Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My slooowww build thread. Take 2.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 09:21 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam seals/Timing belt question

So I recently got my timing belt and cam seals done, I'd say no more than 10k miles ago. If I were to decide to do the TT head gasket and ARP headstuds...can these current cam seals and timing belt be reused or do I need to replace them with new ones?

edit: knowing the history of the motor and the timing belt I'd feel OKAY, reusing the belt for at least a while and then replacing it maybe 20k down the road. The cam seals though?

double edit: now thinking of cam gears...thoughts?

Last edited by ashtray; 07-25-13 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-25-13, 11:26 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say the cam seals would be fine, but they're only a few bucks each and for peace of mind you can probably replace them. They are very simple to install, just pop the cam gears off, remove the old rubber band seal and put the new ones on. Check out the video named Jeffs: Servicing a 2JZ engine part two. He shows this method. There is also a separate video by Jeff on how to properly change the cam seal on a VVTI engine (yes, they're a lot different).
Old 07-25-13, 04:06 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I would say the cam seals would be fine, but they're only a few bucks each and for peace of mind you can probably replace them. They are very simple to install, just pop the cam gears off, remove the old rubber band seal and put the new ones on. Check out the video named Jeffs: Servicing a 2JZ engine part two. He shows this method. There is also a separate video by Jeff on how to properly change the cam seal on a VVTI engine (yes, they're a lot different).
Yeah I think I'll be fine on those two things if I decide to do the TT HG and ARP headstuds.

Does anyone know where to get a dizzy cover for after the distributor delete? I've seen a bunch of nice metal ones does anyone know? I think I'm doing the GTE ecu and COP conversion install tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by ashtray; 07-25-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 09:37 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

There really isnt one... yet. You have to make it.

There may come a time soon when someone makes a decent one.... but for now I just leave mine open.
Old 07-26-13, 09:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would cover it with something and not leave it open for too long, you don't want your crank or cam sensors going bad from turbo heat and dust etc..
Old 07-26-13, 11:06 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I would cover it with something and not leave it open for too long, you don't want your crank or cam sensors going bad from turbo heat and dust etc..
im currently talking with a company about re-producing billet ones. I found a place who just makes custom 2j parts and they used to produce them. But now the only ones left from the run are in australia. oh and they say supra on em too. lol
Old 07-26-13, 12:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that would be great, I am normally more function over form, but I do want a shiny distributor cap =)
Old 07-26-13, 02:02 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Yeah let's get these dizzy caps done on a large scale! I'd love matte red one.
Old 08-04-13, 08:00 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Quick update...just picked up this undivided manifold for practically highway robbery. A great guy gave me a great deal. BUT...my current TiAL wastegate does not match up at all...ideas? It's an XSpower manifold. Hate if you must, could not pass up on the deal and for the numbers I'm gonna be running it'll do perfectly fine.

Oh and the turbo sits fine. Thankfully no clocking will need to be done.

Last edited by ashtray; 08-04-13 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 04:22 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Cut it off and weld on a new flange to fit.
Old 08-05-13, 06:17 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Any idea where to get a flange and gasket plus hardware? The gate came by itself since its used.
Old 08-05-13, 07:58 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

if the manifold tube diameter is the same as that of the wastegate opening , you probably get away just drilling new mounting holes on the flange and trim the flange as same square size of that wastegate. Then put a gasket in between.
Old 08-05-13, 10:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah what Gerb said you can try re-drilling the flange, or making/buying an adapter plate, or cutting it off and welding it.
The xs power manifold is fine, I still have it on my car including the xs wastegate that would bolt on there and they work for me, but since you have a nice tial its worth chopping it off and you would need the new one to weld on which is what most end up doing.
Old 08-05-13, 03:17 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Just realized its a damn GTE manifold. Gonna sell it. Damn bolt pattern. GTE has 12 bolts. GE has 8. UGHHHH nothing is more frustrating than the opposite of progression.
Old 08-05-13, 07:04 PM
MacGyverQu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Just realized its a damn GTE manifold. Gonna sell it. Damn bolt pattern. GTE has 12 bolts. GE has 8. UGHHHH nothing is more frustrating than the opposite of progression.
Since you got a good deal, you can sell that sucker and probably end up on the upside of the deal and a bit wiser...

Quick Reply: My slooowww build thread. Take 2.