Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

A manual SC400 is born: DD build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 01:25 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastana
Hey nice car man I was saying did it throw a CEL and if so how did you go about it?
Thanks a lot! No CEL since it is OBD 1 running the engine computer.
Old 01-24-15, 09:35 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Well with things on hold, I decided to have a little fun. I bought OEM high and low-beams to replace my crappy "ebay" lights. You know which ones I mean, the angel eye projector ones. Ironically, I bought these ones from ebay so you could say I still have ebay lights. I know I know, that joke was cornier than ethanol. Here are some pictures of how they look after taking them apart, cleaning, and painting the inside housing of the low-beams. I used high temp engine paint, color is semi-gloss black.

They still need a little work, they both need new rubber gasket material around the edges (passenger side especially) but I know where to get some that comes in rolls. One of the mounting tabs is broken as well, I'll be trying to fabricate something to substitute.

Broken mounting tab:

Haven't done anything with my high beams yet because I've been lazy. They'll come next, and I have plans for a TSX retrofit as well. Already gathered the parts I need. I'll be using 4300k for the HID setup.

Last edited by SoaringSC; 01-24-15 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 09:12 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

I ended up not quite liking how the low-beams came out, and I'm not confident enough in my sealing abilities right now, so I decided to send them off to KingPhilip for my retrofit and to finish restoring them as well.

I also just got these in the mail Friday my IMF headers back from being ceramic coated! This coating is called "white lightning", not sure if I'm allowed to advertise the actual company though so if you want to know who did it, just pm me for now.

Old 05-24-15, 09:33 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

I almost forgot: story time!

So I finally had my bent wheel fixed. It was not cheap and I will tell you why. It was vibrating at speeds of 70+ mph, but below that you wouldn't notice it, so I continued driving on it and just stayed off the highways. Well, if I had only not procrastinated and gotten it fixed as soon as I first noticed, I would have saved myself about $900! Wheel repair by itself was only $150.

However: because I had continued driving on it, I completely blew out both of my front shocks, damaged a tie rod, had an unevenly worn front tire, and the bent wheel was also the straw that broke the camel's back for my front LCA bushings. Total cost of repairs? About $1,100. Ouch! This was not including 4 brand new Continental DW tires which I did not NEED but decided to go ahead with anyway. I also made sure my mechanic used new Toyota LCA's instead of ordering them from Lexus, saved myself some decent money there.

The car handles AMAZING now. I have never driven a RWD car on summer tires before. It is downright life changing. I'm obsessed with setting the car up for better handling now (for the street, no bone-rattling coilover setups for me). I can't wait to have the rest of the bushings replaced with my Vlamos set sitting in the closet, and see how it handles then!
Old 05-24-15, 03:45 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to hear how the car sounds with the headers installed.
Old 05-25-15, 03:51 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Maximo018
I want to hear how the car sounds with the headers installed.
Trust me, neither can I! Definitely will do some videos once that's done.
Old 05-25-15, 04:34 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

This is a post-repair look at the spot where my wheel was bent. Unfortunately there are several scratches and some marring that I can only describe as "mesh-like", but at least it's safe to drive on and won't damage my suspension anymore.

Old 05-25-15, 06:11 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to get them repainted or powdercoated?
Old 06-27-15, 12:35 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Maximo018
Are you going to get them repainted or powdercoated?
No, I may get the damaged one refinished though.
Old 06-27-15, 12:57 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

I am dropping my car off at a shop for a very long appointment to have a lot of work done on my baby. She'll finally be mechanically base-lined. On top of that, my headers will be installed and a custom exhaust will be put in as well. I've used the following threads on lextreme, and user JBrady's advice in particular for reference:

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15692

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13805

This is what I have drawn up (note: not to scale):

This is what it will ideally look like in real life, but mine will have mufflers and resonators (don't know who's pics these were originally):

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

I want to be able to live with this exhaust. This car is my daily driver. I also want to minimize any loss of low-end power.

Last edited by SoaringSC; 06-27-15 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Edited to censor someone else's license plate
Old 06-27-15, 01:15 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's gonna be QUIET!

I honestly would skip on the rear two resonators and just run the single center resonator and mufflers if you want really quiet.
Old 06-27-15, 01:16 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Thats gonna be sooo loud lol.. I really want to hear it though!!
Old 06-27-15, 01:45 PM
SneakyTink
Driver School Candidate

I would also love to change my car to a manual in my sc300 but money is the biggest restriction.
Old 06-27-15, 01:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

That reminds me of the last time I had a real exhaust system built for my Ford. It's going to look great!
Old 06-27-15, 01:58 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not trying to thread jack but here's my cd009 1uz. Only complain is that i need to get a custom shifter for it to look more stock. I hit 2 6 and R.

It sits so far back.

That's how far it is.

Quick Reply: A manual SC400 is born: DD build thread