SC Door panel FIX!! STRONG!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 07:20 PM
siccas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Door panel FIX!! STRONG!

Hello

I know there are a few build/repair threads but I found a few in my opinion where just a quick inexpensive shi*y fix. Now the way I chose to fix theses were not the cheapest rout but still less than a hole new one that's probably muffed up in the first place. So here is a list of all my materials.

1. Fiberglass resin and matt
2. JB Weld For ABS Plastic ( IT MUST BE ABS PLASTIC JB OR IT WONT STICK AS WELL)
3. A few small pieces of practical board.
4. All Strap

Now, the first thing to do is to take apart the door panel after you have removed it from the car. Next, you need to find the weakest spots of your panels and put tape on them. This will help you know were they all are. The weak spots are normally for the plastic part right where the panel screws to the door under the handle and near the switch. Also on the bottom where you screw them to the door. Mine also had water damage to the cardboard part of the door panel so it was soft and tore easy.

After, on the card board part peal off the sound padding and mix up some fiberglass resin and hardener then get some of the fiberglass mat and fiberglass the weakest points of the cardboard part of the door panel. I took pieces of the all strap and put them where the screw holes where just for some reinforcement. You could also use washers. If you get fiberglass in the hole it will be ok u can drill it out later. You may not need to do all this but it really makes a difference.

With the plastic section of your door panel use the JB Weld for ABS plastic with fiberglass mat or wood or all strap what ever you feel you need to use. I use some pieces of metal that was pretty thick. Along with some fiberglass mat. My door panels where completely broken in half. Now they are stronger than stock. Also there was a lot of spots where the screws go threw the back of the cardboard into the plastic where completely broken off. I used particle board but this will only be good the first one or two times you take it off and on but I didn't really have any thing else to use and it doesn't really need to ever come off even if you need to remove the door panel. JB the particle board where you want it and clamp it down in till its try. And I did the same to the metal if you put tape on your clamps your clamps wont stick. After mix a little more jb up and fiberglass mat the particle board to the plastic. Doing 2 or 3 coats of this stuff like this makes the stuff strong as fu**. You may not need all the practical board I had to use it b/c there were not ne screw holes.

After everything is dry and hard sand down all the ruff edges. After I was done I rubberized undercoated the hole cardboard part of the door panel. This makes for a clean look you can also replace the plastic parts where you screw the door panel into the door. I had to start with really bad ones and I noticed that one had the allstrap liquid nail and screw fix and it sucked so bad. My door panels looked like some one latterly ripped them off. I could only get a few pictures of all of it but my door panels feel amazing now. This is a very strong fix for this problem. It will last. I know this isn't the best write up but it will give you a very good idea on how to fix yours and yours are probably not as bad as mine where. I just noticed a few on here seem like a half *** fix. I don't take any responsibility for you and how you do this. You mess up that's on you. Here are a few pics its all I could get uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails SC Door panel FIX!! STRONG!-dsci0002.jpg   SC Door panel FIX!! STRONG!-dsci0013-2-.jpg   SC Door panel FIX!! STRONG!-dsci0011-2-.jpg   SC Door panel FIX!! STRONG!-dsci0001-3-.jpg  

Last edited by siccas; 08-14-13 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 08:04 PM
IanWatson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking forward to seeing final product , I am tempted to do this
Old 08-14-13, 10:28 PM
siccas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanWatson
looking forward to seeing final product , I am tempted to do this
they r done I have no pics of them if you look in my garage there is a few pics of them in the car