Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My slooowww build thread. Take 2.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 05:34 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope the flange just sits flat on this slight lip here but they don't sit in each other like a valve on its seat. It just sits perfectly flat. Here is what the wastegate has and it's considerably larger than the flanges seat so I'm not sure what to do now.

My slooowww build thread. Take 2.-forumrunner_20140628_193410.png
Old 06-28-14, 07:14 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Nope the flange just sits flat on this slight lip here but they don't sit in each other like a valve on its seat. It just sits perfectly flat. Here is what the wastegate has and it's considerably larger than the flanges seat so I'm not sure what to do now.

Attachment 334190
Then I would imagine the lipped edge side is probably for aligning the tube for welding. I'm assuming there is a gasket there as well to seal the valve seat.
Old 06-29-14, 01:39 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Well the wastegates valve sits super flush in its little seat. I'm gonna look around for gaskets.
Old 07-01-14, 05:51 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

So I've searched everywhere for a gasket for this 40mm Tial Sport wastegate 4 bolt style and have found NOTHING. Do these wastegates not require gaskets? Everything I've found is just cheap $#!T on ebay and none of it looks appropriate for this wastegate. I'm starting to freaking hate this manifold and wastegate...if anyone wants it for dirt cheap let me I would not mind just getting rid of it all.

edit: The wastegate sits so damn flush on the flange and that tiny little lip pictured above is so MINUSCULE that its probably half of a millimeter. Do I just run it without a gasket?

double dit: Just read on a dsm forum 2 dudes running a 35mm and a 40mm wastegate with NO gaskets on either the inlet or dump tube. Problem SOLVED.

Over and out.

PS: Just found a crap ton of people saying they dont run gaskets on the wastegate and supposedly "true surfaces are better". Makes sense I trust it enough and it solves the hunt for this particular gasket which doesn't exist. Sorry had a long day had to vent. LOL

Last edited by ashtray; 07-01-14 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 12:31 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Very minor update but a good one none the less...Got the proper wastegate flange welded on to the manifold and had 2 braces added for support to the turbo flange. Next stop is a nut and bolt shop to get it all held together. Still saving for other parts. Over and Out.
Old 08-11-14, 10:10 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

changed your name to booshiba?
Old 08-12-14, 12:01 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
changed your name to booshiba?
Yes but I shall pay homage to my true name in current and forever supreme signature.
Old 08-16-14, 11:47 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

What grade of nuts and bolt should I use to bolt the turbo, mani, and waste gate together? and would you all recommend a stud with 2 nuts or a bolt with one nut set up? I've read that lowes and home depot carry Grade 8 nuts bolts and studs which I'm assuming is strong enough for an under the hood application. Any insight?

Also does anyone recommend lock washers or just regular washers or none at all?
Old 08-18-14, 10:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you are talking metric then the higher grade most use is like a grade 10.x or something.
A grade 8 metric would be a lower grade and would probably be fine to use but I would try ace and get a 10 grade they have a better selection in the different grades depending on the store each one is a little different. Lock washers is a good idea, I use a regular washer then a lock washer then the hex nut.
Old 09-23-14, 07:50 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Got my oil feed set up. Went with the -4AN. Only thing is the hex bolts it came with do not fit in to the turbo. They're too wide. I figure it is just another stop to the bolt shop? Also just found a 3 inch v band downpipe for a great price that I might just jump on in the next few minutes so thats good.
Old 10-17-14, 02:24 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Picked up a super sweet brand new AEM ANALOG wideband : )
Old 10-21-14, 08:59 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Picked up a super sweet brand new AEM ANALOG wideband : )
So I want to install my wideband is it safe to drill out a bung for it into my MVP header? I just want to have it up and running 100%. Also at this point I'm about ready to start planning out and setting up everything to install my gte ecu, obdi lower runners with 550cc, going CoP and distributorless and installing my MAP sensor and switching over to the TT MAF. Basically going NA with the gte ecu setup to get all that sorted to 110% before I install anything turbo related.
Old 10-21-14, 09:33 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

So I want to install my wideband is it safe to drill out a bung for it into my MVP header? I just want to have it up and running 100%. Also at this point I'm about ready to start planning out and setting up everything to install my gte ecu, obdi lower runners with 550cc, going CoP and distributorless and installing my MAP sensor and switching over to the TT MAF. Basically going NA with the gte ecu setup to get all that sorted to 110% before I install anything turbo related.
Why are you installing both a MAP and MAF sensor?
Old 10-21-14, 10:12 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Why are you installing both a MAP and MAF sensor?
I went the USDM gte ecu route.
Old 10-22-14, 02:45 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I went the USDM gte ecu route.
Was thinking of the jdm ecu but then I don't know what all that would entail as far as my 550cc injectors and what to do with extra O2 sensors and then also having to get a IAT and ditching the MAF

Quick Reply: My slooowww build thread. Take 2.