Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CatManD3W SC300 Ongoing Build...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 11:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

wow those gauges fit nicely there!! I would have left the passenger side vent but if you wont be using it at all it makes sense to remove it.
Old 03-07-17, 12:35 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
So this will be a full-on race car now? No heat or A/C?
Yes that is my plan to have a street legal race car. My intent is to use the car at my local Pittsburgh International Race Complex. I only drive the SC when it is a nice day out, it has never seen rain/snow or even salt.

I have also gutted all the stereo, speakers, amps from the car and cleared out all the unused wiring.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
wow those gauges fit nicely there!! I would have left the passenger side vent but if you wont be using it at all it makes sense to remove it.
Thanks all of my air vents were cracked and falling apart. So it made sense to get rid of them and use them for something else.
Old 03-09-17, 10:56 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Day has finally arrived. TREMEC is here and could not be happier. I have been waiting patiently for over a month to get it.

Also I opted to go with American powertrain for the shifter extension as well. You need 4" extension to place shifter further back. I have not yet fit it to the car but plan to work on this weekend.

Name:  unnamed%2014_zpsb3tsrydy.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  unnamed%2015_zpsnhdcffya.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  unnamed%2016_zpshrh8qpb7.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  144.7 KB
Old 03-09-17, 12:20 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Ryan , what is the part number of that Tremec Magnum ? Did you get the close or wide ratio ?.. 10009 ?
Old 03-09-17, 01:08 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
Ryan , what is the part number of that Tremec Magnum ? Did you get the close or wide ratio ?.. 10009 ?
Gerry I got the close ratio....i.e the TUET11009
Old 03-09-17, 04:53 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read numerous place that close ratio is the way to go for our setups...can't wait to see that beast installed!! Make sure to document very well and take a butt load of pics!!! That's going to be a sweet riding machine bro..keep it up
Old 03-09-17, 05:40 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to do it over again this would be my choice, cant wait to see it installed
Old 03-09-17, 06:46 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Interested to hear your feedback on that shifter arrangement. It reminds me of the CD009 style shifters where the shifter pivot point remains in that position, but the shift **** is off-center (4" in your case it sounds) from the pivot point. So on the CD009, the side-to-side left-right motion isn't in a straight line anymore. going from left to right, it's sort of a rounded arch motion because of the shifter being offset from the actual pivot. Not a bad thing, just not as 'normal' feeling. That's one thing I've noticed about the one Grannas offers, it has an entire new second pivot point at the end of the extension as well which I assume would eliminate that arch feeling, which is why I thought that was a pretty cool design. But maybe it's not even a thing on these transmissions like it is on the CD009. So interested to hear if you notice anything like that.

Good stuff though man!
Old 03-09-17, 07:35 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geauxsimon
I've read numerous place that close ratio is the way to go for our setups...can't wait to see that beast installed!! Make sure to document very well and take a butt load of pics!!! That's going to be a sweet riding machine bro..keep it up
Thanks. I will try to document as much as possible but sometimes I tend to just get stuff done and forget to take pictures. I am using the 4.08 gearing from stock SC300 5spd that I have installed my TRD LSD into.

Originally Posted by mikef
If I had to do it over again this would be my choice, cant wait to see it installed
I am hoping this is the last time I have to worry about the transmission on the car.....time to shift focus else ware.

Originally Posted by Halon
Interested to hear your feedback on that shifter arrangement. It reminds me of the CD009 style shifters where the shifter pivot point remains in that position, but the shift **** is off-center (4" in your case it sounds) from the pivot point. So on the CD009, the side-to-side left-right motion isn't in a straight line anymore. going from left to right, it's sort of a rounded arch motion because of the shifter being offset from the actual pivot. Not a bad thing, just not as 'normal' feeling. That's one thing I've noticed about the one Grannas offers, it has an entire new second pivot point at the end of the extension as well which I assume would eliminate that arch feeling, which is why I thought that was a pretty cool design. But maybe it's not even a thing on these transmissions like it is on the CD009. So interested to hear if you notice anything like that.

Good stuff though man!

Thanks.....fyi the stuff grannas offers is all outsourced....the only parts he actually makes is the transmission mount.

The shifter mechanism you are referring to is made by sikky.

As far as the mechanism I have from american powertrain it is fully tuneable....you can adjust the spring reload on the shifter and change the orientation in any direction
Old 03-10-17, 07:49 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Badass man! I'm still lurking these forums checking up on progress.
Old 03-10-17, 09:34 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Thanks.....fyi the stuff grannas offers is all outsourced....the only parts he actually makes is the transmission mount.

The shifter mechanism you are referring to is made by sikky.

As far as the mechanism I have from american powertrain it is fully tuneable....you can adjust the spring reload on the shifter and change the orientation in any direction
Yeah that's why I said the one they offer, not saying they build it. Was the one you ordered a better price point in comparison?

I made this ****ty sketch to try and explain what I was trying to say.
- So the bottom picture represents the shift **** directly above the actual shifting pivot point. The feel that most of us are used to, straight left right.
- The middle one represents an extended arm, similar to say the Fenning one and others for the CD009. So the actual feel at the shift **** has a slight curved feeling side to side. Not much and not a big deal at all. Just curious if you experience a similar feel on that trans with that shifter since it's similar in design, or if it's just completely different on that trans and doesn't do that at all.
- The top one represents the Sikky one that Grannas offers, where it's extended but also adds a second remote pivot point, in that new location which I believe would keep the 'normal' side to side feel.

Not knocking one way or another. My original homemade CD009 shifter had an extremely curved feel to it because it was such a long extension. Just curious if you could share as I may convert from CD009 to this arrangement some day.

Attached Thumbnails CatManD3W SC300 Ongoing Build...-capture.jpg  
Old 03-10-17, 10:10 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Ah ok I got you now...
Old 03-10-17, 10:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

What Brandon (Halon) said is exactly what I was just talking about with Aaron (geauxsimon) who is about to get his Tremec Magnum. This lightning shifter would probably function like the swan neck of the R154 / W58 and the Sikky is like the tripod version of the R154/W58 where the shifter arm pivots through a fulcrum and a bracket / arm makes the shifting point follow wherever the shifter arm goes.

We would definitely be interested on your review once it is up and running Ryan. Thanks for keeping us updated. It surely will help a lot of us who one day would be using same trans.
Old 03-13-17, 12:01 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Gerry, I will be sure to gets some reviews for shifter, transmission and clutch setup
The following users liked this post:
lilSCsteve (03-18-17)
Old 03-26-17, 01:26 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Getting really close within a week or so of getting the car back on the road. Just need to wrap up a few things on the tranny swap.

Putting the interior back together...only need to wire up the gauges and put remainder pieces back in the center console.

Name:  unnamed%2018_zps8lwhklgc.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  unnamed%2019_zpsxqciuw7x.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  114.5 KB

Quick Reply: CatManD3W SC300 Ongoing Build...