Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Tabaka Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 08:56 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tabaka Build

Going to start a thread of my NA-T build as I will need TONS of help from everyone. I've been inspired after three years of owning this car that it just straight up sucks. It's slow, I've been spanked by everything from a tuned GSR, an SRT8, to even a VW GTI. This is just not acceptable.

I was inspired recently as a friend was cleaning his basement the other day, and came across an intercooler and turbo that he forgot about. Both have been sitting for about 4 years but were rarely used. The turbo and intercooler were used on his 500hp EVO. I'm not sure about the compatibility just yet, but he's offered them to me for free. He had them installed for under 5,000 miles and decided to sell the car and went back to stock.

My main goals are to stay very simple and to keep my stock W58. Obviously this limits me to 350-375hp but that's fast enough compared to this slug that we own. This has to be a budget friendly build as my wife and I are expecting our first child in October and I have bigger priorities than a 20 year old ghetto rocket lead sled. But, I have a side business that finances my car addiction without pissing off the wife too much.

The outside and inside of my car are very complete. Black and tan interior, wide wheels, 97+ all around with Fujin front and rear lip, 97 tails, etc. It looks bad@ss without the fun. 160k miles on my stock GE, it runs very well minus earlier hiccups over the years. Everything is new underneath, radiator, alternator, waterpump, timing belt, every seal...the list goes on and on.

Goal: $2,000 budget as of now. I'm going to be glued to the FS section on CL, SF, and various NA-T forums. Most of the parts installed will be USED, I have no shame . I'm not going to do an FFIM as of now.

Parts list:

-Exhaust manifold to possibly match existing free turbo. If I can't find anything compatible, I'll attempt to sell the turbo on the Evo forums and use the money for one that will work.
-Intercooler - Free, just brackets and zip ties
-Intercooler piping and couplers plus custom welding or a used kit that fit reasonably.
-Clutch and pressure plate that can deliver 350hp with daily driven comfort. Looking for suggestions.
-Oil feed and drain lines
-Fuel pump is currently a TT bosch that I replaced last year. I think it will be enough.
-Engine Management - NO IDEA, maybe the GTE ECU?
-4 Runner cap and rotor unless the engine management requires coil packs and dist. delete.
-Injectors - I think stock will be fine for my small amount of hp but open to 440 debate.
-Custom downpipe and exhaust that is quiet and resonated, almost stock. I want to install a QTP electric exhaust cut out!
-BOF - HKS or something legit.
-Wastegate - TiAL only, will not cheapo out on this. What mm should I purchase?
-Manual Boost controller and gauge
-New Engine and tranny mounts, they're 19 years old and it's probably time to replace them.
-Differential, open to options or suggestions if needed.
- Labor, the two hands that the Lord gave me plus any help from friends and forum members.

I'll add to this list as I receive suggestions and required missing items. Feel free to reply or send PM's. I've debated going 1JZ/2JZ-GTE, but going single requires a lot more money to reach 350hp+. I have a perfectly working GE ....so why not use it?
Old 05-28-13, 09:11 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Good start and good luck. Am sure you will find a lot of help around !
Old 05-28-13, 09:51 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tabaka, looks like you're off to a great start with your build bro! We're here to help with any questions you may or may not have.

steve
Old 05-28-13, 10:23 AM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with your build, mines is finally coming along.
Old 05-28-13, 01:50 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Ok, so to begin, this isn't my car, but a good idea of what it looked like in March of 2010.

And of course after 1 year, it looked like this.

Decided 97 all around last year including tails, blacked out the eurolines with vinyl and plastidip lol. Looked ok I guess

Then this is current as of a few weeks ago. I added the Fujin rear lip but I don't like it.

Also did a black and tan combo including black dash, black upper trim, black column, black mats, black seats, black center console, all OEM (No SEM) RX steering wheel, and various other things inside

Pretty happy with it this year. I could use some coilovers, but I'd rather spend the money on speed. Went from those heavy Work 19"s to lighter 18" LM reps to get a larger tire size and a more comfortable ride.

18" x 9.5" +12 up front 225/40/18
18" x 10.5 +15 out back 265/35/18

Added Topspeed Pro 1 mufflers which sound pretty nice. I'll probably leave them and the stock exhaust for a while. I listed that QTP exhaust cut out that I plan on installing just behind the DP. Pretty sure I have one from a former build on an older Mazdaspeed Protege that I use to own. Going to search around my fathers garage and shed to find it.

Added these to stop better, but in the end it's actually worse. I don't know what the hell is wrong with them. The car grinds when coming to a stop. I also have a set of upper control arms with poly bushings that need to go in.

Last edited by Tabaka; 05-29-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 03:26 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude! Hell yeah, think your build will might help me pull the trigger too. Gl man, should be a whole different ride once your done.
Old 05-28-13, 03:31 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't u get the NA-T kit from turbo XS, it like around 1500...
Old 05-28-13, 06:04 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FSRMotorsports.com in LA have good quality bolt on SC turbo kits for dirt cheap.
If I had to do it again I would have just kept it simple and gone with one of those.
Old 05-28-13, 06:22 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say use the same fuel pump, sell the turbo and get a BW S300. That will be plenty for your goals. If you have done the required service already this will be less worries down the road. For a clutch, there are many out there. I have an ACT. Some like them, some dont. Mine has started to squeal only in first gear, but it has been good to me. No problems. The choices are up to you on your budget.. Good luck and I will looking at this thread.
Old 05-28-13, 08:51 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

2BENVD - yeah man, it's just time. Tired of being a lead sled and need a challenge. The car is pretty much finished aesthetically, so I'm just bored and need that speed feeling again.

horent - sounds boring and that would be too easy :P The fun part is grabbing unique pieces and learning.

lfrers - will check them out for various products.

1JZPWRD - Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 05-28-13, 09:30 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Goodluck on the build, if your so bored and want a challenge do a manual swap turbo 1UZFE
Old 05-29-13, 07:50 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Goodluck on the build, if your so bored and want a challenge do a manual swap turbo 1UZFE
I might be buying a 1970's Toyota Corona in a few weeks and I'd like to swap the old 20R for a 1UZ possibly. I'm just waiting for the current owner to stop holding on to it.

For those that don't know, this is a Corona...

Old 05-29-13, 07:56 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Dayum that corona looks beast!
Old 05-29-13, 11:17 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ That be sweet!
Old 05-29-13, 06:26 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

I'm going to discuss all kinds of awesome'ness about my car and the amazing design that Toyota created. Lets start with the L port location for AC recharge. What brilliant Japanese man decided to put the low port inlet 3 inches from the exhaust manifold on the firewall? I realized this tonight when I decided to put in a little freon for that arctic breeze through those NASA engineered vents that crack after 7 minutes of ownership. I have a 2nd degree burn on my wrist now lol.

Quick Reply: Tabaka Build