Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Coltello's new to me Build Thread

Old 01-04-14, 01:18 AM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coltello's new to me Build Thread

Hey everyone. I'm new to the world of Lexus. I just picked up a 2006 IS 350. It's a very clean car, one owner, Florida car, luxury package with the Levinson sound system.

I come from the VW world where I had a 2007 GTI with a bunch of mods at stage 2. It was a fun little car but I got bored and wanted something new. I test drove the 335i, 328i, the G35 and the G37. I ended up with the Lexus because it seemed to have the balance of performance and luxury that I was looking for.

My plans include a muffler delete with axle back straight pipes with stock tips, an intake, engine cover delete (done...haha), re-tint the windows, debadging the "Lexus IS 350" lettering on the rear or possibly down badging it to read "250," alignment, front brake pads, paint the calipers, figure out why the TPMS is showing "Check System," color accents, LED interior lighting, and finally...get rid of the wood grain inside.

I'll upload pics soon and post my updates here. Cheers.
Old 01-06-14, 10:32 AM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

So I've decided to go with a blue theme to the symbols, calipers, and lettering on the back of the car. I ordered the following products:

Plasti Dip Metalizer
Plasti Dip Blaze Blue
Duplicolor Blue brush on caliper paint

I also ordered a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit because my headlights look a bit yellow.

I uploaded a couple pics of my baby too. The front one will be a good before for the headlights and symbol.
Attached Thumbnails Coltello's new to me Build Thread-img_0641.jpg   Coltello's new to me Build Thread-img_0640.jpg  
Old 01-06-14, 12:08 PM
alee350
Pole Position

welcome! happy modding!!!
Old 01-06-14, 09:26 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Congrats and welcome to CL! Any future plans for the car? I'd start with the suspension.
Old 01-07-14, 05:02 AM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Initial G
Congrats and welcome to CL! Any future plans for the car? I'd start with the suspension.
The stock suspension feels nice to me after riding around on my Raceland coilovers for over a year. I would like to drop the car a bit but I don't want to loose any comfort this time. I think I may get the muffler delete straight pipes Wednesday or Thursday depending on shop costs.

I'm anxious to start modding because it feels totally weird to me to have a car that's stock...
Old 01-07-14, 08:32 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coltello
The stock suspension feels nice to me after riding around on my Raceland coilovers for over a year. I would like to drop the car a bit but I don't want to loose any comfort this time. I think I may get the muffler delete straight pipes Wednesday or Thursday depending on shop costs.

I'm anxious to start modding because it feels totally weird to me to have a car that's stock...
Just out of curiosity why would u want to put a 250 badge on a 350?
Old 01-07-14, 08:36 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
Same here....
Old 01-07-14, 09:14 AM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jump2man3

I'm a fan of down badging as a shot against the people that up badge. Like an Acura symbol on a Honda or a bmw badge on a Hyundai. It would be mostly for laughs bc I'd find it amusing.
Old 01-07-14, 12:01 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

AHA ok. Gotcha
Old 01-08-14, 12:50 PM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Well I decided on a resonator delete instead of a straight pipe exhaust. I figure it will give the car some soul and keep it civil around town. Plus, if there's any little ones in the back they will be able to hear in a couple years which is a plus. Now, I have a question for you more senior guys: The shop, which shall remain nameless, suggested removing the two post o2 sensor cats to extract more sound without removing the mufflers. I have a few questions here, namely, will this throw a code? I know the o2 sensors are upstream so it SHOULDN'T throw a code but, as I said, I'm new to Lexus. Also, will this increase the sound much or are they after the cats for their value?

After some research, it looks like I'll be purchasing a K&N drop in filter and a Joe Z intake tube. I would get the F sport filter but the K&N is half the price and I had good luck with the Typhoon intake on my GTI.

The plasti dip and caliper paint will come on Thursday but it will be a few days before I can get the time to do the spraying.
Old 01-08-14, 02:14 PM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Also, I found out my rear driver's side tpms isn't working.
Old 01-08-14, 10:51 PM
Scless
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coltello
Well I decided on a resonator delete instead of a straight pipe exhaust. I figure it will give the car some soul and keep it civil around town. Plus, if there's any little ones in the back they will be able to hear in a couple years which is a plus. Now, I have a question for you more senior guys: The shop, which shall remain nameless, suggested removing the two post o2 sensor cats to extract more sound without removing the mufflers. I have a few questions here, namely, will this throw a code? I know the o2 sensors are upstream so it SHOULDN'T throw a code but, as I said, I'm new to Lexus. Also, will this increase the sound much or are they after the cats for their value?

After some research, it looks like I'll be purchasing a K&N drop in filter and a Joe Z intake tube. I would get the F sport filter but the K&N is half the price and I had good luck with the Typhoon intake on my GTI.

The plasti dip and caliper paint will come on Thursday but it will be a few days before I can get the time to do the spraying.
I suggest not removing the O2s. 1. It'll mess with the fuel trims and performance and economy will suffer. 2. It'll throw a code. Pre or post cat. Lexus, honda, nissan, etc whatever manufacture. It's a emission device and the gov is up tight with it.
Old 01-09-14, 12:30 AM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scless

I suggest not removing the O2s. 1. It'll mess with the fuel trims and performance and economy will suffer. 2. It'll throw a code. Pre or post cat. Lexus, honda, nissan, etc whatever manufacture. It's a emission device and the gov is up tight with it.
They were recommending removing the catalytic converters that were downstream from the last two o2 sensors not the o2 sensors themselves.
Old 01-11-14, 04:58 AM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

So I'm feeling like the resonator delete isn't loud enough. I may just go ahead with the straight piping as planned.
Old 01-13-14, 02:34 PM
Coltello
Driver School Candidate

Extra bits.

Coltello's new to me Build Thread-forumrunner_20140113_173349.png

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coltello's new to me Build Thread