Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3IS owner vehicles

r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 09:18 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello CL!

I've been privileged enough to be part of the R&D for the PTS-Joe Z Exhaust for the 3IS. Here are a few pics and progress points I can share at the moment. More to come I promise!!

First off, we all know the care and professionalism JoeZ takes into his projects but I can't say enough how impressed I was with the knowledge and professionalism of the PTS staff and their engineers. This is going to be a solid product.

pics...

1) the angrypanda on the lift
2)a shot of rear to front with the stock exhaust on
3)rear to front shot - no axle back, no mid-pipe
4)front to rear shot - no axle back, no mid-pipe
5) stock exhaust

This system seems identical to the one on the 4GS. The biggest difference (and the most obvious) is the length of the entire catback. The 3IS seems to be an inch or so shorter than the one on the 4GS. This was the first of many R&D sessions and while I can't say much...i can say that it will sound amazing. I'll keep y'all posted
Attached Thumbnails r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread-on-lift.jpg   r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread-rear-to-front-stock-exhaust-on.jpg   r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread-rear-to-front-no-catback.jpg   r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread-front-to-rear-no-catback.jpg   r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread-stock-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by r0shiro; 09-23-13 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 02:09 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Default TRD push-to-start button

Added the TRD push-to-start button. A big thank you to Nigel-JDMparts and JoeZ. Contact either for pricing. =) I will post a DIY soon.

follow on IG:

@r0shiro
@joezperformance
@nigel-jdmparts
@endles_automotive
Attached Thumbnails r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread-trd-button-installed.jpg  

Last edited by r0shiro; 09-23-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 02:15 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why switch the stock cold air intake to an aftermarket hot air intake?
Old 09-23-13, 03:25 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Loving the red push start button. Niice upgrade !
Old 09-23-13, 03:28 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbx
Why switch the stock cold air intake to an aftermarket hot air intake?
because...

restrictive filter box plus loss of air flow due to resonator equals warmer direct air flow with no loss of air.

That was my justification behind the mod. Plus I'm not going to debate a mod over a 5HP drop OR gain. Plus....its cool i love irony...
Old 09-23-13, 05:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^^vbx, I added the Takeda intake as did Richie O and I immediately noticed the improved performance difference. And the sound is to drool over. The before/after video somewhat demonstrates this but it's much better sounding in person. Unlike some of the other aftermarket intakes, the Takeda comes with a bracket that creates almost a sealed system which helps cut the motion of hot engine air while sucking in cold air through the stock "ram air" tunnel. It's smartly designed. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8153924

BTW, Richie, really nice TRD button. Suits the Red-stitched F-Sport interior!
Old 09-24-13, 06:11 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

On the LED turn signals...did you have to install any sort of adapters with them or just the bulbs themselves. The egg yolks are starting to get old and looking to switch out...thanks!
Old 09-24-13, 07:46 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^^vbx, I added the Takeda intake as did Richie O and I immediately noticed the improved performance difference. And the sound is to drool over. The before/after video somewhat demonstrates this but it's much better sounding in person. Unlike some of the other aftermarket intakes, the Takeda comes with a bracket that creates almost a sealed system which helps cut the motion of hot engine air while sucking in cold air through the stock "ram air" tunnel. It's smartly designed. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8153924

BTW, Richie, really nice TRD button. Suits the Red-stitched F-Sport interior!
Thanks corradoMR2! it made sense with the red stiching. =)
Old 09-24-13, 07:50 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
On the LED turn signals...did you have to install any sort of adapters with them or just the bulbs themselves. The egg yolks are starting to get old and looking to switch out...thanks!
Hey Sarcoptic...i didnt install any adapters or additional resisters. So i end up having a hyper blink on my turn signals. My emergency signal stayed on the stock timing probably because its on a different relay? i dont know...but anyways...if you just change the bulbs to LEDs then you'll end up with hyperblink regardless if you change just the front or rear or both. I have amber in the front and red in the rear. I would have to cut the wires and install a resistor in between and just didnt want to mess with the electrical side of things. Not for a bulb...lol.
Old 09-24-13, 08:31 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thejaperu
Hey Sarcoptic...i didnt install any adapters or additional resisters. So i end up having a hyper blink on my turn signals. My emergency signal stayed on the stock timing probably because its on a different relay? i dont know...but anyways...if you just change the bulbs to LEDs then you'll end up with hyperblink regardless if you change just the front or rear or both. I have amber in the front and red in the rear. I would have to cut the wires and install a resistor in between and just didnt want to mess with the electrical side of things. Not for a bulb...lol.
Thanks for the response...probably look at doing chrome bulbs then.
Old 09-24-13, 09:12 AM
LEX430SC
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the TRD push start!

Cant wait for the DIY install
Old 09-24-13, 09:50 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thejaperu
Hey Sarcoptic...i didnt install any adapters or additional resisters. So i end up having a hyper blink on my turn signals. My emergency signal stayed on the stock timing probably because its on a different relay?
Probably the same relay, but with emergency signal you activate all bulbs, and the load increases enough to stop the hyper blink.
Old 09-24-13, 10:06 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jhs82
Probably the same relay, but with emergency signal you activate all bulbs, and the load increases enough to stop the hyper blink.
i like answers that make sense. Thanks jhs82.
Old 09-24-13, 11:23 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F350
loving the roof !!!!!! such a clean setup

Would you be able to do me a favor and measure the diameter of inner exhaust tip (not the chrome tip but where its connected to) ? Planning to change the exhaust tip finisher to a more oval one.

Attachment 290484
Can the 3IS tips even be removed? Are they not welded on?
Old 09-24-13, 12:40 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good sir!!!

Even with the:

You know what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: r0shiro's 3IS Build Thread