Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 08:12 PM
allenpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a whole bunch of questions for you and wanted to see the car again but didnt see you at Caffeine and Octane this month. hopefully ill be able to get together with you next month? hopefully the car is serving you well these days
Old 11-10-13, 05:11 AM
eng1nerd
Rookie

I had some fuel delivery issues that I think are for the most part resolved so the car should be back to daily status. I'd like to make it out do C&O again, see that the schedule looks like for December.
Old 11-12-13, 10:34 AM
allenpark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eng1nerd
I had some fuel delivery issues that I think are for the most part resolved so the car should be back to daily status. I'd like to make it out do C&O again, see that the schedule looks like for December.
sweet im looking forward to seeing the car again
Old 02-09-14, 12:31 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

It's been a while since I had a real update. I've been driving the car daily for several months now and am to the point where the projects I have left are easily done on weekends.

A few weeks back I finally got my OBD2 port hooked up in the car. It had been just temporary under the hood.

This weekend was brakes. I noticed there was a pretty bad lip on the edge of all 4 rotors so I figured it was tine. I got drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads all the way around. I know there are mixed feelings about these, and the guys that do like them always have a preferred brand. I have used parts from Brake Motiv (ebay seller) in the past and have always been happy so that is where these came from.

Here is the rear.

And the front.

I have also known for some time now that I need solid subframe mounts. The diff. mounts I made help with the rear end rocking but moved all that force to the subframe and have worn them out. While I had the rear wheels off I took a look and as you can see there is a pretty big gap between the metal and rubber that I'm confident isn't supposed to be there. This is on the project list to get done in the next few weeks.

Old 03-10-14, 04:18 AM
eng1nerd
Rookie

Sorry man, the thread isn't dead I have been incredibly busy and didn't see that you had posted in here.

I have the receipt at home for hte power steering fitting. If I remember corrrect it is a metric oring seal (M14 or M16) on the rack and then M JIC -6 on the other end. I picked it up at a local hydraulic supplier I deal with at work.

The throttle cable is a universal 36" Lokar from Speedwaymotors.com. Originally I was going to use an F-Body cable but ended up with the wrong version cruise vs. non-cruise I think.

The A/C I still need to hook up. Same with the solid subframe mounts.

My wife and I are expeting our first child in the next two weeks so any time I have has been dedicated to getting us and the house ready. The Lsxus has been a reliable daily driver but hasn't seen much in the way of work lately.
Old 07-13-14, 05:44 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

Been way too long since I updated, been pretty busy with work and family. Anyhow here is what I've done lately.

Getting ready for our baby (who is now 4 months old), the Lexus got a car seat.

Over the winter I discovered I was slowly loosing coolant. Turns out the barb I had installed for the steam lines was leaking at the threads. I just turned a new barb out of aluminum and got it welded in at work.

I knew all along that the filter I had put on the intake was too small so I finally upgraded to the biggest size I could fit without going through the hood or fender well.

You can see on the right side of this picture where I added a GM MAF into the intake. Still don't have the car retuned to utilize this but at least it is mounted and wired.

At some point along the way I decided I should check the cabin air filter...I'm glad I did and kinda wish I had the day I bought the car.

Finally what so many have been wondering about. A/C. I got all the lines made up (and somehow forgot to take pictures of them. I also got the GM side wired with a relay and the factory pressure sensor. Took it over to a buddies shop to get charged and got cold air out of the vents. Then popped the high pressure relief on the back of the compressor. It seems like the system us building pressure and the sensor isn't shutting the compressor off as it should. I'm suspecting either a bad sensor, or poor choice of location for the sensor in the system (on my part). I still have work to do here but at least have light at the end of the tunnel since I felt cold air!

Old 07-13-14, 06:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

thanks for the update.. nice to see this up and running... this has been a small journey.... more pics and sound clips in the near future...
Old 08-15-14, 09:19 AM
eng1nerd
Rookie

I feel like a complete moron, but it's ok because I now have working A/C!

What I discovered was that the line I recycled from the Trans Am with the pressure transducer also housed the orifice tube. Not only was it not needed, it was backwards. I pulled that, recharged the system and now have nice COLD air.
Old 08-19-14, 11:41 AM
Heyboss2JZ
Driver School Candidate

nice Build! bet this thing is a blast to drive!!
Old 09-15-14, 01:55 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

I'm a week late at this point but oh well. I took the car to LS Fest again this year. My buddy even went with me again, even after spending last years trip under the car working on it. The weather was great. Saw some familiar faces again from last year. And...we didn't have to work on the car! Enjoy a few pics I snapped.

Old 09-15-14, 01:59 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

pics are blurry but what a great swap and build
Old 09-16-14, 03:23 AM
eng1nerd
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmf2004
pics are blurry but what a great swap and build
Thanks, it was fun to build and a blast to drive.
Old 10-08-14, 12:13 AM
DeusDept
Driver School Candidate

Hi , Im doing the same swap too but am stuck with the AC. I pmed u and was wondering if u can help me out a bit. Thank u very much!
Old 02-03-15, 06:52 PM
ScooterDon
Driver School Candidate

Eng1nerd...
Do I missunderstand?, or do you have both the GM and Lexus computers running ?

Emissions?
Daily life insights?

I am seriously considering swap on my is300 wagon (sportcross)
Old 02-09-15, 04:06 AM
eng1nerd
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScooterDon
Eng1nerd...
Do I missunderstand?, or do you have both the GM and Lexus computers running ?

Emissions?
Daily life insights?

I am seriously considering swap on my is300 wagon (sportcross)
You are correct, I have the GM ECU running the motor and the Lexus ECU running most of the gauges.

I never did take it through emissions before I moved and now don't need to. As long as there aren't any codes thrown and the place is willing to hook up to it it should pass.

Only reason I'm not daily driving mine right now is snow ans salt. Before we moved I drove mine every day year round. The exhaust is a bit loud, not bad at all though. I see no issues with this setup for a daily. I even took mine on some 5 and 8 hour road trips without issue.

Quick Reply: IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build