No pictures from today but I did work on the car. I got all the heater lines finished up, ground cables landed, and tried to turn the key...nothing. Turns out the "power" cable run to the starter was a ground. Just a little confusion there.
Once that was fixed I tried to start it again and wasn't getting anything. Turns out I didn't have my master cylinder adjusted right with my pedal and the clutch switch wasn't fully depressed when I was trying to start it. After I got that adjusted it did crank under it's own power. However the guy that was coming over to tune out VATS got rear ended on the way to my house and wasn't able to tune it out. We will get that taken care of one night this week and I should have a first start up video.
I still need to order a few parts to hook up the last power steering line. I'll work on the A/C lines once the car runs and I have driven it at least once.
This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
It's getting so close! I discovered the other day that I didn't have two of my switched ignitions wired right (they were constant) so I re-did both of those. The guy came by to tune out VATS and discovered that there is apparently something wrong with my wiring to the OBD2 port since he wasn't able to connect to it. He did have some pointers on the way I had a few things grounded, so we fixed those and it turned over and started to fire...then VATS took over. I have some trouble shooting to do in order to connect to the OBD2 port.
In other news the last few fittings came in for my power steering lines so that should get finished up tomorrow. Throttle cable also arrived today so that is hooked up and the pedal is back in the car.
Once we get connected and rid of VATS I'll have camera rolling for a first start up.
I still haven't finished up the power steering but I did get the shifter in tonight. As well as figured out the issues I was having with the OBD2 port. I can now connect with the scanner so whenever I can get the guy to stop by again I can finally be done with VATS for good and start the car up for the first time.
Here are some pics of the shifter installed and the adapter I used to offset it back.
Eventually I will do something different for a shift ****, for now I'll rock the Firebird.
Thanks for the compliments guys. I guess I take for granted what I know. I have a Bachelors and Master in Mechanical Engineering and my full time job is as a Manufacturing Engineer in a production facility. None of the physical/mechanical portion of this swap bothered me. The wiring was the scary black hole and as it looks now I think everything is correct. I already started marking up schematics for the wiring to share with others. And I'm always happy to answer questions or share pictures if you want to know more about something specific.
I got to work on the car for a few hours this morning, we are headed to a wedding this afternoon so this will be all for today. It took me long enough but I have finally figured out how to assemble these hoses pretty consistently.
This finishes off the power steering system. Here is where it meets the rack.
It's tight but everything fits. And here it's spliced into the GM line off the pump.
The belt is back on, and I started installing the intake when I realized I had to grind a little to plug in the Lexus MAF. I thew a coat of paint on it where I had to grind and will install it for good tomorrow. This is what it will look like in the end.
So I got to look at my OBDII wiring again today, this makes the third time. When I thought I had it yesterday it turned out I was picking up the 2JZ not the LS1. For some reason the wire I have pulled into the car isn't happy. I ended up soldering in the connector from the Trans Am at the ECU and can now connect...Finally!
I got all the hoses tucked away today. The last couple grounds landed. Battery mounted in the trunk. Trimmed the vette covers to fit my dipstick and larger intake. And got my intake piping installed. Here are some pics.
If it starts this week, the next step is off to the shop for exhaust and start driving it. I'll still have to make up the diff bushings and work on A/C though.
Big milestone. Got all the sensors, issues, etc fixed with the tune last night and discovered I had a wrong wire on the fuel pump and wasn't getting any fuel pressure. I spend several hours and a bunch of trial and error (solder joints) later got the wires right. I committed to the shop that it would get dropped off tomorrow after work for the exhaust to be built...so it had to run tonight.
Here is what everyone has been waiting for, the first start up video. Open headers backed into the garage are loud and don't come up well on a cell phone video, but oh well, she runs!!