Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Build Threads
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

My slooowww build thread. Take 2.

Old 07-17-13, 10:40 AM   #31
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru
Trader Score: (10)

yeah you guys should be fine around that power level, I have been running 14 psi for a while now the w58 can take it but just give it that extra second between gears, if you have to downshift into boost to take off.. do that shift slowly don't worry you will catch back up once you are in gear.

the shaft play sounds fine, try not to spin it a whole bunch if you have to put some oil in the center section and then the play should decrease also.
Manifold wise I opt for the universals although the driftmotion one is not much more coin. since you are going coil on plug, you won't have to worry about distributor clearance, which is the main problem with the universals. many use them and I haven't seen any turbo's fall off a JZ on here yet.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

1995 Lexus SC300 5spd Na-T ( TT Ecu Mod + a few others)
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 11:49 AM   #32
ashtray
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott101 View Post
i might have missed it but what coil packs and injectors are those?
thanks
scott
The injectors are RC550's and the coil packs are the 2jzge VVT-i's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali SC3 View Post
yeah you guys should be fine around that power level, I have been running 14 psi for a while now the w58 can take it but just give it that extra second between gears, if you have to downshift into boost to take off.. do that shift slowly don't worry you will catch back up once you are in gear.

the shaft play sounds fine, try not to spin it a whole bunch if you have to put some oil in the center section and then the play should decrease also.
Manifold wise I opt for the universals although the driftmotion one is not much more coin. since you are going coil on plug, you won't have to worry about distributor clearance, which is the main problem with the universals. many use them and I haven't seen any turbo's fall off a JZ on here yet.
Good to know your w58 is holding up well after so long. Ya the shaft play is seriously negligible and once oil is in it that should help. It's sitting in a bag in a box so I aint messing with it until I decide to paint the compressor housing. Might see if I can get around to the GTE and COP distributor delete this weekend just to have that out of the way and later on just bolt everything up. Been busy lately. Is it a bad idea to put a compressor housing in an oven to bake paint onto it?

120 Club Member - NA 1997 5spd. SC300
A few mods. Thanks to KingpiN.SC for sig. pic.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 12:43 PM   #33
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

you mean the hotside or the turbine housing, don't think you want to paint the front of the turbo =)
yeah as long as its just the housing, I wouldn't stick the whole turbo in there or anything like that but those parts see temps much hotter than an oven on a regular basis, so you should be fine.
Some just use the first start up as the bake, then let it cool down, and that cylcles is but its not as nice as doing it the right way.

good luck with getting the housing off also, thats where mileage on the turbo can come into play if its never been opened before, some come off easy, some you gotta use a vice on the center cartridge and whale on it with a deadblow hammer while torching it from various angles, but from looking at the turbo it looks in good shape it should be more the comes off easily type.

Old 07-17-13, 12:47 PM   #34
ashtray
Lexus Champion

Quote:
you mean the hotside or the turbine housing, don't think you want to paint the front of the turbo =)
yeah as long as its just the housing, I wouldn't stick the whole turbo in there or anything like that but those parts see temps much hotter than an oven on a regular basis, so you should be fine.
Some just use the first start up as the bake, then let it cool down, and that cylcles is but its not as nice as doing it the right way.

good luck with getting the housing off also, thats where mileage on the turbo can come into play if its never been opened before, some come off easy, some you gotta use a vice on the center cartridge and whale on it with a deadblow hammer while torching it from various angles, but from looking at the turbo it looks in good shape it should be more the comes off easily type.
No I do want to paint the front haha. I wanna have a black theme going on. Plus every turbo looks the same, they're all the same gray color or chrome. I'd like to do something a little different haha I dont think I'll do anything to the exhaust housing...that reminds me, one bolt is missing on the exhaust housing, do I contact Precision for this bolt? It's a bolt that holds the exhaust housing to the actual core.

Old 07-18-13, 08:05 AM   #35
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

I see, yeah that should be fine just take it easy with the heat. the bolt is probably a m8 or m10 or something like that, you can contact them or just take the one next to it out and find a copy at ace they usually have all the Metric bolts, match both the thread and length and go shorter if you have to rather than longer.

Old 07-18-13, 09:41 AM   #36
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Just go to the hardware store and get one. Dont bother calling precision. It will be way cheaper and take a lot less time.
2006 Lexus IS250 AWD SGM (Wife's Whip)
lookEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-13, 10:16 PM   #37
ashtray
Lexus Champion

Quote:
I see, yeah that should be fine just take it easy with the heat. the bolt is probably a m8 or m10 or something like that, you can contact them or just take the one next to it out and find a copy at ace they usually have all the Metric bolts, match both the thread and length and go shorter if you have to rather than longer.
In the oven curing as I type this. Will post final results when put back together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookEVO View Post
Just go to the hardware store and get one. Dont bother calling precision. It will be way cheaper and take a lot less time.
Very good very good.

Old 07-19-13, 01:30 AM   #38
ashtray
Lexus Champion

Before

After

Came out exactly as I wanted with a Caution red hot color. It's simple VHT 2000 degree flame proof header paint with a silica/ceramic contents. Let us see how long it lasts once on the car. Cured it exactly as it states on the can.

Old 07-19-13, 01:30 AM   #39
jwin
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (15)

Send a message via AIM to jwin

Man it looks really good.
Old 07-19-13, 10:36 AM   #40
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

That looks great. Makes me wanna do it now.
2006 Lexus IS250 AWD SGM (Wife's Whip)
lookEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 11:28 AM   #41
ashtray
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwin View Post
Man it looks really good.
Thank you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookEVO View Post
That looks great. Makes me wanna do it now.
Do it!

So I decided to not do the TT headgasket nor the ARP headstuds. I'm only running 12 psi for now and with a stable set up and tune coming from the GTE ecu, I'll trust that my current headgasket will be fine. When I upgrade the tranny and plan for more boost, then I'll do the headgasket and arp headstuds. I'd rather not open up the motor seeing as how I've been MORE than diligent with my oil changes and regular maintenance. I trust the headgasket is in fine shape and more than ready to handle 12 psi.

Old 07-23-13, 12:38 PM   #42
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru

at 12 psi it should be fine, and man that turbo did come out nice!!

Old 07-23-13, 01:35 PM   #43
Tabaka
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (8)

shanetabaka shanetabaka shanetabaka shane_tabaka
Send a message via AIM to Tabaka Send a message via MSN to Tabaka

That's one fire engine red turbine, looks great!

I decided to move forward with the headgasket and ARP studs. I know it's going to add another $265 to my build, but I'd rather just get it done rather than wait for it down the road. Plus this will be the opportunity to change out a few seals like the cams. I might just rip out those cam gears for some nicer looking ones anyways

1st Gen SC... it's like a hot girl with Herpes, Syphilis, and AIDS
Tabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 06:33 PM   #44
ashtray
Lexus Champion

Quote:
at 12 psi it should be fine, and man that turbo did come out nice!!
Hopefully 12 psi is okay. I'd HATE a blown hg. But oh well we'll see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaka View Post
That's one fire engine red turbine, looks great!

I decided to move forward with the headgasket and ARP studs. I know it's going to add another $265 to my build, but I'd rather just get it done rather than wait for it down the road. Plus this will be the opportunity to change out a few seals like the cams. I might just rip out those cam gears for some nicer looking ones anyways
See I just had a timing belt change along with cam seals as well. I'd hate to open up the motor now.

If anything I'd get a shop to do it...

Old 07-23-13, 11:40 PM   #45
Joey-E
Lexus Champion

GL on the build coming up man Rarely see a painted turbo painted like that looks good
Old 07-23-13, 11:40 PM

Tags
budget, build, ceramic, na-t, paint, red, vht