Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

A manual SC400 is born: DD build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 09:10 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REM
Nice sc400 hopefully I get mine looking like this soon! I won't be doing the w58 swap though :/ thinking I might go r154 for a beefier trans or a getrag (yes I know about doing the tunnel)...but maybe you can convince otherwise lol!
Before you commit to anything else, consider the 350z transmission.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...from-350z.html

Cheaper and far more plentiful than a V160 or R154, and about as durable as the getrag. This would actually have been the route I went if I hadn't already bought all the W58 stuff.
Old 05-29-13, 01:42 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Hy!

great work!

have you used a mk.IV W58 with tripod or with the internal shifter from the SC300?

is this the original high of the shifter? looks very low in the center console? or have you shorted your shifter?

Maybe can you take a picture from the side?

Thanks and very much fun with the SC! i will do a MT swap in the summer on my SC 400

greets from austria

Tom
Old 05-30-13, 04:07 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Boergy
Hy!

great work!

have you used a mk.IV W58 with tripod or with the internal shifter from the SC300?

is this the original high of the shifter? looks very low in the center console? or have you shorted your shifter?

Maybe can you take a picture from the side?

Thanks and very much fun with the SC! i will do a MT swap in the summer on my SC 400

greets from austria

Tom
It's the tripod style shifter. I used the entire shifter assembly from the TRD short shift kit. I didn't expect the shifter to be so much shorter than stock; short-throw shifters are supposed to only change the fulcrum, not the length, of the shifter. However the picture is a bit of an illusion, it sticks out about 4-5 inches, so a bit shorter than stock. It's not sunken all the way into boot as the picture may mislead you to believe. I'd love to take more pictures but I just have the worst luck, my car is getting a new tire at the shop (had a tire puncture and it couldn't be fixed). Hang in there guys, there will be more pictures soon!
Old 05-31-13, 12:02 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoaringSC
It's the tripod style shifter. I used the entire shifter assembly from the TRD short shift kit. I didn't expect the shifter to be so much shorter than stock; short-throw shifters are supposed to only change the fulcrum, not the length, of the shifter. However the picture is a bit of an illusion, it sticks out about 4-5 inches, so a bit shorter than stock. It's not sunken all the way into boot as the picture may mislead you to believe. I'd love to take more pictures but I just have the worst luck, my car is getting a new tire at the shop (had a tire puncture and it couldn't be fixed). Hang in there guys, there will be more pictures soon!
So the TRD short shifter did work for the Soarer Tripod setup? Just curious cuz I'm looking for SS. Currently I'm using solid shifter bushings where the tripod is at. You can view it in my build thread below.
Old 06-02-13, 05:32 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Here is a better picture of the shifter for you. I need to tuck the boot into the shifter or something, I don't like seeing the bare metal in between.

Originally Posted by Toyboxx
So the TRD short shifter did work for the Soarer Tripod setup? Just curious cuz I'm looking for SS. Currently I'm using solid shifter bushings where the tripod is at. You can view it in my build thread below.
It works for the tripod W58. Any W58 that uses the pre-tripod setup won't take the TRD.
Old 06-02-13, 07:56 AM
Boergy
Advanced

thanks for the picture!!!
Old 06-02-13, 04:18 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

By the way, I tested it on the highway. The 3.76 is tolerable but not advised if you do most of your commuting on highways. Though slightly better than the stock 3.92 final drive, with the 3.76 I'm turning 3k rpm at 70 mph (in 5th gear), pretty much confirming my earlier suspicions. I don't want to go to the 3.26 just yet; I'm hoping there's an in-between like the LS400 3.5x final drive. More pictures and updates will be forthcoming.
Old 06-11-13, 06:42 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Unfortunately, my mods have just been pushed back even further. I just found out the problems I thought were my bad drive shaft are actually the engine mounts. On top of this, the outside of my driver's side door-handle just stopped working, and none of the doors or trunk will unlock with the key anymore. Lovely timing, isn't it? Though it could be worse I suppose.
Old 06-11-13, 07:30 PM
KirbyDerpy
Driver School Candidate

The thing with the MAF, I would check the intake between the MAF and throttle--- could be the cause of the bucking, unmetered air.
Old 12-21-14, 05:35 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KirbyDerpy
The thing with the MAF, I would check the intake between the MAF and throttle--- could be the cause of the bucking, unmetered air.
I already said this, but I had my MAF unplugged because it wasn't running right with it plugged in. The problem has, oddly enough, gone away all on its own.

Anyways, I have some bad news, and some good news. Bad news first: this happened.

Family member swiped the crap out of my car as he backed up in his own driveway, without even looking backwards.

Then, this happened:

Really long story. Other driver failed to yield, but I was still ruled at-fault. Total floral, but whatever. Lesson learned. Sometime soon I'll be getting a dash-cam setup.

Good news! She's been repaired and repainted, buffed, the whole bit. Even had new chrome emblems installed on the rear (but not on the front? Looks a little off but not a huge complaint). I will update with pics eventually. There's salt and sand covering my roads now, so it's hard to keep anything clean enough for a photo unfortunately. You guys will just have to take my word for it, for now.
Old 12-22-14, 06:28 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Oh man, one step forward and another one back. Came outside this morning and noticed something was a little off with one of my rims.

Anyone know if this is fixable? If so, will the wheel ever be the same again after?
Old 01-01-15, 05:51 AM
Boergy
Advanced

hy!

now, i used a modified TRD Replics Shifter to a countersunk **** more pictures in my thread, shifter is only the upper part oem, lower is a NST Short Shifter and high adjusted to hae a perfect shift position for me.

greets

Tom
Old 01-01-15, 08:22 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Boergy
hy!

now, i used a modified TRD Replics Shifter to a countersunk **** more pictures in my thread, shifter is only the upper part oem, lower is a NST Short Shifter and high adjusted to hae a perfect shift position for me.

greets

Tom
I think my shifter is missing some parts, which might be why it sits so low. How did you get the leather boot to stay flush with the ****?
Old 01-02-15, 10:40 AM
Boergy
Advanced

hi!

I use a W58 tripod from a 96 Supra NA.

i modified the ****, the hole is 2mm less deeper as the **** is long. the fits perfect on the shifter and hold the leather boot down on the conical part.

my first solution was a washer and a piece from a fuel hose, but this was for me to high.

greets

Tom

Last edited by Boergy; 01-02-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 07:20 AM
Mastana
Rookie

Default Sc400 Conversion

Hey nice car man I was saying did it throw a CEL and if so how did you go about it?

Quick Reply: A manual SC400 is born: DD build thread