Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 12:02 AM
BoostdIS30
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man bet your finally glad to have he running and be almost done. Mad props can't wait to start on my LSx project.
Old 08-08-13, 03:39 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

Just got back from dropping it off at the exhaust shop. If everything goes well tomorrow I should be driving it home after work.
Old 08-09-13, 12:50 PM
allenpark
Driver School Candidate

did you do this with a manual or auto is300..would it be the same process with an auto is??
Old 08-09-13, 02:27 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

I did it with a manual IS. I haven't done this swap before so I am only guessing at auto but you would need the full clutch/brake pedal assembly, some massaging of the trans tunnel at the shifter hole, and a bit different wiring with the dash indicators and clutch switch. I know it has been done before, that was what Dedicated Matt used the first time and I believe a few others as well.
Old 08-09-13, 02:32 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

I just DROVE the car home from the exhaust shop and while it was awesome I have a few bugs to work out. My steering wheel is sideways (from pulling the knuckle to install the headers). I have an oil light, flashing seatbelt light, flashing ABS light, flashing Trac Off light, and flashing low fuel light. The biggest issue on the dash is that I have no Speedo and I have no idea why since I was under the impression that was driven by the rear end not the trans. I also REALLY need to replace the diff bushings.

Otherwise it was awesome.
Old 08-11-13, 06:40 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

I was able to wrap up several loose ends this weekend. The power steering leak I knew about and already had a new reservoir on order so that was an easy fix. The coolant took a bit more work, it turned out I didn't have the steam vent hooked up right and it was bleeding though the overflow. It only took me four trips to The Home Depot to get that straight.

Of all the issues I had the lack of speedo (which I was the most concerned with) was the easiest to fix. As I came to learn every IS300 in 2001 used the wheel sensors through the ABS module to read speed. From 2002-2005 this only applied to the auto cars. Factory manual cars had a VSS on the trans. What makes things nice is that all the pins are there to make the manual read speed like an auto. I followed the instructions here to get it working.

http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-auto-ma...ometer-443995/

Next on the list is diff bushings. Mine are blown and get a really bad oscillation under part throttle. If I am off the gas or under heavy acceleration everything is fine.

I also took a quick video of the car idling in the drive with the new exhaust. Enjoy.

As it was over 90 today I need to start looking at A/C soon.
Old 08-13-13, 08:31 AM
o2IS
Driver School Candidate

Great build. I bet it's super fun to drive.
Old 08-13-13, 05:20 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

I meant to post up last night but didn't even get home till almost 1 and still had to get up for work at 5:30. At any rate after work last night a buddy of mine helped me get the diff bushings out, then make and install the new ones. His dad owns a diesel garage and let use a bay after hours. Needless to say there was plenty of room.

It didn't hurt having the right tools, and by right I mean really big and beefy!

We found the best way (only way that worked for us) was to use an air chisel and drive the old bushings out. I knew they were bad but didn't know just how bad. One of them didn't even have fluid in it anymore. We did a pretty good job of destroying them on the way out but still had enough there to get dimensions from to make new ones.

I decided instead of aluminum I would try with Delrin (high density plastic). This should give me enough strength but still allow just a little bit of give to help keep the vibration down.

They turned out well, were pretty easy to install (a lot better then removing the old ones). I saved all the dimensions in case these don't hold up and I have to make them again out of Aluminum. Time will tell.

I also figured out today the "bucking" I was feeling was an issue (or several) in the tune along with the bushings. The car is at the shop now and will be getting tuned tomorrow hopefully.
Old 08-18-13, 05:09 PM
allenpark
Driver School Candidate

how much did this swap cost you to do? and what tools would you need besides know how and some determination
Old 08-20-13, 06:37 AM
eng1nerd
Rookie

Originally Posted by allenpark
how much did this swap cost you to do? and what tools would you need besides know how and some determination
It all depends on how crazy you want to get with the build. I spent right around $5k on parts and services (this includes drive shaft work and exhaust that I can't do at home). This doesn't cover any of the odd ball little parts I made at work, the cost of the car, or the motor and trans. If you start with an auto expect that number to be higher as you will need the Lexus pedal assembly and some other small items I didn't need.

As for tools...a little bit of everything. I couldn't really tell you what all I used since I used a lot of my tolls and have quite a few. You could certainly do it with less but since I have them I used them (no sense in making things harder if I have the tools). Sockets and wrenches (combination, ratcheting, and stubby), several types of pliers, drill, hammer, pry bars, screwdrivers (mainly used for stabbing the fingers on your other hand), soldering iron and helping hands, floor jack, jack stands, and Cherry picker just to name a few. I also rented a harmonic balancer puller to re-seal the motor and a power steering puller to work on that system.

I would also highly recommend a second set of hands for most of the removal and install (not as big a deal on the wiring and plumbing).
Old 08-20-13, 08:31 AM
BoostdIS30
Driver

I can't remember if you've done it already but did you do a write up and I understand if you haven't gotten around to it. How's the LSx swap working out?
Old 08-20-13, 11:34 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Where at are you in ga? need to come out and play and hang out.
Old 08-20-13, 01:18 PM
eng1nerd
Rookie

Originally Posted by BoostdIS30
I can't remember if you've done it already but did you do a write up and I understand if you haven't gotten around to it. How's the LSx swap working out?
I haven't done a formal write up, just what you see in build threads. I have been tracking all of my purchases and as many part numbers as possible. I will be putting together a good bit of wiring info. Any issues I ran into pretty well got documented in this thread.

The swap is working well the little bit I've driven it. I drove it for a weekend and to work twice then dropped it off to be tuned. I am out of town on vacation visiting family this week so won't get the car back until the 26th at the earliest.

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Where at are you in ga? need to come out and play and hang out.
I am north of Atlanta. The plan is to have the car at caffeine and octane in Sept.
Old 08-22-13, 01:12 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eng1nerd

I am north of Atlanta. The plan is to have the car at caffeine and octane in Sept.
Sounds good! I shall prolly be there. PM me if you ever look for stuff to do or go to the track!
Old 08-25-13, 11:58 AM
allenpark
Driver School Candidate

ill be at c&o as well ill be looking for this thing...=)

Quick Reply: IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build