Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My SC400 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 07:13 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My SC400 Build Thread

Howdy fellow SC drivers. After owning my SC for 4 months, I believe this is my favorite car so far. Coming from a 98 Mustang, my 95 SC400 is phenomenal. It's faster than the Mustang, more stylish and overall a better ride. Despite my newfound love for Japanese luxury cars, when I bought my SC, it had some issues,
  • The car would make a crinkled can sound upon startup - Check
  • Tie rods were bad - Check
  • Valve cover gaskets were leaking - Check
  • Check engine light is on
  • Cluster lights are beginning to fade
  • Stock 12 disc changer and cassette player don't work
  • Stock speakers chip in and out
  • Interior is in rough condition
  • Paint is peeling in certain places
  • Tires need to be replaced
  • Low engine oil level light is on
  • Hood struts need to be replaced
  • Drivers side door panel/handle needs to be replaced
  • Whining sound when I turn the steering wheel
  • Needs a new front bumper
  • Chrome fender thing delete

Since my car is 18 years old and had 198k when I bought it, I expected as much. Being in this for the long haul and money being a factor, future updates may be few and far between. During the 4 months I've had the car, I've done some maintenance and repairs.

Shortly after purchasing the car, I went on eBay and ordered 2 tuneup kits and gaskets for the valve cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-7-97-Lexus-LS400-SC400-Complete-OEA-Tune-Up-Filter-Kit-/251256877881?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASC400&hash=item3a8013b339&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-SC400-92-97-FACTORY-OEM-COMPLETE-FACTORY-OEM-TIMING-KIT-PUMP-BELT-/390392515133?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASC400&hash=item5ae5350a3dhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/BECK-ARNLEY-036-1725-Valve-Cover-Gasket-Set-Engine-Valve-Cover-Gasket-Set-/121135375264?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASC400&hash=item1c343b23a0&vxp=mtr
Water pump, timing belt, tensioners, pulleys, spark plugs, wires, distributors, rotors, seals, etc

After asking a few friends who talked me into buying an SC in the first place, I decided to go to Stan @ S&O Teck in Ft. Lauderdale to get the aforementioned maintenance done. From what I was told by them and other people, this was the guy to go to in SFL for SC's. $600 later, the car was seemingly running better. It still had a crinkled can sound when it started up, but it was running smoother. A week later, the starter went out not far from S&O Teck so $840 ($40 tow, $800 labor) later, it was repaired. At this point the weird start up sound was no longer an issue.

The day after I got my car back, I noticed it began to overheat. Not long after that, the radiator blew. When my cousin and I checked it out, we noticed that one of the hoses underneath the spark plug wire box thing was unclamped. When I called Stan and told him about it, he told me that it was a "safety feature" that the clamp would move forward to prevent something or other from breaking. But we checked this clamp and this isn't a clamp you would use a screw driver to tighten, this is the one that you need a pair of bird beak pliars to move. It is my belief that they left it unclamped the day before and just didn't want to take responsibility for it. Whether intentionally or otherwise remains to be seen, but I haven't been back since and I actually refuse to go back since I think I was lied to.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and I began having a very rough idle. My car would feel when it started up, but began shaking violently after warming up and wouldn't accelerate properly for ****. I went to a couple shops and had them listen and they all quoted me no less than $400 and telling me it was most likely a timing belt issue until I told them I just did the timing, then they would come back and tell me they couldn't be sure. After doing some research, I narrowed it down to either the ignition coil, tps or maf. I took a leap and decided to go out and get a couple ignition coils.

When I went to change them, I noticed the drivers side one was going to be a pita to remove so I went for the easier of the two. When I fired it up, immediately noticed a faster start and no more violent shaking! It's been about a week since I fixed it and my gas mileage has gone back from horrible to poor where it used to be. When I find a screwdriver capable of getting to that other coil without taking all that **** off first, I'll change the other one.

Long post, I know but I feel like this thread is overdue. I meant to start it months ago and never did. In any case, this is what I've done and where I'm at with my car. I haven't touched the interior yet. Car hasn't been painted. Nothing cosmetic was done. Everything so far has been maintenance. That doesn't necessarily bother me. I honestly plan on owning this car until the wheels fall off and putting almost 5k miles on it since I got it is a testament to this. Even more of a testament is the fact that when I got it, I had 2 full time jobs within 3 blocks of each other and my house is 5 miles away from both jobs. You do the math! This is by far the best car that I've owned and I'm just happy to be apart of the Club. Hopefully by December I'll have the car painted, wheels and coilovers installed, interior and sound done!

Advice, suggestions, criticism are welcome! Also, anyone able to point me to a trusted mechanic in the S. Florida area would be greatly appreciated!
Some pics

Edit: I see everyone elses build threads are mostly turbo setups and such. My thread is more of a restoration. I have no intention of modifying my car in that way.

Last edited by lexuscfour; 07-23-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 07:19 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Any updates on this restoration.
Old 09-11-13, 02:34 PM
Back2aday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

real nice car