Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Starting NA-T build Today. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 04:27 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my main worry with going with the tt ecu mod is the wiring. I am horrible at it, and I hate it. I would PAY for someone to make me a PNP harness.. or at least CLOSE to PnP.

Also Ali SC3, the transmissions issue I saw had to do with the line pressure? I guess I would just be forced to shift my automatic "manually"? Also, if this causes a CEL, it shouldn't affect emissions right? Why would they care if there was a transmission issue and not a emissions issue?

I ALSO just asked my local shop if they can tune with the FIC, or if they know another place that can. Waiting on that response..
Old 08-27-13, 05:07 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

also, is there any way to tell if these remanufactured ECU's are legit/the one I would need? I mean, why would autozone sell it if it didnt swap right into a 1997 tt supra?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...0012_370139_0_
Old 08-28-13, 10:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

no the line pressure thing was something we were wondering a while back, turns out it will shift the auto trans just fine, but for odb1 the overdrive light blinks for some reason. the tt ecu mod thread is like 80 pages long almost so the things after the first 4-5 posts are very old and I wouldn't read from there. IF you have specific questiong post them at the end of the thread and those who have done it may be in there to help out also.

It should shift fine on odb2 as well, but not sure about what cel's will come up or what will blink at you. it will require some troublehsooting most likely to clear that stuff, but it should shift fine, the line pressure is controlled mechanically on your car, and that will continue to work even with the new ecu. you may have to add the part that missing to the wiring though to make the ecu happy, but I have not worked on odb2 so I don't know exactly what it will take, but there are guys swapping manual transmissions into odb2 and getting around the codes, so I would think it is possible to work around the codes I just dont have a writeup or anything.

sounds like you may not be comfortable doing the wiring, and then the troubleshooting, so maybe the FIC is not a bad idea unless you have alot of time or someone to help out.

I would get a used ecu off on of the forums, should be less than $200 for an odb2 usdm ecu.
aftermarket re manufactured sounds unnecessary and costly.
Old 09-22-13, 06:43 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Okay, SO I found a tuner that can tune with the AEM FIC. I am sticking with that for now. If it doesnt work then I will go with the TT ecu mod.

NOW, I was thinking about my wideband install and it got me thinking about how I am going to run my 2 O2 sensors. Since I am using the FIC, I need CATs right? So how should I go about this? Run 1 high flow cat right after the DP with 1 sensor in front and the other behind? I know I am going to have to extend at least the upstream O2 but idk how far. How would you guys go about this, especially since the car isnt going to run well enough to drive to the exhaust shop to get this done.
Old 09-22-13, 07:01 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had o2 sims and ran 3in from the turbo back without any cats. Does your state/county have emissions if not i would ditch the cats.
Old 09-22-13, 07:14 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Yea there is OBDII testing. They just plug in and check for CELs. No visual
Old 09-30-13, 07:44 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Anyone know which wire I can tap into for power to boost and wideband gauges? I see a red, green, white, and red/black.
Attached Thumbnails Starting NA-T build Today. HELP-20130930_193615.jpg  
Old 10-02-13, 08:26 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make the pics smaller... get a multimeter and check which wires give you power. That the best way to find out.
Old 10-02-13, 12:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can get it off the cig lighter, or a better way someone posted recently is to take it from the connector for the car phone plug (under the cup holder). If you don't have a car phone its already there and not being used by anything so If I had to do it again I would try that, but I originally did mine off the cig lighter.
Old 10-02-13, 05:45 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I mean have heard the aem fic could be made to run well, it does intercept everything and has alot of features like the standalone does, but that being said, it requires tuning all the stuff and some cooperation on part of the stock ecu, and from what I have experienced with the standalone, there is likely a learning curve and not something I would attempt for a daily simply because there is a turbo ecu option in your case from the USA. If you were 98+ and needed odb2, I would tell you to go for the aem FIC as you literally have no choice anymore.
The tt ecu will drive your car perfectly though, which is what you want for a daily.

check out my tt ecu mod, the link is in my signature just click on it. I think in post 4 I say what is needed for the USDM ecu, you need a odb2 96+ USDM supra turbo ecu. they are usually a bit pricier search for odb2 ecu is probably easiest in the classifieds here and on SF.

you also need a turbo supra maf cause they are 3", I don't think there is a difference between odb1 and odb2 maf wise but I could be wrong on that one.

you also need a map sensor, normally you have to get a 2jzgte one for the JDM ecu, but I am not sure if maybe you can use a different one on the USDM ecu's since its not used for fueling and you dont have twins. you may get a code with a different kind, but if not then a gm 3 bar or motorolla 2.5 bar would be a cheaper alternative that would also raise boost cut which is nice. A theory of mine I have not tested yet. the gte one works fine though.

only other stuff is 550cc injectors, vvti coils and ds62 ignitor, and then the spare ecu pins to wire it all up.
amen. I'm dealing with this exact thing now. sourcing the parts isn't as easy as i thought.
Is it recommended that i get the maf and map from obdII gte's? or any gte? jdm included?
Old 10-02-13, 10:06 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

one more question, does the AEM F/IC6 let you pass emissions? I think that the route i will be going with
Old 10-07-13, 04:19 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

my tuner says that if you dont delete any of the stock smog equipment, it SHOULD be able to pass. I am going to try and pass without O2 simulators but if I cant get the CEL to go off, then they might be required. Ill post on here when I find out for myself.
Old 10-07-13, 04:23 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

BTW you should check out my other build thread. It has pictures and is all around more detailed.