a couple of times

Well then what are the weak points for my vvti motor I would have to upgrade on my current engine? I've heard people write that they can save money sourcing parts and doing it themselves vs swapping. I know my engine has been very well taken care of and has always seen a Lexus dealership for all its maintenance. I would much rather keep it that purchasing someone else's motor without knowing its history. I claimed a budget. I'm willing to go beyond that to do it right the first time. I plan on keep this car forever. I have a friend at work that is helping me has a 1924 t bucket. He isn't familiar with the engines exactly he can however do things like custom exhaust, ect in other words guys pretty smart about cars. I appreciate any help and advice. I want to learn & makes the right choices on this & I figured 475 that way I would be making at least 500 at the crank correct? Pure ego thing their.

Quick Reply: Sc300 1998 VVTI build