Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 08:39 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, time for an update. Done list:

Swapped both upper and lower door panels.
Swapped the drivers door window regulator
Swapped the blower motor resistor
Swapped the drivers side lower dash panel
Swapped out the rear seat cushion
Swapped the glove box latch
Swapped the shifter button
Put in my Kenwood head unit
Installed 2 amps
Put in my Polk audio speakers
Installed 2 12's
Cleaned the carpet and the rest of the interior
Washed and waxed
Relocated the battery (first step in supercharging)

New to the done list:

Swapped all struts w/ lowering springs
Swapped front and rear sway bar bushings
Swapped rack bushings
Swapped inner tie rod ends
Swapped all the caliper brackets (one slide pin hole on 3 of the calipers has wallowed out)
Swapped out the brake pads (red stuff EBC)
Swapped all front control arms
Swapped all rear control arms
Swapped the rear toes rods
Using the factor traction bars since the Megan was bent up

Since the drivers rear was damaged the upper control arm was broken and the lower control arm was a bit twisted. I burned the bushings out of these parts from the red car and removed the poly bushings from the damaged parts and installed. Also, since I did not swap the hubs, I burned out the traction rod bushings, where it mounts to the hub assembly and removed from green installed on red car.

So I now have all poly bushings on the red car except on the traction rods where they mount to the body of the car. I swear I have these bushings somewhere but can't seem to find them. Also. the car sits quite a bit lower now.

I also bought a new set of wheels. I like the wheels on it but the front are 18's and the rear are 19's and the rear tires are the wrong size (taller than stock height) so my TRAC light comes on. I went with 18's. These - http://advantiwheel.com/wheel.cfm?id=14

The front is 18x8 and the rear is 18x9.5 +35 offset on both. Ordered Sumitomo HTRZ 3's (great tire FYI) 275-35-18's and 245-40-18's. I do believe it will look nice. Slightly worried about the offset on the rear, might need to shave the fenders.

Will try and take some pics when I get to installing them. I have the wheels and the tires should be here Monday.

Tomorrow I am going to wash / wax the red car. Then, I'm going to work on the green car preparing to pull the motor, trans and diff. Should have the motor and trans out Sunday if not tomorrow. Borrowing a cherry picker from work. I have a few more parts I might salvage then I'll be ready to have it towed out. Kind of sad to me, kind of feel like my dog died or something. I really think I will enjoy the red car more once I can enjoy it rather than work on it, LOL.

One more note, the Supra wheel on the drivers rear did not survive the crash despite what I thought at first, see pic.
Attached Thumbnails New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo.jpg  
Old 06-14-13, 09:20 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you really love the SC... thats some dedication to come right back to one after a wreck.

Good luck on the build looks like the pevious owner had a crush on mustangs, hopefully you get it looking like a sleek SC again exterior wise aswell!
Old 06-15-13, 03:05 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Wow, you really love the SC... thats some dedication to come right back to one after a wreck.

Good luck on the build looks like the pevious owner had a crush on mustangs, hopefully you get it looking like a sleek SC again exterior wise aswell!
LOL, I see what you are saying but I like it, it's different. Maybe I have a secret Mustang fetish....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

KC
Old 06-15-13, 03:07 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Suspension work is all done finally.

Will put on the new wheels and tires as soon as I get the tires. Then I will need to do an alignment. I'm sure its way off at the moment. Going to avoid driving it till I have the tires.

Also, remove the exhaust and diff from the green car.

Hope to pull the motor tonight or tomorrow.

KC
Attached Thumbnails New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo2.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo3.jpg  
Old 06-16-13, 01:14 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Pulled the motor today.

Pictures courtesy of my 8 year old son.

KC
Attached Thumbnails New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1163.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1168.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1170.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1171.jpg  
Old 06-16-13, 01:16 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

More pics..............................................

Have a few more things I need to pull out of the car then to the junkyard I guess...
Attached Thumbnails New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1172.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1173.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1183.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1185.jpg  
Old 06-18-13, 07:52 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

After a late night last night, got the wheels / tires on and got the alignment done. It was like a 20 minute process getting the car on the rack and about the same getting off. Had to roll the rear fenders. I think it looks 10 times better lowered with the new wheels. Will take some pics a bit later.

Also, the motor / trans swap / supercharger install will take place the weekend after the 4th of July.

KC
Old 06-18-13, 12:20 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moving along nicely man, those are some great pics for a a 8 year old.
Old 06-18-13, 03:33 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Pics with the new wheels. Sorry about the quality, ipod camera.

They are 18x9.5 rear and 18x8 front. +35 both front and rear.

Has the right size tires all the way around now so no more traction control or abs lights. I'm probably going to end up getting rid of the abs and trac anyhow though.....

KC
Attached Thumbnails New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo4.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo5.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo6.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-photo7.jpg  

Old 06-19-13, 03:52 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Today's to do list:

1. I found the bushings for the trac rods where they bolt onto the body, going to try and get them in.
2. Swap out the center vents, the one vent is completely broken. The one from the green car is in better shape.
3. Replace a fog light bulb that's out.
4. Cut out the supercharger bracket so it will better fit the car. I had to do some wheel well modifications on the green car, hoping to avoid that on this car.

I am waiting for the side axle seals for my LSD diff. Once I have those I will install it.

I might also try to figure out why the tail light indicator is coming on as all of the lights (except the one fog light) are working. I have already tried swapping the tail light indicator box without luck. Probably there is a wrong type of bulb installed somewhere.

My plan for passing state emissions inspection once a year: I might for a while just run on the factory ECU and see how it does. But I have a plan which I think will work if / when I want to run the Adaptronic and still need to pass an emissions inspection once a year. I purchased some automotive connectors, male and female. I will cut the factory harness wires that I need to run the Adaptronic ECU and install these connectors. I will then put the same connectors on the Adaptronic's harness so that in theory I can just unplug the factory ECU and plug in the Adaptronic. Then once a year I just go back to the factory ECU. I will need to get some cat converters on the car. I will also most likely need to block the EGR so I will either need a way to fool the factory ECU into thinking its working or I will need to unblock it once a year.

KC
Old 06-19-13, 09:03 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Got my to do done today.

Center vents changed.
Trac bar bushings replaced.
Fog light bulbs fixed.
Fish bracket cut and repainted - will not know on fit for sure until the motor gets swapped.
Also adjusted the passenger door latch as it was hitting pretty hard.

Still waiting on my diff side shaft seals.

Really, really tempted to get these - http://shopfigs.com/v1/SC%20SC300%20...product_id=119

Ordered some red SS brake lines.
Plan on painting the calipers red.
Also got myself a nice Autometer mechanical boost gauge and an Innovate AFR gauge to use with the LC-1 I have.

I have had an AEM gauge setup for awhile but it has been acting very weird. I actually suspect the sensor is bad, maybe the heater circuit.

That's it for now!

KC
Old 06-19-13, 09:53 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DANG, you work fast! New wheels look nice
Old 06-19-13, 09:59 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjffyy
DANG, you work fast! New wheels look nice
Trying....

Only problem is that I have to wait 2 weeks before I can get to putting in the motor / trans / supercharger. I'll have 5 days straight off from work. July 6th - 10th.

Should be plenty of time to get the motor in and the wiring done and the little things figured out..

KC
Old 06-21-13, 08:12 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Not really a whole lot to report today.

Got my diff side seals and installed them. Going to try and get the diff in tomorrow. Also have managed to remove a few more parts from the green car. Almost ready to get rid of it. Hunting for a key fob as I currently have no keyless remote. I insulated the center console trim pieces as they were rattling like crazy, hopefully fixed, have not driven yet.

I have had a ton of people, over time, ask me about my supercharger setup and the steps I have taken. I have not been too great at helping these people out so I am going to try and post some new pics and explanations here. Starting now:

Pics 1 - 4 show the supercharger bracket with everything bolted to it. It took a long time to get the spacing / belt alignment correct. I can try to get a rough measurement of the spacing if needed.

Pic 5 shows the LS400 bracket that needs to be installed in place of the hydro fan system pump. The holes that have no bolts in them are where the supercharger bracket bolts to. There is also a stud just above the ac compressor that I have never been able to get a nut on without interfering with the ac compressor so I just leave it without a nut. There are spacers that go in-between the bracket and its mounting points.

KC
Attached Thumbnails New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1215.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1216.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1217.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1219.jpg   New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2-img_1221.jpg  

Old 06-21-13, 08:15 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Sweet KC! What is the scoop off of?

Quick Reply: New project - Supercharged SC400 part 2